PDA

View Full Version : Winter car care

N12 JLK
6th November 2005, 04:50 PM
Wul yes in know winters coming up and i do have to drive my cooper a short distance to the train station everyday to get to work, so with the cold weather coming in soon and the nasty GIT LORRIES sorry grit lorries spraying that salt over the roads whats the best protection I can put on the car . Jason puts tec wax on the car and mer on the wheels over the supaguard you like soooooooo much;). A reply would be greatful.:)

bpirie1000
7th November 2005, 05:52 PM
nothing works as good as Elbow Grease..

Should be able to get some from your Local outlet or Halfords...

Hee hee

Cheers and Good luck.

euan
7th November 2005, 07:26 PM
To be honest that sounds about right to me. Just make sure you keep the car clean and wash all the nasty salt and grime off the car to avoid any problems. I'll likely put on a couple of coats of wax but as you have supaguard you shouldn't have to.

Well, that's all I do, but anyone with brighter ideas to suggest what i should do I'll happily listen as well!

Wul
7th November 2005, 07:31 PM
Hey lesley - i'm afraid the nasty gritters made a mess of the front trim, bumper and bonnet of my MCS in 1 winter - to be perfect would have needed a re-spray, but that's not my worry anymore.8)

Anyway - to your question - there really isn't much you can do other than keep your wax well topped up - but unless you have a garage, then once the temps dip below 3-4deg C you'll stuggle to get anywax to bond to the cars paint. Zaino is supposed to be the best synthetic sealant - but this is expensive to buy/import and not sure how well it will work on your supaguard either?

The other option is to get the front end covered in the clear plastic film stuff - but this will set you back at least £150ish if I remember rightly.<awaits Mr Sullivan;)>

MartinSullivan
7th November 2005, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
<awaits Mr Sullivan;)>

Here I am :D

Not sure how much it is for the clear bra stuff - Fiona had it put on hers so she should be able to give a report and let you know how effective it is.

One place that does it is Defendall (http://www.defendall.co.uk/) - they have outlets in various places round Scotland (through Tinthaus) but the head office is

77 Station Road
Ratho Station
Edinburgh
EH28 8QP

0131 335 0044

They used to have a mini (might still have) and offered a discount to Minis if you ask for it ;)

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2005, 04:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Jason puts tec wax on the car and mer on the wheels over the supaguard you like soooooooo much;).

Lesley,

I take it Jason waxes the car despite having supaguard on it 'cos supaguard is actually pretty crap? Next time you buy a car and you want a "real" paint protection, try Jewelultra Diamondbrite - it's much much better. I know Wul doesn't speak highly of it either, but I've found it to be excellent:cool:. Had it applied to 4 different cars now. I even had Supaguard ripped off and Diamondbrite applied to our M Class. X5 is booked in next week.:D

N12 JLK
20th November 2005, 06:17 AM
cant say a bad thing about the supaguard , had it on my 2 past cars now any theve always stayed looking new!