PDA

View Full Version : George best

monkimagic
26th November 2005, 04:00 AM
Not a lot of good came out of Belfast in the 70's and sadly one of them died today from alcholism.

Growing up in Belfast in the 70's was colourful to say the least but one consistancy was pictures of George Best on the Mantel piece of every home.

If you were prodestant it was The Queen and George Best.
If you were Catholic it was The Pope and George Best.

But sadly his biggest opponent beat him today.

Monki

The Dogfather
26th November 2005, 04:03 AM
A sad end to a true talent:(

Gismo
26th November 2005, 05:00 AM
An absolute footballing magician and i just hope that the press and the media will concentrate on his good points and don't dwell on the addiction that took his life
Sure he had his troubles and let a few folk down, but what he did give us was something extra special
I, for one, will never forget his skills and entertaining abilities

MartinSullivan
26th November 2005, 05:02 AM
As Bonnie says he should be remembered for what he brought to the game of football

monkimagic
26th November 2005, 05:04 AM
Just watched a show on the beep, very cool. a lot of focus on him as a player.

It was called "theres only one George Best"

phantom
26th November 2005, 05:21 AM
I worked for two years on a kidney dialysis ward in Dundee, so know just how rare the offer of a transplant is and how much patients waiting for one suffer.
Someone had to go without so this transplant could be wasted.

N12 JLK
26th November 2005, 06:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by phantom

I worked for two years on a kidney dialysis ward in Dundee, so know just how rare the offer of a transplant is and how much patients waiting for one suffer.

have to say I agree!

Scottie
26th November 2005, 06:19 AM
I've nothing to say about his health side

but I was lucky enough to see him play live ok he was in his thirties and at Hibs but you could tell he was a natural still had all the skill.

J Cee
26th November 2005, 07:03 AM
Sorry if I upset anybody here.

But we need to get real, George Best the man that wasted his own life away only to get a second chance with someone else’s liver and waste that chance too.

Ps: I have a friend who has been waiting for a kidney donor for nearly four years that’s what happens when your just a working class joe.

Big Gordy
26th November 2005, 07:30 AM
Also I don't think there is anyone else who can lay claim to the record of bedding so many Miss Worlds:p:D How many was it:question:4:eek: :p:D:approve:

duncan
26th November 2005, 07:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I've nothing to say about his health side

but I was lucky enough to see him play live ok he was in his thirties and at Hibs but you could tell he was a natural still had all the skill.

One of our old trainers at the S&T training school in Edinburgh claimed he used to be a drinking buddy of Bestie when he was at Hibs.
I didn't doubt the trainer, he was a raving alcoholic too.

Shame to see someone with so much talent pee it all away.
Especially when he got a second chance.

Sheilz
26th November 2005, 09:08 AM

Have to agree. The legend is in excess of his achievements.

Gismo
26th November 2005, 05:42 PM
How do you know that the liver would have been given to anyone "more deserving" and wouldn't have "wasted" it themselves
Bestie's transplant gave him extra years of life, admittedly it may have allowed someone "more deserving" to live a wee bit longer

Smurf
27th November 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm far more sad about the death of Richard Burns, which has been absolutely obliterated by the death of an alcoholic footballer.

J Cee
27th November 2005, 02:31 AM
Smurf,

You have just hit it right on the head. Everything on the TV today has been about GB only one mention of the great Mr burns a true hero who has passed away due to no fault of his own.

Big Gordy
27th November 2005, 05:21 AM
WHAT....!!
Holy $hit,when did that happen:question: They kept that quiet:blackeye: Always supported McRae but doesn't detrack from the fact he was a bloody good driver. A Welsh co-driver now a driver,aww man that sucks:disapprove:

zimbo
27th November 2005, 09:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

WHAT....!!
Holy $hit,when did that happen:question: They kept that quiet:blackeye: Always supported McRae but doesn't detrack from the fact he was a bloody good driver. A Welsh co-driver now a driver,aww man that sucks:disapprove:

Yeh? NO WAY!!

As for Best, he got a second chance at life with someone elses liver and he wasted that too!! Thats not on. :mad:

minidriver#1
27th November 2005, 01:01 PM
show some heart folks. Everyone knows Best made mistakes. Today he was remember for his FOOTBALLING skills and the other good things about him and the joy that he brought to millions of people. The media are at fault for portraying him as an alcoholic, which he wasm but do you see the media villify smokers? everyone knew that side of the story and thats all people pick up on , the negative side of things, like vultures. Its despicable.

He had a physical and psychological illness, an addiction. If one of our members died through smoking related illness will you show the same ****ing contempt?

Shame on you.

If a drug addict died in the street you know its partly their fault, but i wouldnt spit on their grave like some of you people are doing. We are all human, we all make mistakes.

Gismo
27th November 2005, 06:10 PM
Nice one KJ, not many things get my back up, but reading some of the posts are very hurtful, imagine if any of Bestie's family were to be reading this :disapprove:

The Dogfather
27th November 2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with Bonnie and KJ, some of the comments on this thread are awful.

phantom
27th November 2005, 07:51 PM
Its also awful to watch friends die on dislysis machines awaiting a donor, which I have done many times.
Smoking and drug addictions dont require someone else to die to be offered a second chance with a transplant.
George was a legend right up to the point he rubbished his second chance, sorry if that offends anyone.

Gismo
27th November 2005, 08:52 PM
George was a legend right up to the point he rubbished his second chance, sorry if that offends anyone.
It doesn't offend me as such, but maybe GB's son, Calum, may have had a tear in his eye as he watched him through to the end.
He also maybe thought that his dad's new liver gave them more time together, albeit he was a non deserving alcoholic

phantom
27th November 2005, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

It doesn't offend me as such, but maybe GB's son, Calum, may have had a tear in his eye as he watched him through to the end.
He also maybe thought that his dad's new liver gave them more time together, albeit he was a non deserving alcoholic

Fair comment.

minidriver#1
27th November 2005, 11:56 PM
it should be noted that Best has also donated his organs, lets not forget that either.

Smurf
28th November 2005, 12:06 AM
I've nothing against the man, I just don't see him as the huge hero that the news has made him out to be. I cannot believe that there's nothing more serious going on in the world at the moment, to warrant his death being HEADLINE news.

I feel for his family, and all respect to them, I just don't think it's the major event it's been blown up into.

Like I said, I'm far more saddened by the untimely death of Richard Burns. And there's been very little of that mentioned in the news.

Big Col
28th November 2005, 05:11 PM
For further advice on how to be a better person please visit KJ at www.sanctimoniousforums.com

Is sad that George Best has past away. My heart goes out to his family.

Julz
28th November 2005, 07:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

He had a physical and psychological illness, an addiction. If one of our members died through smoking related illness will you show the same ****ing contempt?

I would! My father died twice on an operating table whilst going through a quadruple heart bypass and caratoid artery clear out due to his excessive smoking and drinking. He is still with us and still spending most of his days smoking and drinking which I have no time for whatsoever. He, like Best, has been given a second chance which he has decided to waste so I have no time for people, my father included, who waste the second chance of living when they wrecked it the first time round!

It is unfortunate that his behaviour in his later years has overshadowed his brilliance as a footballer, but having only really been aware of his abilities off the pitch (before my time and not a big football fan) I do feel for his family but have no pity for the man whatsoever.

minidriver#1
29th November 2005, 06:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
For further advice on how to be a better person please visit KJ at www.sanctimoniousforums.com

Is sad that George Best has past away. My heart goes out to his family.

as constructive as usual i see. what about those that agree with me? are they equally hipocritical? how do my comments make me a hypocrite?

i never said i was perfect, i'm just not cold hearted.

And Julz, i would comment on your post, but its content is personal and its got nothing to do with me and to avoid any conflict i'm going to leave it at that.

The Dogfather
29th November 2005, 07:23 AM
as constructive as usual i see. what about those that agree with me? are they equally hipocritical? how do my comments make me a hypocrite?

i never said i was perfect, i'm just not cold hearted.

And Julz, i would comment on your post, but its content is personal and its got nothing to do with me and to avoid any conflict i'm going to leave it at that.

KJ, in Col's defence I think he may have been joking.

sleepyrascal
29th November 2005, 07:43 AM
Isn't this thread a testiment to why Best was headline news? He was the sort of guy who grabbed the attention of the public eye, for many different reasons. Some thought he was a waste of space, some see him as a legend and a victim of his own success.

I cant say I was his biggest fan but at the same time I have to respect his talent. Who knows how each one of us would behave if we were suddenly in our 20s, one of the greatest footballers in the world, we could have any woman/man we wanted, we had bulging bank accounts and a lot of spare time on our hands.

Best was a sad lonely old man who found comfort in alcohol. Not surprising really.

Richard Burns death is very sad but the reason for the lack of publicity surrounding him is that 90% of the population have no idea who he is!

minidriver#1
29th November 2005, 07:46 AM
emoticons are here for a reason! lol

monkimagic
29th November 2005, 09:13 AM
Jeeze this thread is getting heavy, although some may feel too much so.

I think its good to have a little bit of opion not evolving around the Mini.

There is a lot of critism around best and how he led his life, his demise is very, very sad, as a young lad in Belfast my friends and I adored him and I look fondly upon that and will not be swayed however narrow minded that is.

In regards to Richard Burns, yes he was good at what he did but Best was the original sporting Icon, this is why the press have focused on him and not burns, who remembers Joey Dunlop ??? not many !! Joey is my all time sporting hero.

Five Times World Motorcycle Champion Joey Dunlop who has been tragically killed while racing in Estonia was a legend in his own lifetime . Joey started racing in 1969 and first came to the Isle of Man TT races in 1976. He won his first TT, the 1977 Jubilee TT on a Rea Yamaha and was to go on to win 26 TT's, gaining 80 TT Replica's from ninety eight starts in a 25 year TT career.

My point here is that Joey and Burns are not competing in a sport that is in the public eye, Best was. although Joey's career beats that of every other motoring sportsman, including Schuey, Rossi, senna, Mansel ect... Not many remember him and if they do they dont know what for, his death was huge in Ireland but not much was reported here.

http://www.mcb.net/ttraces/tt/joey/dun96.jpg

http://www.mcb.net/ttraces/tt/joey/dun80.jpg

Big Col
29th November 2005, 04:57 PM

Sanctimonious doesn't mean simply hypocritical chap.

www.dictionary.com

Oh and :D;):):p:clown::cool::eek:8):blackeye: just to save a further twisting of the undercrackers.:)

minidriver#1
29th November 2005, 05:17 PM
I know what it means, it also means excessively pious. However I should have known you weren’t being serious… you wear your phone on your belt. :P

Big Col
29th November 2005, 05:33 PM
Since I dunno what "you wear your phone on your belt" means I'm just going to assume it means that I'm a top bloke. :)

minidriver#1
29th November 2005, 05:37 PM
;)