PDA

View Full Version : this must be ANOTHER ebay hoax

john
8th November 2005, 06:17 AM
Hoax :question: (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Cooper-S-john-cooper-works-1-6-6-Speed_W0QQitemZ4588027559QQcategoryZ38708QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

sleepyrascal
8th November 2005, 06:35 AM
Definatelty! He has a buy it now option of £4500!!!

This car is worth £14000 ??

Notice also that this is a one day auction! I'm thinking STOLEN CAR with switched plates and by listing it for one day only, it might not be niticed.

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2005, 06:41 AM
I reckon so too! It also says it is an automatic which wasn't available on the S till February this year and to date the John Cooper Works option is still not available on the Auto box:(

MartinSullivan
8th November 2005, 07:06 AM
The bit about not being contactable through ebay is dodgy - looks like someone has had their account cloned or hacked :(

sleepyrascal
8th November 2005, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

The bit about not being contactable through ebay is dodgy - looks like someone has had their account cloned or hacked :(

Thats probably it.

Hey martin.... ON my computer, for this thread it says bonnie scotland was the last poster, but when i click the wee blue arrow, it goes to your post which is infact the last post.

well, it was until i posted this!

Gismo
8th November 2005, 07:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascalHey martin.... ON my computer, for this thread it says bonnie scotland was the last poster, but when i click the wee blue arrow, it goes to your post which is infact the last post.
That was because i tidied John's original post to a suitable size, his link was rather large ;)

john
8th November 2005, 07:30 AM
Cheers Alan:)

sleepyrascal
8th November 2005, 08:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascalHey martin.... ON my computer, for this thread it says bonnie scotland was the last poster, but when i click the wee blue arrow, it goes to your post which is infact the last post.
That was because i tidied John's original post to a suitable size, his link was rather large ;)

AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sleepyrascal
8th November 2005, 09:18 AM
the mini has now been removed from ebay

Big Col
8th November 2005, 05:03 PM
I never got to see the link. Was there much damage after the motor fell off the back of the wagon?

minimadtez
8th November 2005, 08:42 PM
I had to be nosy......i emailed the guy asking why so cheap for such a great car. His reply.....

The Mini Cooper S is located in West Yorkshire ,UK.The car is already at eBay veryfied by them and ready for shipment so immediately after you make the payment to them as a third part they will move the founds in their trust account and then they will start the shipping.They will hold the money there untill you give them your confirmation that you received the car.If the car is not how I described it, I offer a full refund, upon the return of the car (return shipping on my expense).

I'm right now in a business trip in Ancona,Italy .The reason that i'm selling it at this price is that i found a very good oportunity for a business and for that i need the money here in Italy.

I will contact ebay immediately and open a case there so you will receive an invoice from them soon with all the details about the transaction.

i'm waiting for your mail.
Best regards ,

(then he gave me his address)

GAJ
9th November 2005, 02:06 AM
Me too, I'm still spinning him along - the latest is his spoofed message with appalling grammar meant to appear as if it was sent from eBay's SafeHarbor department, see below:

[i]Thank you for writing to eBay United Kingdom Customer Support.

We verified seller's information's, all the details of this transaction
and we concluded that they are accurate.Our verifications confirm
seller's contact info and his ability to deliver the merchandise
advertised on our site.There is a limited group of sellers on ebay
which we can recommend and ' Brian Bissell ' is one of them .

eBay buyer should feel confident purchasing from an eBay Seal
Member.Ebay item ' Mini Cooper S john cooper works 1.6 (6 Speed) 'has
been verified by eBay agent and is committed to customer satisfaction
.Seal Member ' Brian Bissell '( b1ssell01@yahoo.co.uk ) uses Wire
Transfer through Western Union for the payment to speed up the
transaction.You have to pay with cash at any Western Union Office.

The program covers the following types of fraud and material
misrepresentation:

-Paying for a car and never receiving it.
-Sending a deposit for a car and never receiving the car (restrictions
apply to non-refundable deposits ).
-Paying for and receiving a car : that was a stolen car at the time of
the transaction; with an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title;
of a make and/or model that is different than what was described in the
seller's listing; without receiving the title for that car from the
seller(restrictions apply); or whose title is subject to an undisclosed
salvage,rebuilt/rebuildable,unrebuildable,reconstructed,scrapped/destroyed,
junk, or water damage title brand.

-Paying for and receiving a car with a model year that is different
than the model year described in the seller's listing.
-Paying for and receiving a car with an odometer reading that is
different than the odometer reading described in the seller's listing.

Second, the Program also covers paying for and receiving a vehicle with
undisclosed engine,transmission, or body damage.

The insurer of this transaction is eBay Inc.
The account is managed by eBay center.
This transaction is supervised by eBay SafeHarbor team

Purchase protection and refund:

Currently, this seller has a £10,000.00 deposit in an eBay managed
purchase protection account. Transactions with this eBay seller are
covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors.

For your safety, this account was locked today, for 90 days time
period. The seller is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this
period.

Should you need a refund for this transaction, the insured amount will
be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and sent to you.
The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order.
The way you are refunded is at your choice. You have 90 days from the
above verification date to request a refund. Refund requests are
processed within 3 days.

Our department require the payment to be done through Western Union
transfer service directly to our eBay agent from Ancona,Italy
(www.ebay.it) .

Paying Safely and Protection Programs eBay Protection Policy
This policy was last modified on Jan 1, 2005.

EBAY PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS

1. Item Title : Mini Cooper S john cooper works 1.6 (6 Speed)

2. Payment Details
Amount : £4,500.00
Down Payment : £0.00
Shipping : £0,00
Total : £4,500.00

3. Seller Details
Name : Brian Bissell
17 cleveleys avenue
Halifax , West Yorkshire HX62HS

4. eBay Agent Details
Name : : Mark Jeferson
Street : 17 Viale Verdi
City : Ancona
Zip code : 84100

5. How to make payment?

Locate the nearest Western Union Office in your area.Click here to
locate the Western Union agents near your location:

http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentInquiryIntl.asp.

Make the payment with cash using the abo

sleepyrascal
9th November 2005, 02:23 AM
Me too. I got exactly the sam einfo as Gaj and Tez! What a tit!

Gaj, as I was saying to tez earlier, I think the email from ebay safe harbour is partly genuine. However this is how I think it works.

He posts a fake item on ebay and instantly complains about himself from an assumed email address or alternate ebay username.

Ebay responds and hey presto, he has a skeleton ebay email to work from. He edits this to say what he wants it to say, whilst retaining the general look and structure of a genuine ebay email. Then sends it on to those who have been talking to him.

The reason I think this is from what it says in the subject. Re: FWD which means the email has been sent, recieved and then forwarded.

Some of the stuff he says is so terrible. A 5 year old could have come up with more convincing crap!

MartinSullivan
9th November 2005, 02:27 AM
There is a thread similar to this on Mini2 from a while back - much of the stuff is the same , even the italian connection. Not sure if its the same guy but its obviously a common scam - I just cant believe people fall for it.

sleepyrascal
9th November 2005, 02:32 AM

There is a thread similar to this on Mini2 from a while back - much of the stuff is the same , even the italian connection. Not sure if its the same guy but its obviously a common scam - I just cant believe people fall for it.

When the guy supplys a home address, email contact, reason for cheap sale etc, it could become tempting. He does all that, but none of it checks out. The address is fake for a start.

And He called himself Brian Bissell. Thats the kind of name you give to the police when you get done for being intoxicated and naked in a public park youv'e been bad!

duncan
9th November 2005, 02:42 AM
Any offer, email, or eBay that has the words "Western Union money transfer" starts alarms sounding.

AndyP & Lenore
9th November 2005, 04:00 AM
Oh what a surprise....:D

"Invalid Item
This listing (4588027559) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction cancelled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

Items that ended more than 90 days ago are no longer accessible through the eBay system"

eBay item removed (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Cooper-S-john-cooper-works-1-6-6-Speed_W0QQitemZ4588027559QQcategoryZ38708QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

Edited to say:
OOooops. Somehow I missed the post from Sleepy saying the same as me. Note_to_self> WAKE UP!!!

john
9th November 2005, 08:53 AM
Another dodgy looking sale!!

Turn up the volume for this one!!

Turn up the volume (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-RENAULT-CLIO-RENAULT-SPORT-V6-255-BLUE_W0QQitemZ4587941904QQcategoryZ9861QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Thanks in advance to Alan for tidying up this post too:)

sleepyrascal
9th November 2005, 09:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

Turn up the volume (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-RENAULT-CLIO-RENAULT-SPORT-V6-255-BLUE_W0QQitemZ4587941904QQcategoryZ9861QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Nice advice about turning up the volume :mad::mad: :D

How do you find all these fake sales? Are you some secret ebay agent?

ny152
9th November 2005, 10:35 AM
That soundtrack is one of the funniest I've ever heard :D:D

Burple
9th November 2005, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

Lol!! That song is great! Weird Al rocks!

"A Smurf TV Tray" ha ha ha..

What HAVE you been up to Vaila??? :D:D:p:p:p

Craig
18th November 2005, 02:00 AM
looks like another one.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-MINI-COOPER-S-1-6_W0QQitemZ4591240944QQcategoryZ38708QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

only £3k :eek::eek:

MartinSullivan
18th November 2005, 02:04 AM
Definitely looks like another dodgy one LOL - who is going to email them then?

monkimagic
18th November 2005, 04:24 AM

Definitely looks like another dodgy one LOL - who is going to email them then?

email sent

monkimagic
18th November 2005, 06:55 AM
this is the reply i got
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello there,
I know that you have many choices on eBay and I appreciate that you contacted me.Although I am registered in the UK, but I recently moved in GREECE (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I made the auction for UK due to the fact it's UK version (right handed), meet all the UK standards, and its better to ship it where it belongs, that means UK, because here in GREECE is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle, so i am trying to sell it as low as i can to complete the sale fast (my loss will be your gain). It still has UK registration, cos I didn't paid for GREECE import taxes so it will be very easy for you to register the car in your country. You will have to pay just the taxes associated with registering it in UK. The car meets United Kindom DOT and EPA guidelines so there will be no problems regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in a perfect cosmetic and engine conditions, and meticulously maintained. No damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, the engine doesn't smoke, runs and sounds awesome, the engine has never been repaired or something like that, never been into accidents and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, it is free of encumbrances and liens. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in UK, and also a bill of sale in your name and signed by me.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund, upon the return of the item in original condition (return postage at my expense). It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your front door in maximum one week. Final price is £ 3,000.00 (this price includes the shipping and insurance).
I wait your final decision and I will call at ebay and tell them to contact you with the transaction details in order to buy under their PURCHASE PROTECTION & REFUND PLAN.
Thank you!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Fact or fiction ?

Cooper_si
1st December 2005, 10:30 PM
i didnt know things like this happened on EBAY!! this is exactly the reason why i do not sell items on ebay...i just dont trust it.

Smurf
2nd December 2005, 04:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Just noticed this.... However I think I'm too late to see whatever it was! :I:(

john
2nd December 2005, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Just noticed this.... However I think I'm too late to see whatever it was! :I:(

check this out;)

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/ebay-song-p1.php?fro

minimadtez
3rd December 2005, 02:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cooper_si

i didnt know things like this happened on EBAY!! this is exactly the reason why i do not sell items on ebay...i just dont trust it.

Selling aint the problem, its unreliable sellers. Fortunately ive not had a bad experience with ebay so far....just gotta keep a look out for dodgy sales like those cars