PDA

View Full Version : Run Flat Tyres

noblebill
5th October 2003, 07:32 PM
Has anyone had a run flat tyre repaired, I just got a nail in one of my new tyres, the manual says "in the intrests of safety , replace any damaged RFT", :(

Big Gordy
5th October 2003, 08:07 PM
Use the search facility (top right, second from the end) and check previous threads noblebill as I'm sure we have been through this before ;) Ohh and welcome to NMS :p:D

duncan
5th October 2003, 09:09 PM
I had a runflat repaired - 2 nails removed - and its held its pressure since.
The nails weren't in the sidewall. If they were, i guess it would have been scrapped

Monsta Mo Mini
5th October 2003, 10:12 PM
Me too! £15 per tyre, 2 big nails removed.

GAJ
5th October 2003, 10:49 PM
This link should provide some info - http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_puncture

Monsta Mo Mini
8th October 2003, 11:26 PM
Have just had a quote for a new 17" Pirelli run-flat from Dunedin.....wait for it.......

£230+VAT....

per tyre!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Kwik-fit are doing both wheels for £200:D

GAJ
9th October 2003, 12:40 AM
Didn't you say before that Dunedin were cheap?

Monsta Mo Mini
9th October 2003, 01:21 AM
The dipstick on the service counter obviously quoted me a price for the wrong tyres (no surprised there then!)

I retract my previous statement m'lud...

KenL
9th October 2003, 04:31 PM
£269.10 each OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH HHH !!!

That has got to be the most expensive quote I have ever heard for a tyre. Are you sure you haven't traded the MINI in for a Pagani Zonda requiring new tyres?

Pays to shop around. Has anyone tried www.mytyres.net ? The ship them to your house and then you take them to an authorised fitting centre. The Dunlop 15" tyres for mine are only £42 each on there :)

Gismo
9th October 2003, 05:47 PM
I just added that site to my faourites, 94.70 delivered for my tyres, wow, thats amazing

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
9th October 2003, 06:28 PM
You should maybe also try 4newtyres.com, I think that's it anyway!!;)

Gismo
9th October 2003, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

You should maybe also try 4newtyres.com, I think that's it anyway!!;)
You must think i'm made of money ;) They are only £40 more expensive :eek: Guess i'll have to get them there then ;)

Bonnie Scotland

Duncan Stewart
9th October 2003, 11:59 PM
Some info I found out which might help those of you running 16 inch run flats.
I run factory 15" alloys mainly due to my high mileage and much higher cost of BMW recommended 16 & 17 tyres (tight git! :I). However I looked into after market 16" wheels and minispares recommends using 205/50 by 16" non runflat tyres which are half the cost and handle better (so they say). They can also supply the "get you home" puncture kit of pump, foam, etc if required.
Hope this is useful.

Gismo
10th October 2003, 12:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Some info I found out which might help those of you running 16 inch run flats.
I run factory 15" alloys mainly due to my high mileage and much higher cost of BMW recommended 16 & 17 tyres (tight git! :I). However I looked into after market 16" wheels and minispares recommends using 205/50 by 16" non runflat tyres which are half the cost and handle better (so they say). They can also supply the "get you home" puncture kit of pump, foam, etc if required.
Hope this is useful.Duncan, i have non run flats and also have the minispares get you home kit.
Reading on MINI2 you defo get better handling with non runflats, so cheaper tyres would be the way to go.

Bonnie Scotland

KenL
10th October 2003, 12:57 AM
Also to anyone ordering a ONE or Cooper (not S) if you are getting wheels (16 & 17") that come with runflats you can still order the spare tyre. That way if you want to replace your tyres with non-runflats you're already set up to do it.

Wul
10th October 2003, 01:55 AM
I got 2 new goodyear nct runflats fitted last week - organised it direct with kwik-fit mobile who dunedin use - £73+VAT per tyre - the guy made a great job and was done in 25mins - hardly any marks on the rims too. my wheels are 16" 5 stars.

macblob
10th October 2003, 02:09 AM
That means Dunedin mark up by another £11 a tyre before vat as they charged me 84 plus vat for the same tyres wul

Big Gordy
10th October 2003, 02:31 AM
Hey KenL that's what I did :D I think the space saver cost me £30 when I ordered it with the car :p Anybody know what pressure the space savers meant to be at :question: I'm sure when I checked it was at something crazy like 90 psi :eek:

KenL
10th October 2003, 04:04 PM
Hey Big G.

I think it is 60psi or something, not as high as 90.

I keep forgetting to check the pressure of it when I do my other tyres must do it this weekend.

KenL
10th October 2003, 04:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

I got 2 new goodyear nct runflats fitted last week - organised it direct with kwik-fit mobile who dunedin use - £73+VAT per tyre - the guy made a great job and was done in 25mins - hardly any marks on the rims too. my wheels are 16" 5 stars.

That's a good price Wul.

Bit concerned though about leaving marks on your rims at all. Is that because runflats have such tough sidewalls they can't do it without leaving marks?

Wul
10th October 2003, 06:45 PM
Think so Ken - it was only black rubbery marks from the rim protectors - a good wash and polish will soon have them sorted.

KenL
10th October 2003, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Think so Ken - it was only black rubbery marks from the rim protectors - a good wash and polish will soon have them sorted.

Aha, that's OK then:)

duncan
11th October 2003, 03:14 AM
I was at Kwik-fit (Perth Road) today, and asked for the cost of the 195/55 16 runflat, they did the Dunlop one for 110, cant remember if that was including fitting, balance, etc.

Goodyear was 90 odd pound.