PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Springs

Big Gordy
3rd October 2003, 02:08 AM
Can anyone out there tell me if there is any difference between the cooper and one springs :question: Reason being I have been offered a set of springs from a cooper. Are they stiffer :eek: and will they make the 'weeone' ride lower - if so by how much. Is it going to be worth changing to the cooper spring's is what I'm really asking. Can anyone help :p Ta

Wul
3rd October 2003, 02:52 AM
Is that Alice's brother?;) cousin of the rock star?;)

If i remember right a standard ONE has it's own suspension, and as part of the pack upgrades you can get offered the sports suspension which is standard on a cooper.

The coopers then get offered sports plus as an option which comes standard on the S.

So if i'm right you should check what upgrades if any the salt pack make to the suspension - or wait till KenL reads this post and tells you.

Big Gordy
3rd October 2003, 03:35 AM
I know for a fact that the Salt pack has NO suspension upgrades :approve:

GAJ
3rd October 2003, 03:40 AM
Somebody told me, I can't remember who but I remember thinking "mmm:question::question:", that apart from their being different springs for standard, SS and SS+ they used slightly different springs depending on what options were fitted to the car coz some, like A/C, make it significantly heavier. Probably bollocks though!

I don't know why I even bothered typing that!:I

KenL
3rd October 2003, 04:09 PM
Interesting !

I had thought (but not really sure) the springs on the ONE and standard cooper were the same but a Cooper had a rear anti-roll bar added. Or could it be that the ONE springs are softer but the Sports suspension option on the one uses the softer springs but includes an AR bar.

The SS+ (Cooper option)has stiffer springs and a thicker AR bar.

I drove a Cooper on normal Cooper suspension and same wheels as mine recently and the ride felt exactly like my ONE so I'm not sure it will be worth it. The rear AR bar should make it slightly flatter through bends though if you have that fitted.

Does the offer include the rear AR bar? It might not be a worthwhile upgrade without it.

Might be worth posting on MINI2 as parts guys on there like Minty or StevePSB will be able to tell you for sure.

Big Gordy
3rd October 2003, 04:25 PM
The anti-roll bars are not included KenL. It's my mate Alan from Glasgow who use to have a Cooper with Eibachs fitted. He traded it in with the eibachs still fitted (hence giving me the standard cooper spring's) for a dark silver 'S' that now sits on a set of coil-overs. Well smart :D Hmmmmmmmm I wonder if I could talk him into giving me the 'S' springs instead ;) I feel a cunning plan emerging :p:D

Wul
3rd October 2003, 08:04 PM
Well - dug out the 2002 rnage brochure and the options are as follows

Sports Suspension is an option on the ONE and Standard on the COOPER
Sports Suspension Plus is an option on the COOPER and standard on the S.

It doesn;t however list what they call the standard suspesion on the ONE!

Duncan Stewart
7th October 2003, 09:46 PM
I think the cooper is lower than the "S". When I have parked beside an "S" my cooper looks lower at the rear with the 15 inch wheels but the "S" looks like it is higher on it's bigger wheels (although the overall diameter of the bigger wheels should be the same due to the lower profile tyres). Or perhaps it is an illusion created by the wider tyres and different rear bumper:question:. Not sure if cooper lower than mini one tho. Must take a ruler with me to the next mini run :D