PDA

View Full Version : MINI to the Mountains

duncan
18th November 2005, 06:59 AM
After the trip to the Oxford Plant and we all went our seperate ways. I headed to the Continent.

Not 100% sure where I was heading for, I did want to stop off at my Great Grandads War Memorial in France.

So, on the Saturday morning it was off to Dover to catch the Ferry to Calais. The ferry was full of the usual White Van Men off to fill up with the cheap beer and fags, the MINI looking slightly out of place!

I waited till Rememberance Sunday to go to the war memorial as i had a wreath to leave there.

http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/MTTM1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/MTTM2.jpg

After that, I pointed the car south, and headed to Switzerland.

The French Toll motorways, although not as famous as the German Autobahns, are really good roads, and better still, have restrictions for Lorries on Sundays. The Swiss motorways are tolled also, but not as good as the French ones.

Stayed in Interlaken for a few days, and took the MINI on some of the high alpine roads. Its pretty difficult to drive on some of those roads. Your too busy staring up at the scenery, or down at the 1000 fooot drop down a mountain!

http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/MTTM3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/MTTM4.jpg

The twin peaks of Interlaken were also highly impressive ;)
http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/MTTM5.jpg

2400 faultless miles, through 6 tanks of petrol, and 115 mph fast on the Autobahn. Altogether, it was quite a trip for the MINI.

Scottie
18th November 2005, 07:05 AM
great pics and awesome roads. I envy you:)

Often think when we are on our travels with the caravan how cool it would be to take the minis over some of the roads but don't think they could tow the caravan:p

monkimagic
18th November 2005, 09:57 AM
Looks really good, well done

Monki

choc
18th November 2005, 02:55 PM
now thats what i call a mini adventure!

Smurf
18th November 2005, 04:14 PM
What a trip!! Fantastic :D

Craig
18th November 2005, 04:27 PM
always wanted to do a road trip into europe... Looks Fantastic Duncan, next time you could take some of us along ? ?;);):approve:

Wul
18th November 2005, 04:29 PM
:cool: Cool Road Trip Duncan - it looks great!:)

Julz
18th November 2005, 05:10 PM
Wow, what an adventure! Kinda puts my shopping trip to Stirling to shame!!:I:clown::D

MartinSullivan
18th November 2005, 05:16 PM
Great pics and looks like a great route

bpirie1000
18th November 2005, 05:37 PM
take it you just went to the shops for some milk and ended up taking a small diversion....

mmmm

Know the Feeling..

Crombers
18th November 2005, 06:52 PM
Awsome pics , & (as mentioned above) one helluva MINI adventure.
Well done sir :approve:

Burple
18th November 2005, 07:26 PM
Well done that man! Awesome pics!!

Those 'Twin Peaks' sure do make the heart swell ;);):D:D

It's amazing to think that so much of the land round the War Memorial there is so flat!

Heather
18th November 2005, 07:54 PM
Nice one Duncan, looks like you had a great mini adventure:D How did you find driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

duncan
18th November 2005, 08:50 PM
Cheers folks.

The trip ticked a few boxes in the things to do before your 30 list.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is a bit weird to start with, but on the motorways, pretty easy. Its town driving that is, erm, interesting. Roundabouts are fun, and there's a lot more Zebra Crossings to deal with.

The other thing that is noticeable is the tailgating. I guess the 2 second rule hasn't made it across the channel.

Petrol prices are good.

Luxembourg wins the cheapest super unleaded price award, €1.06 a litre (72 pence)
Switzerland was remarkably cheap too, at 1.69 CHF (74.4)
France was €1.20 - 81 pence, while it was £1.03 a litre at 2 of the service stops on the M6.

A full tank of petrol took me from Calais to the Scottish Border.

Fuel consumption on the trip computer went from an average of 32 mpg to 35.3, and the service indicator mileage is above 10,000 now.

gill
19th November 2005, 12:18 AM
Cool mini adventure - hope you enjoyed it!!!

:DFun roads in Europe, heh?

N12 JLK
19th November 2005, 03:51 AM
Looks like great fun. Well done.

Heather
19th November 2005, 05:08 AM
Did you get flashed by many foreign MINI's?:)

weefossy
19th November 2005, 05:28 AM
Well done Duncan....."To infinity and beyond!" We really should do a "Europe Trip" as a group; it's not that much further than Oxford!

Craig
19th November 2005, 05:32 AM
add me to the "list for the abroad trip" thanks.. :approve:

zimbo
19th November 2005, 08:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

Well done Duncan....."To infinity and beyond!" We really should do a "Europe Trip" as a group; it's not that much further than Oxford!

Thats sounds like a good idea to me:) ...better get myself another mini quickly first tho.

Duncan Stewart
21st November 2005, 04:33 AM
Glad you enjoyed your trip. It looks superb :D

The Dogfather
21st November 2005, 04:57 AM

Great idea!

duncan
23rd November 2005, 05:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

Did you get flashed by many foreign MINI's?:)

I saw about 8 lefties when I was away, and got precisely zero waves, or flashes :eek::(

Crombers
23rd November 2005, 06:42 PM

We really should do a "Europe Trip" as a group; it's not that much further than Oxford!

What a blast that would be :approve: