PDA

View Full Version : White Alloys in Winter

T8SLD
27th October 2005, 05:23 PM
I'm probably being lazy and there is no doubt a thread about this somewhere!

First winter with my mini and wondering whether to change the white alloys. Dont really want to as my yellow car wont look the same without them due to the white roof/wing mirrors and it still needs to look decent hee hee :p! But at the same time, dont want to ruin them!

Anyone with with white alloys that can share their experiences :question:
Cheers very muckle!

euan
27th October 2005, 06:18 PM
I don't know specifically about white alloys, but if you wax them they will be easier to clean and take a bit longer to get dirty.

Wul
27th October 2005, 07:16 PM
yip as ewan says wax will help - in theory they should be fine so long as you keep them clean and make sure and dings or kerbings are painted over.

euan
27th October 2005, 07:38 PM
Spelling, Wul.....Pah! :)

T8SLD
27th October 2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Guys! Wax shopping for me this weekend! :)

euan
27th October 2005, 07:51 PM
<whispers> Megs NXT ....

Smitty
27th October 2005, 07:53 PM
wht kind of wax is best thn?

euan
27th October 2005, 08:56 PM
<whispers louder> Meguires NXT tech wax...

It's seriously good. Goes on a treat.

T6 KFR
27th October 2005, 11:30 PM
Think i may try that on my white alloys too then.

Although I looked today at them and thought someone had sprayed them black:disapprove:

T8SLD
28th October 2005, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Think i may try that on my white alloys too then.

Although I looked today at them and thought someone had sprayed them black:disapprove:

Dont worry Kev - my alloys are looking black also :disapprove: and in some serious need of TLC - am actually embarrased of them at the moment! Am praying it doesnt rain tomorrow!

monkimagic
13th January 2006, 02:57 AM
Apparently wheel cleaners will slowly strip the finish off you alloys, best to stick to fairy for cleaning them and wax them when dry.

T8SLD
13th January 2006, 02:59 AM
Thanks for tip - least fairy will be much cheaper! :D

weefossy
13th January 2006, 05:55 AM
I always thought our white s spokes were easier to clean than the silver ones. I use Fairy (despite salt content)and Cif. Then on with the wax. Never had any problems.............see's Wul shake head in horror;)

Wul
13th January 2006, 04:38 PM
no no - you guys go with what you will 8) Don't let me tell you what fairy liquid will eventually do to the grease in your CV joint and wheel bearings!!:eek:

T8SLD
13th January 2006, 05:32 PM
ha ha - ok, so no fairy for me then! Good job i'm not cleaning my car that often at the moment or i would be very confused :p :D

Think i will have to go back to the beginning of this thread to get back on track :p

T6 KFR
13th January 2006, 09:47 PM
I personally dont think car shampoo is enough to clean my white wheels. I tend to sponge them down, which still leaves yellow marks so I then apply some wonder wheels and the are gleaming again.

Still only did that for 6 months now, time will tell i suppose...always an excuse to get new alloys

euan
15th January 2006, 07:13 PM
I suspect, and I may be wrong, but so long as you don't leave the stuff on the wheels too long, and give them a very good rinse, you'll be fine with a bit of wonder wheels.

It may also be an idea not to use it every time, get them spanking with wonder wheels, apply a bit of wax to them and they shouldn't be so bad when you next come to do them.

Melly
16th January 2006, 05:36 AM
My white alloys are a pain in the butt! THe get filthy by the the time ive had the car out for one day after cleaning, & im slighty lost as to which is best to clean them with everyines saying diff stuff,....so whats best?

T8SLD
16th January 2006, 10:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Melly

My white alloys are a pain in the butt! THe get filthy by the the time ive had the car out for one day after cleaning, & im slighty lost as to which is best to clean them with everyines saying diff stuff,....so whats best?

To be honest during winter all i have been doing is washing them to keep the worst of the grime off and putting on a bit of wax. I know it's lazy but cant be bothered with products etc at the mo as they get dirty as soon as i hit the road again. I will spruce them up properly in the spring when the weather is better.