PDA

View Full Version : Community Grid

euan
24th November 2005, 09:08 PM
Hello all,

The link below is to a website where you can download a piece of software that runs medical projects. The current project is to try and see what effect various drugs have on the AIDS virus. Once you download it, it runs silently and does not impact the performance of your system - it only runs when your not doing anything. It also lets you join together with other people running it so you can pool your efforts and see how much you (or your group) are contributing! I thought if a few of us signed up we could create a NMS group.

There is a website where you can get more info and download the bits and pieces you need.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Cheers, Euan.

MartinSullivan
24th November 2005, 09:16 PM
I did something similar to this a while back - it was to decode radio transmissions from space I seem to remember, basically used all the users pc's in parallel. Im happy to sign up for a group contribution if anyone else is.

sleepyrascal
24th November 2005, 09:59 PM
me2

GAJ
24th November 2005, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I did something similar to this a while back - it was to decode radio transmissions from space I seem to remember, basically used all the users pc's in parallel. Im happy to sign up for a group contribution if anyone else is.

SETI! Still listening . . .

euan
24th November 2005, 10:30 PM
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but....

Listening to space or helping to find drugs to solve a horrid disease?

GAJ
24th November 2005, 10:58 PM
But the aliens might have a cure with their infinitely superior technology!

Burple
24th November 2005, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

But the aliens might have a cure with their infinitely superior technology!

But..but..but... Haven't you been watching 'Threshold'???????

:D:D:D
Love to help out, but my two PC's here change state almost daily sometimes.. there's no way I could keep the software on it and up and running. bums :(

Scottie
24th November 2005, 11:59 PM
all sounds a bit geeky to me but hey if that's what floats your boat who am I to say.:p;):)

euan
25th November 2005, 12:31 AM
Aliens are geeky :) Grid technology is fantastic!

So, has anyone created a team? I'm already in one and can't be in two.

weefossy
25th November 2005, 06:52 AM
Not into "Grid technology" probably cause I don't understand it..... but I have bought a herd of goats, instead of buying xmas cards.... and the money from the usual "secret Santa" is going to buy a flock of sheep!!