PDA

View Full Version : MINI Insurance...

Craig
11th November 2005, 11:20 PM
just had one of the most infuriating conversations in a long time. some little g!t at MINI insurance (which are supposed to be linked to MINI in some way) could not give me a quote on my car as it had the JCW Sound Kit.:eek::eek:

They had no idea what it was, what it contained and if it affected the bhp!!:evil::evil::evil:

They had now sent me away to find out and them get back to them with the details.... It's always the same with multi-national companies, one hand NEVER talks to the other...:mad::mad::mad:

Rant over

away to phone Adrian Flux and Greenlight to see if they will cover it and how much... (it still looks like being over £500 which I think is expensive...:()

Bignorm
12th November 2005, 03:01 AM
hey craigd i was behind your car the night on the way home from work car is looking cool

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2005, 03:28 AM
Craig, eSure are just as bad for inconsistency.:mad: Our Cooper S was insured with them when it came as standard. When we added the Dastec stage one (taking it to 205bhp) they wouldn't touch it. they said "That's far to big a jump in BHP for us to consider.":mad::mad: However, they happily insured Neil for his JCW 210 BHP just two months earlier.:question::disapprove::mad::question:

Our Cooper CVT was insured with MINI Cover, and when we were arranging the insurance we had to list every item we had fitted to the car above it's basic spec. I also seem to remember them not having a clue what a CVT was also. You know how we spec our cars, so that list went on for ages. And each time they added an item they had to "refer to underwriters". It took ages.:(

When we changed the Cooper CVT to the S MINI Cover INSISTED we fit a tracker.:(:(

Adrian Flux were a bit weird but reasonably priced - considering.;):D

A

Starky
12th November 2005, 04:11 AM
Cooper S with Halifax - £338, quite happy with that, been with them a few years now and premiums don't seem to increase much if at all, or maybe it's just our good driving. :p:D

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2005, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Cooper S with Halifax - £338, quite happy with that, been with them a few years now and premiums don't seem to increase much if at all, or maybe it's just our good driving. :p:D

£338 is a good price. We were about £400 with eSure before mods.

A.

Craig
12th November 2005, 05:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by roaster21

hey craigd i was behind your car the night on the way home from work car is looking cool

are you sure it was me norman, not been in stirling today.? (reg ends CAD)... <did someone nick ma car for a joy ride while I was in glasgow at the stinking course that finished early and I could really have gone to Oxford after all..... DEEP BREATH...(Issues..;))

Craig
12th November 2005, 05:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

quote:Originally posted by Starky

£338 is a good price. We were about £400 with eSure before mods.

A.

See that is my point - I have 7 years no claims, no convictions and they want £525 for my renewal :eek::eek:- I just don't get it...<thieving insurance g!ts.:mad::()

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2005, 05:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd
See that is my point - I have 7 years no claims, no convictions and they want £525 for my renewal :eek::eek:- I just don't get it...<thieving insurance g!ts.:mad::()

You gotta shop arround. Its all you can do to get your premium down. We were with eSure for 4 years with the CRV then the Merc M Class. But they were rediculously expensive for the X5. Try "More Than". We will be paying less with them on the X5 than we were for the M Class with eSure. Go figure:question::question:

I guess you didn't get to Oxford then.:(:disapprove::(

What was MarkyC's surprise?:D:question:

Craig
12th November 2005, 05:45 AM
I looked a jumping on a flight to Luton (as my course finished before 12 today) and MarkyC picking me up, but they wanted £130 for a one way flight as it was last minute - this would nearly cover the trip next year, so decided not to...:(

His surprise was he got a Cooper S instead of a Cooper, so he is finding out how easy it is to loose his licence..;) I have a feeling he may be looking at that as his next car after the phone call I got today...:D

MartinSullivan
12th November 2005, 06:06 AM
I have 7 years no claims, no convictions and they want £525 for my renewal :eek::eek:- I just don't get it...<thieving insurance g!ts.:mad::()

Ouch that is steep - my 230 bhp Cooper S is insured for not much more than that - with every modifcation listed and replaceable with like for like parts. I have 8 yrs no claims and 3 points on my licence. Thats with Greenlight who I know you were going to try anyway.

Bignorm
12th November 2005, 06:31 AM
hey craigd it was in camelon i seen you

JohnO
12th November 2005, 07:26 AM
MINI insurance is certainly not cheap !!!!
Im also 9 yrs NCB , 3 points (bl**dy bike!) and GTT220 + wheels declared for 550 and Im 33!!!
Greenlight too

Craig
12th November 2005, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by roaster21

hey craigd it was in camelon i seen you

aaaahhh, that explains it, was on my way to falkirk high to pick up my sister.... It needs a wash though...;)

john
13th November 2005, 08:51 PM
Well its no secret that I'm not the youngest on here;)

When I had my first cooper I asked my insurance about the effect on my policy if I fitted aftermarket wheels and exhaust,they said that they would NOT insure me:mad:

When I bought the challenge car (roll cage, only two seats, JCW,etc,etc) they said hold on I dont think we can Insure that either,I explained that its not aftermarket as it is a Cooper Clubsport,they called back and to my surprise said NO PROBLEM!! £250 fully comp:cool:

GAJ
13th November 2005, 10:29 PM
That does seem very expensive. I've 6 points, only one years no claims and I'm a lot less than £500!

Try Confused and see if you have any luck with them.

Craig
14th November 2005, 04:28 PM
confused refused to quote for me because of the modifications...:(

greenlight is the cheapest at the moment, but it's still over £450:disapprove:

Smurf
14th November 2005, 05:27 PM
That seems awfully expensive.
I'm with Direct Line, they know of all the extras over and above the standard spec, and I'm not much over £300! (I think.....)

Our classic is insured with Mini World insurance - they might be worth a try for your MINI Craig, they were brilliant with Orville. They understand the whole Mini ethic! :D

Duncan Stewart
14th November 2005, 06:40 PM
Under £200 with direct line for my Cooper. Sounds like they are trying it on.

Scottie
14th November 2005, 07:31 PM
you know what it is Craig it your postcode "Denny" it was the same for me a Larbert loads cheaper with the Inverness postcode.

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2005, 08:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

you know what it is Craig it your postcode "Denny" it was the same for me a Larbert loads cheaper with the Inverness postcode.

Ahhhh. yes. Never thought of that. Makes a huge difference sometimes. Not that I'm suggesting there's anything wrong with Denny, but I know even in Gala there are parts of the TD1 postcode which are significantly more expensive to insure than others.:mad::disapprove:

Craig
15th November 2005, 01:36 AM
well the whole insurance thing has finally been sorted (after a small discussion with my helpful dealer;)).

The main problem seems to be the BHP increase, but MINI Insurance have finally agreed to insure it for a very reasonable £375. I say reasonable as this is the cheapest insurance quote I have had in years!:D:D:D

roll on the time when I can move to the country and get cheap insurance..;)

Thanks for all the help guys - might just use that for insuring the clas :eek:.........<oops, forgot nobody knows...;)>

Craig:p

AndyP & Lenore
15th November 2005, 05:37 AM
Craig.....is that thing no-one knows about the thing you weren't talking about at the last MINIMeets, that you didn't win but hoped you might get anyway? ;)

A

Craig
15th November 2005, 05:48 AM
ok ok mr smartypants.... away and polish yer drug dealer bmw...;)

finding the search rather slow and a lot of brickwalls.... most of them are south of england aswell so got to either get a plane or drive all the way there and back with a friendly other driver...:disapprove:

AndyP & Lenore
16th November 2005, 04:55 AM

ok ok mr smartypants.... away and polish yer drug dealer bmw...;)

finding the search rather slow and a lot of brickwalls.... most of them are south of england aswell so got to either get a plane or drive all the way there and back with a friendly other driver...:disapprove:

Not even picked the Beemer up yet. :(. Well pissed with DVLA. Expect a rant tomorrow (after we pick up) - don't want to piss them off until it's in our hands. And there's every chance someone from DVLA lurk on this site.:(:(

Hope you get sorted soon;);)

N12 JLK
17th November 2005, 05:21 AM
The Mini insurance will be dealt with by another insurer and they will give a commission to Mini. You will find they have nothing else whatsoever to do with Mini. Hence no knowledge:(:(:(

If you are shopping around on tiniternet Gerry you will notice that a few of them have exactly the same webpage apart from the logo, that it is more than likely they are the same insurer.

I work for Royal & SunAlliance and I will shortly be allowed a discount through More Than for friends. So - will someone be my friend!!!

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2005, 11:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12
I work for Royal & SunAlliance and I will shortly be allowed a discount through More Than for friends. So - will someone be my friend!!!

Always a friend Lesley, but we just signed up with More Than just last week for the X5.:(

Maybe the MINI next year though.;)

Craig
17th November 2005, 04:37 PM
if cheaper insurance is on the cards, I'll be yer friend..;)

Crombers
17th November 2005, 06:35 PM

Absolutely!! Big group hug now folks :approve:

markyc
18th November 2005, 09:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

MarkyC sneeks in for a wee hug too :D:D;)

N12 JLK
19th November 2005, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by markyc

quote:Originally posted by crombers

MarkyC sneeks in for a wee hug too :D:D;)

anything for markyc:)

Craig
19th November 2005, 07:38 AM
whits wrong wi the big guy??? :(:(

colink
1st December 2005, 05:04 AM
MINI Insurance is basically UK Insurance Limited. The last time I phoned the guy actually answered the call with "Good morning, Tesco insurance, how can I help?" When I went "Eh, did you say Tesco?" he laughed and apologised, claiming he was thinking about his shopping! :D

Anyways, I've been delighted with MINI Insurance - always courteous and helpful, quick to provide things like Greencards and, when they did botch something up, very quick to get a senior person involved and sort it to my satisfaction.

I pay a fortune for insurance (£1500) but then I am under 30, the wife is under 25, the car is modded (GTT220, 18s, audio etc), only 3 years NCB and, the killer blow, we live in Liverpool :( The equivalent quote for East Lothian is £800! I shopped around and MINI were actually the best value policy (taking into consideration what the policy provides and not just the premium). Adrian Flux were awful - rude, didn't return calls and took the pi55 with a quote of £1800 and less benefits than the MINI policy.