PDA

View Full Version : Mini Clan's 4th Annual Thistle Run

lightbody
10th March 2003, 06:00 AM
Having debuted in 2000 between Edinburgh and St.Andrews then Loch Lomond to Dunoon in 2001 and in 2002 with our Edinburgh (Dalkeith) to Eyemouth route, The Mini Clan are proud to present our fourth Thistle Run route - Stirling to Oban.

Starting in historic Stirling, the route will take you through some of the very best scenery Scotland has to offer with a variety of entertaining driving. The Run will finish in the very centre of beautiful Oban, by special arrangement with the town council. We will also be recreating our amazing Mini 'cavalcade' of last year through Oban town centre, before parking up and closing the day with a Show and Shine. Refreshments and facilities will be available along with the full range of services which Oban has to offer.

Show and Shine categories this year are:-
Car of the Run, Best MINI, Loudest Exhaust, Best Car 59-69, Dodgiest MOT, Rustiest A Panel, Best Car 70-79, Tackiest Accessory, Wettest Carpet (if raining!), Best Car 80-89, Most Body Filler, Most original Paint Job, Best Car 90-00, Biggest Oil Leak, Sound Off

Entry closes May 1, 2003 but if your entry is received before the end of March, you save £2.50 on the normal entry fee of £12.50. You are only sure of a runpack if you return the entry fee and form before this date. In that case you will receive a full information pack and runcard by the second week of May. The Run will be limited to 130 Minis. You can enter the Run on the day, assuming we are not fully booked, but you will receive NO discount and NO Runpack (unless we have any spare packs).

We look forward to welcoming you on May 25th!

lightbody
10th March 2003, 06:02 AM
That was a copy of our run flier. Forms and more information and photos of previous events are available on the Mini Clan's website at http://www.miniclan.com This looks to be heavily over-subscribed, especially as we are featured in next months Mini Magazine, so if you're interested please book soon!

Willie M
10th March 2003, 04:42 PM
:cool:
Any other New Mini Scotland folks up for this one:question: Lightbody, Linda M and me'self will be there. Promises to be a great day out, up to 130 minis and MINIs rumbling out to Oban :)

quote:Show and Shine categories this year are:-
Car of the Run, Best MINI, etc.

Nice one :D There's some nice MINI's round about these parts, anyone up for it?

Gismo
10th March 2003, 06:56 PM
Sorry, i'll be in portugal, enjoying a relaxing week of golf in the sun

Bonnie Scotland

Linda M
10th March 2003, 07:15 PM
Daisy's quite excited about this event :)
Willie you'd better get cleaning that Stouffer MINI as Daisy doesn't want to be embarrassed :eek:

Monsta Mo Mini
10th March 2003, 07:38 PM
I'll be in Italy sampling as much of the local produce as possible.:D

Willie M
10th March 2003, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Willie you'd better get cleaning that Stouffer MINI as Daisy doesn't want to be embarrassed :eek:
:I
Stouffer's going into the dealers tomorrow, I'm sure they'll give him a wash for me :D:D
:evil::evil:So.. Bonnie Scotland & Monsta will be away during Thistle Run... Hmmmm?? Only need to sabotage Daisy and Charlie2 and the best MINI prize will be mine... all mine.... BRU HA HA HA HA... :evil::evil:

lightbody
10th March 2003, 11:55 PM
I'm afraid there are at least 10 MINIs entered so far! And I'm estimating 30 or so...

Charlie2 will not stand a chance of winning anything unless I get his scratches fixed before then!

Willie M
11th March 2003, 07:34 AM
:evil:[takes note: 1 box of 200 rusty nails and a bottle of acid for those wearing runflats] :evil:

Poor Charlie2. Will his doppleganger 'Big Shirley' be making an appearance :question: ;)

Gismo
11th March 2003, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I'm afraid there are at least 10 MINIs entered so far! And I'm estimating 30 or so...

Charlie2 will not stand a chance of winning anything unless I get his scratches fixed before then!
May i suggest a wire brush and dettol :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
12th March 2003, 03:36 AM
I would love to, but I can't, wedding day is the 24th!! So thats a mini meeting and a porsche event we're missing. Who chose the bloody wedding date anyway? :cool::cool:
Wire brush and dettol ma'am!!

john
1st April 2003, 01:52 AM
My entry was posted last week :)

Willie M
1st April 2003, 04:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

My entry was posted last week :)
Would that be the mini or the MINI John? :cool:

john
1st April 2003, 05:31 PM
TBA is whats on the form:D

lightbody
1st April 2003, 08:45 PM
I parked in Safeways Anniesland (Glasgow) on Saturday evening next to a shiny BRG/White Cooper S - mine is the same colour and had just been watched so they looked quite funny together!

Anyway, I stuck a Thistle Run flyer under their wiper, only to return later to discover they'd just chucked it in a disuses trolley. Harrumph!

Willie M
1st April 2003, 11:07 PM
Obviously they're just 'posers' Rob :disapprove:
Sadly there does seem to be a few of them about, ignoring fellow MINI drivers when they flash their lights and wave :(
The GITS :evil:

lightbody
14th April 2003, 06:48 PM
Just to give this another wee mention...

Places filling fast (strictly limited to 130 due to space).

Special free town centre parking available all day in Oban
special offers from local businesses
Stirling University Campus grounds are open to us in the morning specially for us for ourgathering point.
People are coming from all around the UK.
Goodie bag with sticker, large magnetic run plaque and some other stuff.

john
15th April 2003, 07:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

:cool:
Any other New Mini Scotland folks up for this one:question: Lightbody, Linda M and me'self will be there. Promises to be a great day out, up to 130 minis and MINIs rumbling out to Oban :)

quote:Show and Shine categories this year are:-
Car of the Run, Best MINI, etc.

Nice one :D There's some nice MINI's round about these parts, anyone up for it?

Lets start a list:D

Lightbody
Willie M
Linda M
John (zoooooom)

Willie M
15th April 2003, 03:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by john
Lets start a list:D
Yeah!!! :D C'mon NMS folks, don't be shy :cool:

Lightbody
Willie M
Linda M
John (zoooooom)

Linda M
15th April 2003, 08:26 PM
Daisy doesn't ignore anyone :clown:
She's getting a special polish done for the Thistle run :D:D
And I have plenty of horse poo to cover Stouffer with :evil:

john
14th May 2003, 10:40 PM
I am coming down on the friday evening and camping friday and saturday at Witches Craig Caravan Park ( 01786 474947)

If anyone fancies joining us.

So far there is

Me/Susan (TBA)
Ian/Muriel (yellow mini van)
John/Lynne (pepper white cooper)

lightbody
16th May 2003, 06:42 PM
Hi,

Thistle run all organised now and looking to be a great day! Run is over-subscribed and has been fully booked for nearly a week now (around 130 cars, from 1960 to 2003) and from Ireland, England and wales - theres even a couple on their honeymoon!

There will be catering and full facilities at the start this year, so feel free to be early! Central FM has their roadshow at our start and will be doing a joint-broadcast with Oban FM and handing out freebies.

Menzies MINI of Stirling is helping to support the event and there will be a prize from them for best new MINI in addition to the prizes already supported by Clan Members Linda & Willie! Menzies also have some freebies and one of their cars on the run.

We have a pipe-band arranged for the finishing parade in Oban and entrants will also be lapping oban at least once on arrival at around 2pm.

The Stirling Observer has a story on us either today and/or next Friday.

Willie M
25th May 2003, 06:57 AM
Looking forward to Thistle Run tomorrow :cool:
Hopefully catch up with lightbody and John along the way.
Looking forward to seeing 130+ Minis snaking their way from Stirling to Oban :approve:

john
26th May 2003, 07:01 AM
PHEW!!!!! I just got home 10:55 (Knackered)

Willie M
26th May 2003, 03:35 PM
Good to see you yesterday John and nice to see you made it safely home with your 'A-panel' still intact ;):D

Thistle Run was a great day out, thoroughly enjoyed it :cool: Big thanks to all the organisers and everyone involved. Certainly no mean feat shepherding 130+ Mini's from Stirling to Oban :)

Linda M
26th May 2003, 05:50 PM
FANTASTIC day out :D My favourite so far :D
Only downside was that 'that' Stouffer thingy won best MINI and Daisy came SECOND, what a fix that was :evil: Never mind, Daisy's been kicking his lamps out all night in the garage :approve:

WFC
26th May 2003, 09:09 PM
quote:Only downside was that 'that' Stouffer thingy won best MINI and Daisy came SECOND, what a fix that was

Yup and the "fix" has went to my MINI fund:D:p

Willie M
26th May 2003, 09:39 PM
AHEM <clears throat>
Now now children, let's not bicker. The category was won by a truly class act :D

Oh and WFC, you should find a plain brown envelope behind the 2nd skip, at the back of Tesco, with your name on it ;);)

lightbody
26th May 2003, 10:52 PM
Charlie's happy with his trophy - although in a huff because I never even had a chance to give him a proper wash before the Run! I'm about to go out now and give him a wee bit of TLC.

Thanks to Menzies Mini for their support and to their enthusiastic Mini sales exec. James Hamilton for actually going on the run with us all in a rather nice red/black S.

lightbody
26th May 2003, 10:58 PM
Oh and apologies to Zooom/John for talking to someone else and thinking it was you! I'm still a bit confused. Be nice to me on the Perthshire Cruise! I had 130+ people to meet yesterday!!

WFC
27th May 2003, 05:54 PM
quote:Oh and WFC, you should find a plain brown envelope behind the 2nd skip, at the back of Tesco, with your name on it

Surely if it has my name on it it ain't plain???;)

Willie M
28th May 2003, 03:41 PM
Uh, I guess, DOH!!

Never mind, I'll ask one of my Nigerian contacts to write to you with the payment details ;):D

WFC
28th May 2003, 09:09 PM
;):D

lightbody
4th June 2003, 07:35 PM
Thistle Run Photos are now on the Mini Clan Website - http://www.miniclan.com