PDA

View Full Version : Good weather playthings or good playthings ?

monkimagic
26th November 2005, 12:22 AM
I know some folk dont drive thier cars on winter roads but, I dont get it. Having a Mini is all about the driving, and when its a bit wet and mucky then its that little bit more interesting. if its not driven then is it not just a redundant plaything.

Its the same with bikes, I clean both of them if they are dirty but I was out this afternoon on the south dee side road, lovely and twisty yet sooo very mucky. riding in the wet is a blast ! keep the balance of grip and speed, scraping the footpegs and having to clear the salt off my visor.:D but I am alone ! no other bikes to be seen until the summer comes and all the lovely shiney race bikes come out.

I have been sat beside many a lovely shiney bike with my somewhat scruffier Bandit, at pubs, meets & traffic lights. on lookers may say the others is nicer but I know I have much more fun with mine.;)

I ask the question. Should Vechiles be goog weather playthings ? or should they be just good playthings ?

Monki

zimbo
26th November 2005, 12:28 AM
Well my car is my winter transport and my new bike will be my good weather good plaything or no that should be GREAT plaything...:D

sleepyrascal
26th November 2005, 12:46 AM
My car comes out in all weather. I like my car when its dirty!! And MINIs are great fun in the snow!!!!

I can understabd why people might not want to expose their cars to winter conditions, but I'm not really a show and shine type of person. I'm more of a thrash and get it mucky kind of person.

Craig
26th November 2005, 12:59 AM
I know what your saying monki, but bikes take one hell of a beating in the winter weather. A five year old bike which has not been out in the winter will look 10 times better than a 1 year old bike used all year round. That's because of the corrosion that will start very soon after using the bike in winter.

If you buy the bike to use it, then good on you, if like me, you bought the bike to take out when you had spare time and the weather was good, then it will look better for longer and hold it's value.

just my tuppence.. ;)

monkimagic
26th November 2005, 02:25 AM
What other reason is there to buy a Bike/Mini than use it and have fun regardless of the weather. but yeah the weather can be hard on a bike but Grease, Scotoiler, dampstart ect... keep all the muck away and then the cleaning is a doddle.

I rent a lockup from the council where my bike lives at night, there is a ZXR750 & an R6 keeping it company, tucked up for the winter by a couple of mates, dont get it. I see them each morning. each lockup, all 10 of them have bikes that never come out unless its a sunny sunday.

My brother has a Mark 111 Cortina, it has a 2.8i Capri engine, race diff, suspension, 18" profiles on chrome rims. He had it sprayed BRG 2 years ago from the ground up. its as fast as ****, but it never gets played with. I just dont get it. he spends more time cleaning it than driving it. Granted it is a show car and has won. but its a toy that sits redundant.
infact, overall its a car that should be drove.

Big Gordy
26th November 2005, 02:56 AM
One good reason for not riding in the winter.....its too fecking cold:eek:brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:D. In a slightly different vane I have the same quandry with some of the guys in my bike club (Scottish Classics) I own a 1963 Scambler that I race when I can.....but most folk think I'm mad:evil::p They recon its worth too much to get it dirty. But,I explain,that's what it was built for:D I personaly woudn't ride in the winter8) Its risky enough in the sunny weather without some plonker who hasn't de-iced his windows ploughing into me:dead: :p:D:approve:

minidriver#1
26th November 2005, 04:23 AM
i try not to drive the car in winter not because its a mini, but because of the parts i've added to the car.

gill
26th November 2005, 04:53 AM
Our wee min is used all year round - it's fun on the icy roads!!! :D

It's a shame I can't keep it clean though! But who can???

Craig
26th November 2005, 06:24 AM
quote:It's a shame I can't keep it clean though! But who can???

markyc.......he cleans his every day...:eek:;):D

N12 JLK
26th November 2005, 06:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

quote:It's a shame I can't keep it clean though! But who can???

markyc.......he cleans his every day...:eek:;):D

Oh'er matron!:D

Scottie
26th November 2005, 06:32 AM
my mini stays tucked up in the garage in this kind of weather :I:I I do go in and look at her most days:I but if I had to I would take her out:)

john
26th November 2005, 06:40 AM
I used my 1200 Bandit in all weather,and my MINI too:)thats why my first mini had 19000 miles in the first year:cool:

I no longer have a bike,it had to be one or the other

J Cee
26th November 2005, 07:04 AM
Hi Monkimagic

I have to say I do agree with every thing you say. The only reason I put my bike and mini off the road in winter is: I don’t like the idea of throwing my blade down the road or some plonka running in to the back of my wee bundle of joy in icy conditions oh and the salt thing is a big concern.

sleepyrascal
26th November 2005, 10:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by J Cee

Hi Monkimagic

I have to say I do agree with every thing you say. The only reason I put my bike and mini off the road in winter is: I don’t like the idea of throwing my blade down the road or some plonka running in to the back of my wee bundle of joy in icy conditions oh and the salt thing is a big concern.

Salt thing? Big concern? Eh..... why?

minidriver#1
26th November 2005, 10:17 AM
salt is corrosive... innit.

sleepyrascal
26th November 2005, 11:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

salt is corrosive... innit.

Surely not! Well, very slightly perhaps, but not if you give your car a quick wash now and again. I would have thought all the materials will have been treated to resist corrosion from things like road salt. Well, exhausts and other short life components aside.

I suppose if keeping your car shiny and clean at all times is your game then winter driving is a no go.

Duncan Stewart
27th November 2005, 05:09 AM
I agree that you should use your 'toys'. My Cooper and classic get used in all weathers :D but then they are not show cars. Some people get most pleasure out of polishing not driving.
Mind you I am trying to use my current Cooper less so it lasts longer - it broke my heart parting with my previous Cooper!:I

Crombers
28th November 2005, 06:46 PM
364/5 days a year regardless of road muck. As we all saw at MINI/Oxford these things are built to withstand the elements :approve: