PDA

View Full Version : Books..

AndyP & Lenore
11th November 2005, 08:22 AM
Who here reads?

I'm talking about thriller/P.I. type novels. In the US they call them mystery novels.

I'm a huge fan of Lee Child, Lawrence Block, Robert Crais, Steve Hamilton, Ian Rankin.

Also fond of the Harry Potter books. But nothing beats a good mystery/thriller.

I Want A Works
11th November 2005, 09:34 AM
I know that this is very much jumping on the media bad wagon, but I have just finished "THE DAVINCI CODE" and an about half way through "ANGELS AND DEMONS". I;m quite inpressed cos I'm not a reader, and the last book I actually read other than these was about 3 years ago.

If you are looking for a funy book try "ROUND IRELAND WITH A FRIDGE" by Tony Hawks

Edit - changed the font for easier viewing 8)

Big Col
11th November 2005, 05:03 PM
I read alllll the time but I'm a big geek who reads Lord of the Rings style books. I do read others though. I thought The Davinci Code was a fantastic book. I read it in one sitting when waiting hours for a flight at Belfast airport. I wasn't too impressed with Dan Brown's other books though.

Andy or Lenore (You guys should really sign off with "A" or "L" at the end of your posts :)) try this website for book recommendations
http://www.lovereading.co.uk/genre/cmt
http://www.lovereading.co.uk/genre/cwh
I've linked to the pages I think you'd look at. The site can send you an email each month recommending books of the genre you like and lets you download the first chapter to see if you'd like it. It also has a feature that recommends "like for like" authors where it tells you what other authors are similar to ones you like already. :)

AndyP & Lenore
11th November 2005, 05:50 PM
I read Da Vinci Code a few months back. It was an ok read. Didn't blow me away. At the end of the book I just laid the book aside and said "OK. What's next".

I'd recommend everyone gets hold of a copy of Killing Floor by Lee Child. Lee is a fantastic writer and his protagonist former US Military Policeman Jack Reacher is a great hero.

A

euan
11th November 2005, 06:21 PM
I liked the Da Vinci code, but the other books were not great. Enjoyable, but not fantastic.

I read all sorts. Currently reading To Kill A Mocking Bird, as I'd never read it, but the last thing I read was by Ian Stafford, a journalist who tried to beat Michael Schumacher. He's done a few of these things, challenging sportsman/women at their own field.

Before that, I read "To the Baltic with Bob" by Griff Rhys Jones about his sailing exploits, and before that, one of the Ian Rankin books. I love Rankin, but I've read so many that I've forgotten which ones I've read!

Scottie
14th November 2005, 06:09 PM
Mills @ Boons everytime:D:D:p;)

Julz
14th November 2005, 06:45 PM
I'm a bit of an Ian Rankin fan too but am trying to expand on my mystery/thriller selection (that and reduce the number of books I read with blood and gore in them!). Recently read a book by a Stuart MacBride based in Aberdeen which was ok, but I'm a very big fan of Kathy Reichs, she's a forensic anthropologist in real life so her details and gore are pretty impressive! But her most recent book wasn't that exciting but her others are definately worth a read!! (currently reading Jasper Fforde whose books are just weird!!:p)

As for Harry Potter, I can't believe she ended the HBP book like that!!:mad::mad:

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2005, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'm a bit of an Ian Rankin fan too but am trying to expand on my mystery/thriller selection ......

Julz, there are some excelent American mystery/thriller writers out there you should try. Micheal Connelly, Jeffery Deaver, Harlan Coben & Steve Hamilton come to mind. But the best of the best is Lee Child. Born and raised in the UK, He worked in the UK for ITV for 30 years, lived in Cumbria until his first couple of books hit the big time, then moved to NYC. His protagonist is a guy called Jack Reacher who's a former US Army Military Policeman. Jack is hard as nails, the books are really well written, and are compelling investigatory novels and some of them are packed with bone breaking action too. Jack is everyone's hero. And for some reason he has a huge female following.;) Lee's web site is at: Lee Child Web Site (http://www.leechild.com)

AndyP & Lenore
14th November 2005, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Eeeuuuuucccchhhhh....:eek: Lenore's a Danielle Steel fan.:eek::eek:

sleepyrascal
14th November 2005, 07:04 PM
I'm currently reading North Sea Moguls. QUALITY! A must for anyone in the North Sea oil industry!

Scottie
14th November 2005, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Eeeuuuuucccchhhhh....:eek: Lenore's a Danielle Steel fan.:eek::eek:

good choice Danielle Steel :D:p;)

Burple
14th November 2005, 09:03 PM
quote:
Julz, there are some excelent American mystery/thriller writers out there you should try. Micheal Connelly, Jeffery Deaver, Harlan Coben & Steve Hamilton come to mind. But the best of the best is Lee Child. Born and raised in the UK, He worked in the UK for ITV for 30 years, lived in Cumbria until his first couple of books hit the big time, then moved to NYC. His protagonist is a guy called Jack Reacher who's a former US Army Military Policeman. Jack is hard as nails, the books are really well written, and are compelling investigatory novels and some of them are packed with bone breaking action too. Jack is everyone's hero. And for some reason he has a huge female following.;) Lee's web site is at: Lee Child Web Site (http://www.leechild.com)

If you guys like this sort of thing you should DEFINITELY get your mitts on some ALL of Christopher Brookmyre's books! He's Scottish, and all his books are relevant and thouroughly un-put-downable!! ;) and there's also a large dollop of good Scottish humour and LOTS of dialect to get into in there too!! Currently reading his new one - "It's all fun and games till someone loses an Eye" :D
Would recommend any of his works tho, some titles include
"A Big Boy did it and ran away"
"Boiling a Frog"
"One fine day in the middle of the night"
"Be my Enemy"
"Quite Ugly one morning"

www.brookmyre.co.uk

You won't put 'em down!! :D

Wul
14th November 2005, 10:31 PM
Ditto the munchkins sentiments - Brookmyres books are class!

Currently working my way through Graham Obrees autobigraphy.