PDA

View Full Version : Knottie's wee brother - DOUGAL!!

Craig
20th November 2005, 03:28 AM
Just won this little beauty on ebay. Only slight problem is it is in Bournemouth!!:eek::eek:. Just spoke with the owner, so hopefully getting it next weekend!!:cool::cool:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/classic.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/classic2.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/classic3.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/classic4.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/classic5.jpg

Scottie
20th November 2005, 03:42 AM
cracking looking Craig:D We had one exact same but a S reg.

Long way to get her:eek::)

duncan
20th November 2005, 03:43 AM
Superb!

Have fun with it :)

Scottie
20th November 2005, 03:48 AM
do you have a co pilot ?? If not :D:D I know a chap:) how do you fancy a trip in a big V10 beast that has a wee ECU issue:( but should be resolved by Tuesday.:)

Long way for the wee car to drive home how many miles has it done.

Mini Me
20th November 2005, 03:55 AM
privare reg tae....ass***le......:p

Craig
20th November 2005, 04:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

do you have a co pilot ?? If not :D:D I know a chap:) how do you fancy a trip in a big V10 beast that has a wee ECU issue:( but should be resolved by Tuesday.:)

thanks Fe, got a co-pilot (wee Marky Boy ;)) Looks like we will be flying down to bournemouth from Prestwick.. Thanks for the offer, if it doesn't work out I'll know who to call

The car has done 70,000 miles, so kinda average. When I spoke to the buy on the phone, he was really nice and cleans it all the time..:D

CANNAE WAIT!!!!!!:D:D:D

Craig
20th November 2005, 04:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

privare reg tae....ass***le......:p

..........<looks around for the phone number of US immigration...>

Broon - yer on a yellow card.......

you don't want to know what happens when it turns to red!:mad:

Scottie
20th November 2005, 04:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

thanks Fe, got a co-pilot (wee Marky Boy ;)) Looks like we will be flying down to bournemouth from Prestwick.. Thanks for the offer, if it doesn't work out I'll know who to call

The car has done 70,000 miles, so kinda average. When I spoke to the buy on the phone, he was really nice and cleans it all the time..:D

CANNAE WAIT!!!!!!:D:D:D

fair enough:cool:

The Dogfather
20th November 2005, 05:02 AM
There's one of these running round Turriff, lovely little motor :D

Bazthemod
20th November 2005, 05:07 AM
Another pal for Alfie!!! :D:cool::D:cool:

I want spotlights now :clown::p......

N12 JLK
20th November 2005, 06:02 AM
very nice , looks like Rothesays off then:p

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2005, 06:53 AM
Very nice MrD. :cool::cool::cool:

Now are you gonna drive it or just bring it out the garage once a week, pollish it and then stick it back in? :D

Smurf
20th November 2005, 06:54 AM
Has it got a name Craig? Or are you waiting to meet him / her?
Heather, Gary, Judith, Kenneth, Archie, Bob and me all think it's great!!! :D

PS Bob loves the colour scheme!! :cool::cool:

Mini Me
20th November 2005, 06:58 AM
Tis braw,braw,braw tho Mr D, all joking aside............

very nice little car :p

wis only kiddin,dinnae phone customs........aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh[v][v]

Craig
20th November 2005, 07:12 AM
thanks for the kind words...

Vaila, Jude has not named him yet, but no doubt by the time I get him home he shall be named...

Andy - he will be used........ probably every day in the summer, 'cos I think once I have driven him, Knottie might have to take a back seat for a while..:eek::approve:. Your right though... it will be WELL Polished!

anyway, waiting to hear if Marky can get a dog sitter and then the flights are booked!

Bring on next weekend!!

Craig
20th November 2005, 07:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

very nice , looks like Rothesays off then:p

aye, thank the guy for me, but to be honest, I think it had the interior in it that I didn't like. I also didn't want to insult him re the price as I would have offered him probably a lot less than he thought it was worth...

:D

broken_brian
20th November 2005, 07:34 AM
nice little car i also like the rear roll cage as well :approve::cool::approve:

zimbo
20th November 2005, 09:00 PM
Quality wee motor there Craig. just make sure you dont neglect knottie too much, you dont want jealousy in the garage...:D;)

Burple
21st November 2005, 12:19 AM
Very nice sir! :D
Looks like a good 'un!

So, apart from the cheeky exhaust, roll cage and 'Special Tuning' Sticker... wot's it got?

or shouyld I say... wot's next??? ;):cool::D

Craig
21st November 2005, 01:23 AM
well, the description of the car is as undernoted.....

Rover Mini Cooper.Sportspack.1997.Red and white.Multi-point injection.
One owner/driver from new.Total service history with every bill/receipt, every M.O.T. and even old tax discs.Maintained regardless of cost.
This is a reluctant sale as I now have to have a four door car due to work commitments.
I bought this car new in 1997 and have been the only person to drive it.The back seat has never been sat on and the spare wheel is unused.
Extras include: Professionally fitted rear roll cage (for safety not competition).
Full Maniflow exhaust system with RC40 rear box.K & N air filter.
JVC Compact disc player.
The car has a 100% total service history with every stamp to date complete.Last service 2K miles ago.
Every bill, receipt, old MOTs and tax discs all present.
There are faults - Slight rust bubbling under windscreen and around N/S headlight (see photo).
Slight oil drip from under engine (it's a Mini).
Electric cooling fan has switched on when not in a traffic jam a couple of times.
Very small mark on passenger door caused by careless parking (too small to photograph).Stone crack on one spotlight.
There are good points - This car was wax-oiled from new so sub frames and underbody are sound.There is no major rust apart from points mentioned.
Car is fitted with all sportspack features which include large 13" alloy wheels,wheel arches,extra instrumentation and Koni shock absorbers.

I would like to put the alloy look dash into it that was in the last models to come out, but that's in the future. I think the first job will be to get rid of the rust and probably just get it all checked out. I got it for a lot less than I thought, so there is some cash left.:D:D

I will probably change the rear clusters for clear ones. I did have a thought of making it into a Rally Replica, but still a lot of ideas going around in my head (and before anyone else says it, yes there is a lot of room ;))

just my wee project, now that the bike has gone..:disapprove:

anyway, flights booked, hotel booked, co-pilot booked, insurance sorted, breakdown cover sorted, all I have to do is wait 6 days!:D

Duncan Stewart
21st November 2005, 04:28 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D What more can I say! Congrats Craig and hope to see it soon :D

Craig
21st November 2005, 06:15 AM
thanks Duncan - If the weather is OK, he might make it to the borders....;)

I actually can't sleep at the moment - how sad is that!:eek::approve:

euan
21st November 2005, 05:46 PM
That's a cracking looking wee car.

The alloy dash would be great in there. My old man has one (slightly older) that has been made to look like a rally replica and it's just great fun. He's got the same engine spec (air filter and exhaust) and it's LOUD :)

Enjoy!

Crombers
21st November 2005, 07:00 PM
Smashin car sir. Me thinks a wee trip up to Denny / Stirling will be on the cards in the very near future ;):p:approve:

AndyP & Lenore
21st November 2005, 07:19 PM
Anyone else hear an echo?:D

Burple
21st November 2005, 07:25 PM
Good man with the mods..
One point to watch out for tho, if you're fitting lear rear clusters, make sure you get really good quality red bulbs for the rear lights. I've seen many a set go pink then white due to the heat as the paint wears off them!

Instead of an alloy dash, why not have a search through some Miniworld mags.. there's a couple of companies that'll do you a cusom dash! ;) You could have any design you like painted on one, in any colour! - Or if you're feeling brave, get a blank unfinished one and DIY it! :D

But then there's the retro rally look.. it would look ace with one of those old 'reversing light' spots on the back! :D:D:D
Then a nice set of 6x13 Superlites (just to be different)...

I know I'd be tempted to lose the bonnet stripes, and mayb e the front fogs... then chrome mirrors.. ;):cool::D:D

Have a blast! :D:D

MartinSullivan
21st November 2005, 08:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Instead of an alloy dash, why not have a search through some Miniworld mags.. there's a couple of companies that'll do you a cusom dash! ;)

These guys - Dash Of Colour (www.dashofcolour.co.uk) - do great work ;)

Burple
21st November 2005, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Instead of an alloy dash, why not have a search through some Miniworld mags.. there's a couple of companies that'll do you a cusom dash! ;)

These guys - Dash Of Colour (www.dashofcolour.co.uk) - do great work ;)

Cheers Martin! That's exactly the guys I was thinking of, just couldn't remember their name. :I
I've seen some of their work in the flesh (as it were) and it's stunning! Check out the 'Impress Me' page.. :eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::D
Pretty much Anything Goes! :D

Crombers
21st November 2005, 09:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Anyone else hear an echo?:D

:I:clown:8) , me & computers eh!!

Craig
21st November 2005, 09:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Smashin car sir. Me thinks a wee trip up to Denny / Stirling will be on the cards in the very near future ;):p:approve:

your more than welcome crombers, It will be tucked up in the garage by sunday night......hopefully;)

broken_brian
23rd November 2005, 09:18 AM
booo to not having the bike but yey to the modification of classic minis bug. Once i started modifing my one the list of parts that i wanted never ended, and it is going to start all over again as i am thinking of going for the rally car look. As for the rust near the windscreen get it sorted as that is where mine went and it now needs a full surround and bulkhead repairs:disapprove:.

Craig
23rd November 2005, 04:27 PM
yeah, I have thought about just getting it done during the winter, so that he's all like new for the spring. from the photos it doesn't look that back, but I'll not really know until I see it.

only 3 sleeps to go!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Craig
26th November 2005, 05:10 PM
well..........the day has finally arrived. Off to the airport in a couple of hours and then the long drive home :D:D

Will hopefully get back tommorrow afternoon (after an overnighter, don't want to tire myself oot!;))

I'll let you know how we get on.

Bring on the Road Trip - it will be a mini adventure!:D:D:D

Scottie
28th November 2005, 02:05 AM
Wonder where he is???? I know they stopped off @ Oxford.

Craig
28th November 2005, 03:51 AM
well the epic adventure finished at 16:45hrs today as we pulled into the driveway. The wee car came all the way without a complaint and averaged around 70mph ;). I must say I am very impressed...

The car has a little bit more rust than the guy said, but with my conversations with a certain member, I knew this would be the case :D.

The interior of the car is "as new" in the most part, the carpets look like they have NEVER seen a dirty boot. The back seat has never been sat in.

The Boot looks like it has never been used and the book of receipts would choke a horse. Over the last 8 months it has had 4 new tyres, a service and a new back box.

We stopped in a few places where NMS members have been recently and they lived up to expectation... (they shall be used again :cool:)

Overall, I am absolutely tickled pink :D:D:D:D:D

My thanks go to MarkyC for co-pilot (and keeping the average speed up;))

All I need to do now is find a good bodywork man at reasonable rate to sort the usual mini rust spots over the winter time. (recommendations gratefully received).

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Smurf
28th November 2005, 04:30 AM
SO SO SO glad you're happy, Craig!! :D Wishing you and the new addition to the family MANY happy miles together!! :D

We may be able to recommend a body type person.... Poor Orville needs major surgery :( (not all bodywork, but some), and is at a recommended Mini Doctor at the moment, we'll let you know how we get on.

gill
28th November 2005, 05:01 AM
Cracking looking wee min Craig!

Got a good one there.

Enjoy!!!:D

Craig
28th November 2005, 06:55 AM
had a few can of beer and he looks even better now....:D:D:D

who says the beer goggles don't work! ;);):approve:

might even take him to work this week if the weather is kind to us...:D:D:D:D:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
28th November 2005, 08:06 AM
Glad your journey went ok. Looking forward to seeing Knottie's wee brother at the Gala run if the weather's ok.

A.

N12 JLK
29th November 2005, 05:21 AM
reminds me of our A reg sprite who died many years ago:(, Lesley said last night she wanted to see old Wullie McFees H reg cooper in Rothesay (MMMMM) dont know!.
hope you enjoy! need to get a shot of it and reminisce of days gone past:p
Are you bringing it along to the cinema

Craig
29th November 2005, 07:08 AM
well...............here's the thing,

both Marky and me thought we could hear a wee blow from the exhaust (which could only have happened in the last 60 miles or so...:(), so I did a bit of investigating tonight and there is a fracture just about all the way round just after the manifold, but on the horizontal pipe leading back along the car (just about directly under the gearbox...)

so this means the car is off the road until I can get it repaired 'cos if it broke, the pipe would fall down, stick in the road and do hell knows what damage to the underside of the car and exhaust system. (Marky says it has something to do with 90 up the motorway, but I don't believe him...;))

Not a big deal, but has to be fixed to make sure I don't damage him.

OH aye, it's a him and called "Dougal" as he is Magic on Roundabouts (get it??););):approve:

In short, I don't think I'll be bringing him down to Gala, but you never know, I might have it fixed by then....:D

AndyP & Lenore
29th November 2005, 09:27 AM
So glad it's good on roundabouts.

Ermintrude just doesn't have the same ring to it.:D;)

A.

Burple
29th November 2005, 07:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

both Marky and me thought we could hear a wee blow from the exhaust (which could only have happened in the last 60 miles or so...:(), so I did a bit of investigating tonight and there is a fracture just about all the way round just after the manifold, but on the horizontal pipe leading back along the car (just about directly under the gearbox...)
so this means the car is off the road until I can get it repaired 'cos if it broke, the pipe would fall down, stick in the road and do hell knows what damage to the underside of the car and exhaust system. (Marky says it has something to do with 90 up the motorway, but I don't believe him...;))

Sounds good Craig.. only 90mph up the motorway? You need to get a bit of private land and test out his true top speed (what is the book top speed Duncan? 90? 95?);)
My old SPi Cooper could happily do 110 on private roads apparently, but the sportspacks are slightly slower cos of te gearbox / final drive ratios and those huge heavy wheels..

The exhaust manifold could be a bit of a nightmare to take out and sort yourself, cos I think you'll need to remove most of the fuel injection piping, injector rail and inlet manifold to get it out..and whip the bonnet off too. Not the worst job to do on a Mini, but it can be frustrating! Mind and be careful with the threads on the manifold studs if you do decide to DIY :D
You'd be well advised to replace the Enging Steady Bar bushes (get nice powerflex ones - or similar) while you're doing this, as you'll need to loosen at least one end of it to allow the engine to move to let the manifold out ;)
That's a DARN good excuse to bung on a nice meaty Long Centre Branch Manifold to get some BHPs out of him too!

Ahhhh.. the memories... :D

Crombers
30th November 2005, 07:26 PM
Popped up to Denny last night for a sneak preview of Dougal &

WHAT A STUNNER!!!

He is absolutely minted & a true credit to his previoius 1 owner & the 70K he has covered. The (minute) external faults that have been highlighted pale into absolute insignifcance when you look at the car as a whole. Inside the car is minted & you will not believe the nick of the boot. The RC40 exhaust sounds brill & I for one cant wait to see him on the move :approve:

If I still had a garage :( I'd be on the hunt for a classic but I'd have to go some to get one in this condition.

Craig
1st December 2005, 03:20 AM
thanks crombers mate, nice to see you again.

I am (as always) very over critical of my cars and I like them to look their best, which is why all the work will be getting done over the winter so that he's all spick and span for the spring:D:D

I am itching to drive him again, might just go and order a new front pipe from maniflow...;)

Duncan Stewart
1st December 2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds good Craig.. only 90mph up the motorway? You need to get a bit of private land and test out his true top speed (what is the book top speed Duncan? 90? 95?);)

errr - 91.2783 and a half I think! :D Seriously though the 'Offical' top speed is in the eighties - 88mph I think from memory.
However with a wind behind you and a down hill road (private of course)anything is possible. I've got 100mph out of my 50bhp Rio a few times (Scary! :eek:)
Craig - all the best with fixing the exhaust. Stainless steel would be worth considering if you plan to keep the car long term. I love the name :cool:

Crombers
1st December 2005, 06:47 PM
Early Xmas pressie to yourself , ah go on :approve: