PDA

View Full Version : WHEELS, YES OR NO???

sleepyrascal
1st November 2005, 08:46 PM
I have been offered a fairly good deal on a set of rims. Need some help though because I have never bought new wheels before.

ATS DRM on 215/35/18 Nankang Tyres

£610 (supplied, balanced and fitted)
Any good???

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/images/WheelModels/ats_dtm2000.png

The Dogfather
1st November 2005, 09:05 PM
They will look good on your car, and the price looks v.good?

Not sure about 18s though......

sleepyrascal
1st November 2005, 09:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Not sure about 18s though......

Why not 18s?

Big Col
1st November 2005, 09:15 PM
BD's just jealous because that's taller than he is. ;)

bpirie1000
1st November 2005, 09:30 PM
18's do tend to scuff (depending on the tyre Choice) But they are the dogs Bollocks.. Go For it.
Nice.......

Just make sure that the Offset is correct and (Might sound Strange BUT) that the Studd Pattern is right..

have to drive past and See when there done.. Looks better every time I pass.

what is next on the Mods List.. Hows that mileage Going??

sleepyrascal
1st November 2005, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

18's do tend to scuff But they are teh dogs Bollocks..
Nice.......

Go for it..
Just make sure that the Offset is correct and (Might sound Strange BUT) that the Studd Pattern is right..

have to drive past and See when there done.. Looks better every time I pass.

NICE.....

The wheels shoudln't scuff with 215/35 tyres on them. hopefully.

MartinSullivan
1st November 2005, 09:37 PM
My 18's dont scuff

The Dogfather
1st November 2005, 09:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
BD's just jealous because that's taller than he is. ;)

:D

I'm not sure about 18s because of the effect they have on the cars handling. I nearly went for 16s but they didn't have the alloys I wanted. The 215/35 will stop the scuffing but my 215/40 17s don't have the same amount of feedback as my old 205/45 17s:(

sleepyrascal
2nd November 2005, 12:18 AM
Ok, but technical issues aside... What do you guys think of the wheels and the package price? Are these wheels crap or something or is the dealer just being sympathetic to my cause?? ;0)

sleepyrascal
2nd November 2005, 12:39 AM
Also. what is the stud spacing for mini wheels? And what offset is required?

redpoint rallying
2nd November 2005, 02:34 AM
can I dispel the 18" wheels dont handle thing/myth? They do. ALL manufacturer teams in the World Rally Championship now use 18" wheels for asphalt rallies and most in the JWRC too. Its a bit of an old wives tale this 'dont handle' thing. If they dont, there's something else not making the car handle, it 'aint the wheels if the offset is correct. So there....see BTCC and ETCC race cars .....all nothing less than 18's.

Go get 'em. (The JC Works wheels are also 18")

M

sleepyrascal
2nd November 2005, 02:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

can I dispel the 18" wheels dont handle thing/myth? They do. ALL manufacturer teams in the World Rally Championship now use 18" wheels for asphalt rallies and most in the JWRC too. Its a bit of an old wives tale this 'dont handle' thing. If they dont, there's something else not making the car handle, it 'aint the wheels if the offset is correct. So there....see BTCC and ETCC race cars .....all nothing less than 18's.

Go get 'em. (The JC Works wheels are also 18")

M

I'm sure you are right RP and I don't doubt what your saying! I for one noticed a massive improvement in handling, grip etc when I switched from 17"s to 18"s. However this could be more to do with losing standard run-flats and running a decent tyre.

I have raced around all over the place on 18"s and never once thought my car was lacking in handling abilities. 18"s theoreticaly decrease acceleration very slightly but this can be resolved by running a tyre with a lesser diameter compared to that of the 17".

sleepyrascal
2nd November 2005, 02:46 AM
I have blasted alloys paying me a visit soon to refurb my current 18"s so i'm sticking with them. Gona get some new rubber for them too. Getting all of that work done works out about £150 cheaper than buying new alloys so i'm happy with that.

MartinSullivan
2nd November 2005, 02:54 AM
Like you sleepy I found going to 18's a vast improvement although as you rightly said at least some of that was due to the lighter wheels and better non runflat tyres

The Dogfather
2nd November 2005, 03:28 AM
Bloody hell, now you tell me :( I could have had a set of 18s which do look better, AND the handling.

Bugger!

T6 KFR
2nd November 2005, 03:32 AM
Now i know when getting new wheels to buy 18's!

I hate my run flats, but hey better waiting till after winter now to purchase a nice new set of 18".

redpoint rallying
2nd November 2005, 05:09 AM
Sleepy, yes, you have it. Whenever you increase the diameter of your wheels, (on any car) from the manufacturers standard diameter, you MUST reduce the aspect of the tyre to maintain your accelleration and gearing as it was with the standard rims. If you dont,and you maintain the same aspect tyre on the bigger rims you will have a larger rolling circumference which changes the gearing of your car and will affect the speedometer reading proportinately.(It will decrease your accelleration slightly)

So, bigger rims, lower tyre aspect. A good tyre supplier will keep you right on what aspect to put on what size rims but as we are talking about Minis....whatever the Works 18" rims have, just stick to that size. They have worked it all out for you!

m

MartinSullivan
2nd November 2005, 05:21 AM
Im sure its been posted before but this (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) will show you the discrepancy in your speedo when you change wheel tyre combos from standard

Adam MCS
2nd November 2005, 06:14 AM
The wheels look good sleepyrascal! I have to say, I found the handling on my s went downhill a bit when I went from 17s to 18s, and that's with toyos on my 18s (and runflats on the 17s). I'll have to change back to the 17s at some point to see if I'm not imagining things...

DerekM
2nd November 2005, 04:04 PM
Remember there's adifference between ride and handling. I'd be surprised if the handling was worse with bigger wheels - although with a larger unsprung mass, it is certainly possible - remember bigger wheels may weigh less than standard, but larger tyres will weigh more. However, what will be compromised will be the ride, as there is less damping through a smaller sidewall.

Big Col
2nd November 2005, 05:25 PM
<sniggers> BD's an old wife! ;)

The Dogfather
2nd November 2005, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

<sniggers> BD's an old wife! ;)

Why? Come on explain yourself!:evil::p

GAJ
2nd November 2005, 06:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Topless

Remember there's adifference between ride and handling. I'd be surprised if the handling was worse with bigger wheels - although with a larger unsprung mass, it is certainly possible - remember bigger wheels may weigh less than standard, but larger tyres will weigh more. However, what will be compromised will be the ride, as there is less damping through a smaller sidewall.

I think, all other things being equal, that larger tyres will actually weigh less. Remember - the outer circumference is the same whether you have a 15" wheel or an 18" wheel so as their is effectively 'less tyre' in an 18" tyre/wheel package than a 15" tyre/wheel package due to the lower profile of the tyre it will weigh less.

So there! ;)

DerekM
2nd November 2005, 06:22 PM
lower profile yes, but will be wider, esp if using the 15 / 18 arguament above.

GAJ
2nd November 2005, 06:43 PM
As I said, all other things being equal . . .
for example -

Dunlop SP Sport 195/55-16 = 10.5kg
Dunlop SP Sport 205/45-17 = 9.5kg

But granted, particularly wide tyres will obviously be heavier than much narrower ones.:)

Big Col
2nd November 2005, 10:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
Why? Come on explain yourself!:evil::p

quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

Its a bit of an old wives tale this 'dont handle' thing.

:D