PDA

View Full Version : To S or not to S

Crombers
23rd November 2005, 10:24 PM
Ma brain is in a turmoil

Put yourself in the fortunate/lucky position of being able to spend a few bob on a MINI next summer. The options are :

A) Keep the current 04 Coop & add the Aerokit , Spots , JCW Sound System & Black Vipers ..................OR

B) Go for a post 54 plate (170bhp) S

C) Keep the money & wait for the New MINI

What would you go for & why would ya :question::kiss:

Scottie
23rd November 2005, 10:26 PM
C) Keep the money & wait for the New MINI

bpirie1000
23rd November 2005, 10:28 PM
Go for the S 170

Makes a hell of a difference in Performance..

Or You could Keep the 04 coop don't add the Stuff and get a play mini exhaust and Induction for half the price.

Thn you'l have more money for the new one and Stil have a Mean looking mini..

Personal Opinion only..

Anyways it is a win win situation either way..

cheers..
Brian

Heather
23rd November 2005, 10:29 PM
I would go for option a) as its near to what I have (except aero kit) and keep a little bit by in case the new MINI blows you away. :)

john
24th November 2005, 12:53 AM
Keep yer cooper;)

Mini Me
24th November 2005, 12:54 AM
I would phone the MINI Guru at Menzies, and follow his advice to the letter :p:p

KenL
24th November 2005, 12:57 AM
Go for a good long test drive in an S.

Personally, I would wait for the new model.

What's the latest on the release date, late 2006? Cooper is rumoured to be going up to 140bhp is it not?

Gismo
24th November 2005, 01:24 AM
Having had them all, i would highly recommend having a cooper, not an S, the cooper handles and drives so much better
The S will only out perform a cooper in a straight line

Crombers
24th November 2005, 01:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

I would phone the MINI Guru at Menzies, and follow his advice to the letter :p:p

;) Me thinks you & Menzies will be part of the equation anyroads sir :approve:

Crombers
24th November 2005, 01:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Having had them all, i would highly recommend having a cooper, not an S, the cooper handles and drives so much better
The S will only out perform a cooper in a straight line

I do recall having a conversation with yourself & John on the Cullen run & both of you (who know a thing or two about motors) highlighted the fact that the Cooper was the best of the bunch & you guys have driven some mean MINI's in your time. Just a bit miffed that I might be missing out on the 'S' experience :p

Duncan Stewart
24th November 2005, 01:45 AM
I'd wait until prices & specs of new new mini released

Gismo
24th November 2005, 01:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers
Just a bit miffed that I might be missing out on the 'S' experience :p
It purely depends on what you want from the car ;)
If you want a driving car that you have to keep on song, be in the right gear and be quicker out of the corners with etc, then the cooper is perfect
If you're wanting a bit more poke with a less demanding driving style then an S is the answer, however, if you're seeking raw power, for those overtaking moves and leaving the Corsa's at the lights then you'll need more than a 170 BHP S will give you, you're into JCW territory or more, BBR springs to mind.

At the end of the day it's gonna be your choice, a longer than normal test drive will be more useful

Wul
24th November 2005, 02:02 AM
Crombers - also having had the pleasure of driving all the options in your position i'd stick with the cooper too - the only attributes the S has over the cooper is a nicer sound from the supercharger (i'm sure someone could do you a CD of this noise to play in the car;)) and top straight line speed! A few tweaks to the filter, ECU and zorst would be a much more cost effective improvement. The S is very thirsty compared to the cooper and more expensive to insure!

Is I was doing it all again i'd spec a reasonable ONE then MTH it or get a cooper :D

The Dogfather
24th November 2005, 02:20 AM
Stick with the Cooper and wait for the new car!

euan
24th November 2005, 03:09 AM
My view before would always have been get an S as I loved it. But then the Cooper with the tweaks described would be a great little car. My money now would go on a Cooper + a few bits.

New car - I'll wait to be convinced, but I think it's going to look a bit odd with the high bonnet.

Big Gordy
24th November 2005, 04:06 AM
quote:If I was doing it all again i'd spec a reasonable ONE then MTH it
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder where he got that idea from;) :p:D:approve:

Craig
24th November 2005, 04:28 AM
Crombers, you've been in my car and see what difference it made. I would stick with your car and have some fun :D:D

The "S" would be sooooo much more expensive to run (MPG, Insurance etc..) and as others have said you will probably only really notice it in the straights. If you want a fix, hire that motor MarkyC had for a weekend and that will make your mind up ;)

I would have to wait a year to 2 years with the new car for them to iron out all the niggles before I would part with my cash..

In short - pimp yer cooper!:D:D:D

Scottie
24th November 2005, 04:29 AM
hey what's with the S bashing:(:p;)

how about trying to get a GP ( no not a doctor) or wait until June/July and pick up a nice wee used Astro Black low milage S;);)

if you can't wait on the new models.

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 04:34 AM
Go get an 'S'..........you really wont regret it......its just got that something over the standard Cooper. Yes they both handle very well but get a weekend test drive (you can if you ask nicely)of an 'S' and you will buy one. And later (or sooner) as budget allows, tune it with the Works kit or something equally tried and tested.(none of your rubbish mind)

It comes down to what you want to spend of course, its your hard earned cash, but the 'S' is absolutely the better car if you are looking to do some 'spirited' driving.....which you can, as stated above, do in a standard or mildly tweeked Cooper.....but its better in an 'S'.

Oh, yes it is......oh......etc etc (it is!)

:)

M

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 04:40 AM
Hang on....only really notice the difference in the straights? Eh, what?

The Cooper is a great car but its no Cooper 'S'....Go buy one.

M

Smurf
24th November 2005, 05:12 AM
Having read all the comments above, and only having had Coopers, I would take option a!! :D
A Coop with all the bits would be my choice.

Then if you've anything left over - buy a classic too!!! :D

The Dogfather
24th November 2005, 05:21 AM
Sorry Martin, I disagree. True the S is a fantastic car but so is the Cooper, having driven them both I don't feel that the S is worth the extra money in fuel and in purchase price. :eek:

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 05:32 AM
Bad Dog.........oh yes it is.....(oh no it is'nt....oh yes...... ;))

I do drive them both and the 'S' is much better....But then the Works 's' is even better still.....:)

Quite emotive this eh?....ha ha

As long as it puts the right grin on your face....which they all do!

M

AndyP & Lenore
24th November 2005, 05:37 AM
Crombers, you should go with whatever makes you and your bank manager happy.:D We have driven both the Cooper and Cooper S and we have to say that on a country twisty road the Cooper can keep up with an S nae probs!:D but we still love our S.:D:D

SC, you talking about getting rid of your black Cooper S already:question::eek::eek::):eek:

Scottie
24th November 2005, 05:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

SC, you talking about getting rid of your black Cooper S already:question::eek::eek::):eek:
was always getting rid of summer of next year being traded for the GP then the silver JCW's will be traded for the new mini cooper turbo:cool:

Craig
24th November 2005, 05:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Having read all the comments above, and only having had Coopers, I would take option a!! :D
A Coop with all the bits would be my choice.

Then if you've anything left over - buy a classic too!!! :D

sounds like a plan Vaila.......;);)

markyc
24th November 2005, 05:48 AM
You know my opinion Alan since i had the S down to the Mothership ;) If it was me I would spec up the Coop :p:cool::D

The Dogfather
24th November 2005, 05:49 AM
Martin! Oh no its isn't ;)

Crombers - Remember the Cullen Run, those 'modded' S were never too far ahead. Plus we caught them up because they had to fill up more often. I reckon your more likely to enjoy the Cooper more as you can take it to its limit even in the wet. Remember when it comes to driving power corrupts :D

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 06:04 AM
Bad Dog.....oh yes it is.... ha ha

Anyway, are you saying you cant take an 'S' 'to its limit'? You have been driving that calor gas powered thingy too long..... ;)

m

GAJ
24th November 2005, 06:33 AM
Personally I think, in my biased opinion, you should keep the Cooper and take the cheap option - K&N induction kit and Playmini exhaust. Sounds sweet as . . . - especially pulling out of a bend at 4000RPM. I would challenge anyone not to have a massive grin on their face!

The JCW Sound Kit would give you the peace of mind around the warranty issues I suppose but it costs considerably more and IMHO doesn't sound quite as meaty! I agree with those that have said that an S isn't any more fun. (But I've never driven one so what do I know!!) Minis aren't about going in a straight line fast.

Scottie
24th November 2005, 06:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

S isn't any more fun.

but just as much fun

and of course the bonus is you have the top Model and can look down on those cooper owners:D:blackeye::p;)

<only kidding> well maybe:p

GAJ
24th November 2005, 07:00 AM

We, in turn, look down on One owners.;)

Just like the old John Cleese and Two Ronnies class snobbery sketch.:p One owners know their place!:evil:

Heather
24th November 2005, 07:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

IMHO doesn't sound quite as meaty!
Ahem!:evil::D It does not sound the same as the K&N but it does have a different sound which is very nice (the clyde tunnel test showed that to me very nicely):D Oh and you forgot about the nice little badge! LOL
Dont think the S is worth the mulla for the extra you get (unless its a 210 JCW) knowing your driving style and what you want out of a car the coop still seems a good option.

KenL
24th November 2005, 06:13 PM
I've driven all 3 versions and have to say the S is easily the fastest. The pull in all gears is in a different league to the others.

The Dogfather
24th November 2005, 07:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying
Anyway, are you saying you cant take an 'S' 'to its limit'? You have been driving that calor gas powered thingy too long..... ;)

Of course not :p just that its easier to drive a Coop near its limit than an S safely on the road :D

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 07:47 PM
Bad Dog....no it isnt! And its worth every penny. Are you lot scared of the 'S'???? :D:)

john
24th November 2005, 07:54 PM

Bad Dog....no it isnt! And its worth every penny. Are you lot scared of the 'S'???? :D:)

I'm not scared of an 's';)

They can't get close enought to a cooper on the twisty's to scare anyone:D

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 07:58 PM
ha ha, perhaps that's what it's down to John...who's driving!! :D Bunch o' scaredy cats! (heh heh):D

Scottie
24th November 2005, 07:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

I'm not scared of an 's';)

They can't get close enought to a cooper on the twisty's to scare anyone:D

don't you mean the cooper can't get close enough to a S;):p:D

only time will be when us S owners are overtaking those Cooper owners.:cool:;):p

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 08:05 PM
Scottie,
I think we have uncovered a burning desire in Cooper owners that they realise they bought the wrong car :D :D:D

redpoint rallying
24th November 2005, 08:17 PM
Crombers,

If you were confused before...with all these daft ramblings are you reaching a descision yet?? heh heh :D:D You can always rely on objective and unbiased argument here eh?:D

M

euan
24th November 2005, 09:15 PM
OK, money no object - buy an S and add the toys you always wanted with your Cooper.

I really loved my S, it was a different car - A Cooper can keep up on back roads is fine, but for overtaking I'll take the extra S punch every time. When I took it for a long test drive I realised it was what I wanted from my Cooper, so bought one that day. Never regretted it, although my insurance doubled!

But if money is an issue, and you may change for a turbo anyway, and your happy with the car (ie, no rattles), maybe your better sticking with what you've got.

Crombers
24th November 2005, 09:51 PM
Interesting comments folks :)

The long term test / MarkyC route will probably answer the question for me , taking all the positives (extra pulling power / straight line speed etc) and the negatives (MPG / Insurance / Licence!!! etc) into account.

A good few comments relate to the type of driver or style of driving you prefer. Must admit I,m more of a 3rd gear 4000rpm twisty county road fella (where safe to do so!!) rather than boy racer at the lights / overtake everyone in sight geezer.

Excellent observations from those who have owned both cars , thanks :approve:

A quick check on the voting means that at present the Coop might be on for a wee "Menzies" makeover next spring / summer ;):p:approve::D

Canny wait !!

Burple
24th November 2005, 11:25 PM
quote:
only time will be when us S owners are overtaking those Cooper owners.:cool:;):p

The only time THAT will be is on a loooooooong straight!!

If a guy in a n M5 (however badly driven ;)) can't get away from me on twisties.. anything but a race / rally prepped S ain't gonna do it. :p

Entirely dependant -as always- on who is driving! :p:p:p
ThinkI'm much rather have the Cooper for this.. Lots less changing of gear in the corners! :D:D

/Stir well, stand back...

:D

Big Col
24th November 2005, 11:48 PM
Ok every cooper owner that says the 'S aint that much faster is talking keech.

lnl you only kept up with the M5 because it wasn't as quick in the corners. Another MINI would take those bends just as well so the only difference will be powering out of the corners and in the straights. Hence an 'S is quicker than a Cooper and anyone that says it aint is just talking keech!

As for the "less changing of the gears" is that REALLY the reason you're not getting an 'S? :D

Scottie
24th November 2005, 11:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:

The only time THAT will be is on a loooooooong straight!!

If a guy in a n M5 (however badly driven ;)) can't get away from me on twisties.. anything but a race / rally prepped S ain't gonna do it. :p

Entirely dependant -as always- on who is driving! :p:p:p
ThinkI'm much rather have the Cooper for this.. Lots less changing of gear in the corners! :D:D

/Stir well, stand back...

Well it is quite obvious that it's been some time since you've driven a Mini so I'd tank you.;):p

OH Mr Mini One person in that Cadburys Dairy Milk colour :D:p;)

Mini Me
24th November 2005, 11:53 PM
Crombers.....look into my eye's,into my eye's...not around my eye's,into my eye's.....:p

Gees a phone ya dobber !!!!:p

euan
25th November 2005, 12:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Crombers.....look into my eye's,into my eye's...not around my eye's,into my eye's.....:p

Gees a phone ya dobber !!!!:p

Ah, the charm of the sales patter :)

Burple
25th November 2005, 12:35 AM
quote:
Well it is quite obvious that it's been some time since you've driven a Mini so I'd tank you.;):p

OH Mr Mini One person in that Cadburys Dairy Milk colour :D:p;)

LOL :D:D:D

Dairy Milk...... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
(almost time to start counting down the days!! :D)

See all you 'S' owners... you're awfy touchy! ;):D:p

Col... the S BETTER be a bit quicker.. considering it's got roundabout 55-75bhp MORE than the others... :p:p:p:p:D

So there you go Crombers.. if you buy an S, you'll end up spending most of your time on here, defending how much faster your car is than a Cooper! ;);):D:D:D:D:D:p:p

Chuck a decent Filter, a Playmini Exhaust and chip the Cooper! Then you'll have LOADS more cash for more toys!! ..And still enjoy your 4K thrashes in third!
Got to agree with Heather too tho, The Sound kit makes a LUVVERLY noise, and just different enough from most aftermarket stuff...

redpoint rallying
25th November 2005, 01:43 AM
Ha ha, no, no...dont just 'boy racer up' your Cooper by bunging on a daft filter and noisy exhaust, most of which dont improve anything so's you would notice.....just get the car you will wish you had if you get the Cooper :D

Crombers...dont succumb...you know you want the better car....you do:D

M

Good fun this!:)

Burple
25th November 2005, 02:09 AM
quote:

ah the banter :D:D:D
As with everything, it's a matter of personal opinion :D:D
And circumstance.

If you're not bothered about the consumption (fuel, not the disease ;)), and want to be urged to drive lke a hooligan EVERYWHRE, buy an S...
(I know.. I've driven a few pre and post 170bhp, and a 210 Works S too)

Otherwise, stick with what you got. you know what it can do

redpoint rallying
25th November 2005, 02:11 AM
You could of course add the proper manifold, get the right re-map, throttle body and cylinder head, cam......that would do it!

I know a good company that will do all that for you......see essentialmini.co.uk :D:D

M:cool:

Mini Me
25th November 2005, 02:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:

and want to be urged to drive lke a hooligan EVERYWHRE.

S ,drivers drive like hooloigans.....huh:blackeye::evil:.
I'll have you know i've had my new s , for 8 weeks now and it's only waiting on it's second engine :I:evil:;)

weefossy
25th November 2005, 06:17 AM
Having had all 3, the Works is the business. I have no regrets and wouldn't go back. It's the sound and being pushed back into the seat, I love. "Pull" in every gear when you need it and as an average driver it's allowed me to keep up with all the great Cooper drivers.
Only down side is price and insurance, if your a youngster, which I ain't.
Even Sioban has knocked 15secs off her trip to Safeways[/u]. Morrisons Sommerfields

redpoint rallying
25th November 2005, 06:42 AM
With you there, the Works 'S'is the biz....Wish me rally car was as quick as me road car!!:)......yes, despite Go-Mini's best efforts the rally car IS a Cooper and I love it!:D ref essentialmini.co.uk etc etc......:Dwhen do I get told off for shamelessly plugging my sponsor???

M

Heather
25th November 2005, 08:41 AM
So allan, what you thinking now:question:

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2005, 08:55 AM
Here's something to ask yourself Crombers...

Imagine yourself in 3 years time, sitting in your "modded" Cooper, with your induction kit and your fancy noisy exhaust and go faster stripes etc, and ask yourself this question every time you drive your cooper: "I wonder what it's really like to drive an 'S' ?" If you don't go for the 'S', you'll never know.;):D;)

Big Col
25th November 2005, 04:54 PM
Basically mate this argument is like saying "Right...I've got enough money for a 911 but I'm not sure if I should just buy the boxster." It's a no brainer! :)

Crombers
25th November 2005, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Basically mate this argument is like saying "Right...I've got enough money for a 911 but I'm not sure if I should just buy the boxster." It's a no brainer! :)

Like it :D

Crombers
25th November 2005, 07:02 PM
Well ma brain is all mashed noo !!

(Well not entirely)

Mr B & I had a wee chat late yesterday afternoon and let's just say there is now a plan emerging.

See ya all next summer :approve:;):p

Craig
26th November 2005, 01:04 AM
hope to see you before then, or you will have missed the return to Oxford trip :eek:;):approve:

Duncan Stewart
27th November 2005, 05:01 AM
Two things not mentioned so far that might be worth considering (influenced my decision not to go for an 'S')
1. Suspension and runflat tyres - much harder ride than a Cooper (unless you have sports plus and runflats on your Cooper - nutters! ;)- showing my age :I)
2. Styling - you don't get the chrome bumper inserts and have to have a bonnet scoop. I prefer the Cooper look but do think the 'S' looks more 'sporty'
Dunno if that helps or confuses you more :p

duncan
27th November 2005, 05:40 AM
A while back, I had a shot of a 163 BHP S for a few hours, and was well impressed with the acceleration over my One.
However, when it came to get my next MINI, I didn't opt for an S.

1, I wasnt wanting to lay out almost 15K for a base S, I'd rather have a Cooper with a few toys.
2, I really don't do enough mileage these days to justify getting one.
3, I couldn't stand the whine from the supercharger, as good as it does sound, i'd get fed up with it.
4, Fuel Consumption, especially with the current high price of Optimax.
5, I could have gone for a 12 month old model, but I was wanting one of the facelifted models.

Don't get me wrong, if my 6 numbers came up, i'd probably get one for playing with, but for how I currently use my MINI, i'm more than happy with my Cooper the way it is (even with the SS+ and Runflats ;))

eddie 44
28th November 2005, 08:56 PM
keep your cooper...... i bought an S ..... now i wish i had kept my cooper ... far better car to drive..:D it got that bad i sold the S
could not live with harse ride and rattles..no more..:(

DerekM
28th November 2005, 09:22 PM
Just taken delivery of a MCSC last month and it's great. Wouldn't want to go back to a N/A mini again after having the S/C car - well woth the extra £££'s

KAH
30th November 2005, 01:39 AM
Right!!! I've jusr read the lot of this and it has frazzeled my brain!!!! I'm going to be in the same boat next year where I'll have to choose between an'S or wait for the new model. Can anyone point me in the direction of any photo's of the new model. I've seen some stuff that is supposed to be it ....and i dont like it!!! but at the same time I dont think I could bring myself to spend the best part of 18k for what would quickly become the 'old model'

euan
30th November 2005, 02:31 AM
As far as I'm aware, no "official" pictures have been released.

jayex
10th December 2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/24/twin-lamp_shock_for_new_mini

hope this works not posted a link before :eek: