PDA

View Full Version : EVO magazine (Nov)

Linda M
4th October 2003, 06:08 AM
This months issue of evo has reviews of 11 converted MINI's for anyone out there interested :D

Gismo
4th October 2003, 06:15 AM
I might have a passing interest

Bonnie Scotland

KarenH
4th October 2003, 06:24 AM
Linda,

I notice that the JCW Cooper S comes out best ;) - and Dunedin have their JCW demonstrator available now too :eek:

Karen

macblob
4th October 2003, 08:04 AM
yup dunedin do have there own works s, need to get my ass down there for a go

Julz
4th October 2003, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by KarenH

Linda,

I notice that the JCW Cooper S comes out best ;) - and Dunedin have their JCW demonstrator available now too :eek:

Karen

Mmmm, don't know if I'd agree with 'best', most reliable maybe!! I've copied out the verdict in Mini2 if anyone wants a peek!!;)

Tony
4th October 2003, 07:31 PM
i agree with Julz.
I think EVO were swayed towards the BBR.

Interesting to see their opinion on the Cooper.
Ive always been an avid follower of EVO, they seem to know their stuff, and report from an enthusiasts point of view.

Its a shame to hear that they dont recommend tuning the Cooper, but I suppose that is something which we all know deep down.

They say that its not worth spending the money for what little gain can be had. AND the JCW Cooper they tested was signifiactnly slower than their standard cooper AND the Janspeed Cooper with 137BHP could only shave off 0.3 seconds to 60 from the standard cooper.

Makes you wonder.,.......although they did agree that the cooper needs to breath better, so maybe filters and exhausts are still allowed then, ok!

macblob
4th October 2003, 07:57 PM
Just bought evo today, but still to ready the article, was thinking of filter , exhaust and prehaps a superchip for my cooper in a yr , but who knows might just trade it in for an s :D

KarenH
5th October 2003, 05:48 AM
I bet you must be pleased with the performance of the BBR Julz, it certainly comes out of the Evo test very well :).

Willie M
5th October 2003, 06:25 AM
Like Tony & Macblob I was disappointed to read the poor review of the Janspeed kit for the Cooper :( I'd been following the Janspeed development for a few months and was waiting for this, their first full review. As of a couple of weeks ago they still hadn't fitted a kit to a paying member of the publics MINI, only a couple of their own test cars. Sadly I doubt this review will do much to encourage many Cooper owners to take the plunge ( a move I had been considering for next year).

As Tony said, I think we Cooper folks realise that other than filters, chips, exhausts, etc. their ain't a lot we can do at the moment.

When I was over on the Mizen to Malin I met a guy (experienced motor mechanic to trade) who had driven the JCW Cooper for a couple of months. He said it was a real disappointment, full of 'holes' and if anything reduced the original performance of the car. 'Don't go near it', he said.

Ah well, back to researching and planning Stouffer 2004 :D

Julz
5th October 2003, 06:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by KarenH

I bet you must be pleased with the performance of the BBR Julz, it certainly comes out of the Evo test very well :).

It is absolutely fantastic, I'm just getting a bit fed up of the endless streams of dithers doing no more than 45mph!! I would recommend this conversion to anyone, and they do Coopers too, so there may be hope for you disappointed Cooper owners out there!!:p

Willie M
5th October 2003, 06:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

they do Coopers too, so there may be hope for you disappointed Cooper owners out there!!:p
;) Aha !! Must investigate :D

ELFMAN
16th October 2003, 10:34 PM
Re. Tuned Coopers/evo magazine

Fitted a Pipercross Cone filter (see PX forum entry), and took it back off, noisier and slower.
My advice to Cooper People - stick a decent exhaust on it (Magnex on mine - great), fill it up with Shell "Optimax", find a good road and enjoy yourself. Save £££'s towards an 'S' if you want to go faster.

Have seen a few Rolling road reports in the Mini mags and "tuned" Coopers don't seem to make much (if anything) over the standard ones. Tuning the 'S' is a different matter as it actually "Works".
Although the standard 'S' is no slouch. Is a second or so in the gears and 0-60/100 worth the money? Probably. But no matter what you've got, you'll STILL get used to it and want more!!!! Ask my 170BHP Peugeot 106GTI which I traded in for the Cooper, which is actually more fun more of the time.

Point to ponder: At first the Cooper was "fantastic" (still is), but "needed more power". Then the 'S' "finally gave the Cooper the power it needed", now the 'S' "needs a bit more power". Apparently according to evo, one of the companies (AMD? can't remember) is working on a 300BHP Turbo. Stay tuned for the first Twin Lamborghini V10'd MINI One.....or just buy a Scooby WRX. In the real world, 80% of the time my wee Cooper is quick enough, the other 20%? I really should know better by now.

minidriver#1
16th October 2003, 11:38 PM
Julz, got a link for the BBR conversion for the Cooper? my insurance comp said any engine mods will add a max of £19 to my insurance. lol. so i may as well go for something. JCW is my prefered but i'm wanting a strong solution and i know you're pleased with your BBR conversion :)

Julz
16th October 2003, 11:41 PM
Try the bottom of this page

http://www.bbrgti.demon.co.uk/mini.htm#one

I know there's not alot of info, so your best bet would be to phone BBR themselves, speak to Mickey, very helpful chap!!;):clown:

I believe Mickey is actually on holiday just now, but if you just ask whoever answers the phone (there's only 5 of them there I think!!), I'm sure they'll help, or find someone who will!!;)

minidriver#1
17th October 2003, 12:03 AM
eventually i want an m3 engine put into the cooper, i know its possible. I want an S, but i want silk green, which of course is out of the question now, so i'll be keepin the cooper.

I'm definately going for an engine conv, Julz, i'll check that out, thank sfor the info :)

Burple
17th October 2003, 12:28 AM
quote:
one of the companies (AMD? can't remember) is working on a 300BHP Turbo.

Sounds about right...
They had an 'S' down at Mini in the Park with about 330bhp (with nitrous....). Nice bunch of chaps to talk to as well... they know their stuff... Pestered them for a good half hour!!! ;);):D