PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Cooper S

Mini Me
26th October 2005, 11:56 PM
After discussions with MINI today, i can confirm that there will be a bulletin released to me tomorrow with brief details regarding the very "limited edition"
:D:D:D

If anyone genuinly has interest on this car this car ,please contact myself or Clare as soon as possible ,because as you will appreciate as soon as details are released ,they WILL sell out :eek::evil::D

I will keep you all up to date......;)

Scottie
27th October 2005, 03:05 AM
Iain I got your e-mail but was busy today got a meeting with site managers tomorrow so don't know when I will be in the office next.

Anyway I am a definate YES YES YES.

Gismo
27th October 2005, 03:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

:eek: what you gonna do with you're brand new ones :p

Scottie
27th October 2005, 03:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

:eek: what you gonna do with you're brand new ones :p

well they will be a year old when the limited comes out ;)

markyc
27th October 2005, 04:46 AM

Iain I got your e-mail but was busy today got a meeting with site managers tomorrow so don't know when I will be in the office next.

Get yersel' in rer Fiona :p i'm sure oor Iain will be 'very understanding' when it comes to the price :eek::eek::D

Can't wait to see pics of it, wonder if we'll get a sneaky peek when we're down in Oxford :question::question::eek:

Craig
27th October 2005, 04:51 AM
are you no placing an order marky boy ? ? :cool:

aye aye, rub it in about oxford one mare time and ye'll get a hoofing like mark gave that ned that tried to mug him :eek::blackeye:;):approve:

MartinSullivan
27th October 2005, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by markyc
Can't wait to see pics of it, wonder if we'll get a sneaky peek when we're down in Oxford :question::question::eek:

I doubt it very much - because it isnt being built at Oxford ;)

Mini Me
27th October 2005, 05:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I should be getting a wee peek 9th november in london ;)

markyc
27th October 2005, 07:01 AM

INTERESTING :approve:;)

euan
27th October 2005, 04:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I should be getting a wee peek 9th november in london ;)

Erm, where in London???? (if it's here, I'll get the digi cam out!)

Mini Me
28th October 2005, 02:10 AM
2 Per Dealer.......2000 units world wide:p

euan
28th October 2005, 02:25 AM

Now that is a limited edition!

Scottie
28th October 2005, 02:29 AM

when will there be pictures????

euan
28th October 2005, 02:44 AM
Not real pictures, but apparently by MINI Germany:
article:
http://www.mini2.com/index.php?page=newsitem&newsid=323

http://www.mini2.com/images/news/gp2/P0022918.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/images/news/gp2/P0022917.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/images/news/gp2/P0022926.jpg

euan
28th October 2005, 02:50 AM
Stories abound on the net, but if the figures on that site are to be believed, 218BHP and 40KG lighter. Oh, and speculation of 22K list price.

Scottie
28th October 2005, 07:08 AM

I have the spec sheet at work....OH MY GOD !!!!!this is SOME mowta !!!!!!:p:p
But there is a press embargo on it so i cannae tell anyone(gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr)

you can tell me;):p:D

Mini Me
28th October 2005, 07:11 AM
phone me the mora:p.......ooooh am excited :p

Mini Me
29th October 2005, 05:40 AM
wot a spec on this mowta..................gees oh, gings and help ma bob:p
i want one:p

Gismo
29th October 2005, 07:54 AM
I was in erm, well, cough JC's today and they have already sold their allocation :eek:

Mini Me
29th October 2005, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I was in erm, well, cough JC's today and they have already sold their allocation :eek:

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::d ead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dea d: 2 demo's ;)

john
30th October 2005, 12:17 AM
So has Aberdeen :):):):cool::D:D:D:D:D

;);):)

MartinSullivan
30th October 2005, 12:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

So has Aberdeen :):):):cool::D:D:D:D:D

:blackeye::dead::disapprove::D

john
30th October 2005, 12:51 AM

when will there be pictures????

I have seen a photo of it;):cool:

Scottie
30th October 2005, 12:53 AM
e'hh well Menzies has already sold one:D:D;)

here are pictures from the launch in Italy

Supberb looking car IMO.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81067&page=38

sleepyrascal
30th October 2005, 12:59 AM
It is nice to look at, but I agree with the general feeling that it looks a bit after market mod stylee! I really dont like those wheels either.

But overall, it looks awsome, and I bet it can shift!!!

Scottie
30th October 2005, 01:07 AM
yeah I was going to post up on mini2 that I liked it but decided best not to;)

I think it will look awesome in the flesh IMO but could be wrong.

Not sure about no rear wiper though?????

Also I reckon they will make a few changes yet before it is signed off for production.

Anybody knpw what the GP stands for???

duncan
30th October 2005, 01:09 AM
Grand Price? ;)

Scottie
30th October 2005, 01:26 AM
Oh dear they don't like it on mini2:(:( maybe I'll be the only one to own one:D:I:I

sleepyrascal
30th October 2005, 01:47 AM
Scottie, the car is awsome! I think people over on MINI2 are always going to be weary of a pre modified car. Onoce you put YOUR own little touches to it, the car will be BRILLIANT!!

Scottie
30th October 2005, 01:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Scottie, the car is awsome! I think people over on MINI2 are always going to be weary of a pre modified car. Onoce you put YOUR own little touches to it, the car will be BRILLIANT!!

There will be a few bits requiring colour coding:D:cool:

euan
30th October 2005, 03:08 AM
I think it looks awesome, I LOVE the alloys, and the "infill" bits in the front and rear bumpers (they actually remind me a bit of a saab concept car they did a few years ago).

It's pretty low, that's a big front spoiler!

Does it have a LSD?

The Dogfather
30th October 2005, 03:20 AM
I like certain bits but not sure about others. The lack of a rear wiper will be a real pain unless that spoiler manages to reduce the crap flung up onto the rear of the car.

john
30th October 2005, 08:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I think it looks awesome, I LOVE the alloys, and the "infill" bits in the front and rear bumpers (they actually remind me a bit of a saab concept car they did a few years ago).

Does it have a LSD?

Yes the LSD is standard,;)

john
30th October 2005, 08:41 AM

Oh dear they don't like it on mini2:(:( maybe I'll be the only one to own one:D:I:I

me too Fiona;):)

Smitty
30th October 2005, 07:31 PM
think it look amazing, love the front bumper, and the huge rear spoiler!

but not sure on the rims, and as for the red mirrors......why??

Scottie
31st October 2005, 03:49 AM

quote:Originally posted by euan

Does it have a LSD?

Yes the LSD is standard,;)

are you sure ??? :p;)

john
31st October 2005, 05:11 AM

I have read the spec sheet and it has 220BHP,LSD,air con,radio/cd,JCW brakes etc etc:)

Scottie
31st October 2005, 06:16 AM

I have read the spec sheet and it has 220BHP,LSD,air con,radio/cd,JCW brakes etc etc:)

:cool: I was thinking it didn't have it glad it has though :D

it the spec sheet I saw after the 29th;);) has no mention of LSD only DSC see below

Exclusive features

Anthracite-Blue Metalic Paint (to be named)
Contrast Roof, bonnet scoop and front apron in pure silver
Contrast Mirror Caps in chilli red
Individually numbered
No rear seats
unique 18" light alloy wheels

Standard equipment

Additional remote key
brillant silver interior trim
darkened rear glass
dynamic stability control
floor mats in velour
front passenger airbag deactivation
height adjustment for passenger seat
john cooper works kit approx 218bhp/160kw
john cooper works sports brakes
john cooper works sports suspension
interior lights package
manual air conditioning
multi function steering wheel including cruise control
on board computer
radio boost
recaro sports seats
single cd player
seat heating for driver and front passenger
sports leather steering wheel
white direction indicator lights.

The Dogfather
31st October 2005, 06:30 AM
So apart from taking the rear seats out how is this car lightweight?

Scottie
31st October 2005, 06:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

don't forget the rear wiper;):p:)

Smitty
31st October 2005, 07:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

im guessing the rims will be lightweight racing stlye wheels...perhaps:p

JohnO
31st October 2005, 07:59 AM
Well its not what I expected but I have to say its still gonna make you feel REAL special taking it out the showroom :)
Enjoy

Big Col
31st October 2005, 05:26 PM
I kinda like it.

Crombers
31st October 2005, 06:38 PM
I think it's stunning :approve:

Fiona , you've gotta have one surely

euan
31st October 2005, 08:00 PM
Why does a sports lightweight have heated seats?

GAJ
31st October 2005, 08:10 PM
Not what I expected but a pretty special MINI none the less and I don't suppose there will be any problem shifting them.;)
I was expecting something more along the lines of the 997 GT3; what happened to the rumoured carbon fibre body panels and perspex windows?

The Dogfather
31st October 2005, 08:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I was expecting something more along the lines of the 997 GT3; what happened to the rumoured carbon fibre body panels and perspex windows?

I can see an potential market for turning the GP into the car it should have been, CF bonnet and perspex windows. Oh and refitting the rear wiper cause its a bloody silly ommision.......

Gismo
31st October 2005, 08:52 PM
This slim version will see the end of the current model surely :question: the new shape will come out after this, it's all part of BMW's marketing strategy

DerekM
31st October 2005, 09:21 PM
Firstly, it seems that this car is the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. A 2-seater stripped out mini with a higher BHP/tonne, but achieved via more power rather than through less weight. Looks wise it seems like someone has covered a mini in glue and driven it though the Ripspeed section of Halfords to see what would stick to it.

I'd also imagine the depreciation will be heavy too. I don't envisage too many second hand buyers wanting a lardy mini with just 2 seats - Renault has dropped their V6 as nobody wants a 2-seater small hatch (despite it being a fantastic car).

It's too heavy/civilised to be a track car (heated seats??) and too compromised to be a run around (lack of rear seats), and likely to be too thirsty with that engine spec to be a motroway car. So, after all the launch cars have been sold to those who've got to have it, where is the 2nd hand market coming from?

Finally, at the price, it makes the new R32 look like great value.

Just my 2p.

D

KINGHORN
31st October 2005, 11:11 PM
i am loving a few bits on it,

wouldnt buy it tho

bpirie1000
31st October 2005, 11:43 PM
so will this Put an 'M' in Mini........

Famous For the 'M' Range will BMW actually Play with the Mini... Motorsport Mini.....

Answer: DO IT BMW ..... You know you want to...........

The Dogfather
1st November 2005, 12:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

so will this Put an 'M' in Mini........

Famous For the 'M' Range will BMW actually Play with the Mini... Motorsport Mini.....

Answer: DO IT BMW ..... You know you want to...........

Don't do it BMW! ;)

That's what the Works is meant to be, a heavily tuned version of the standard S. This would be the CSL version if only they'd used a bit more imagination!!!!!

euan
1st November 2005, 05:23 PM
It does seem a bit of a compromise from BMW, however if they had done too much more to it they would have ended up slapping a HUGE price on it that nobody would have bought.

I think Bonnie is right, it's a last glorious car before the new model comes out and visually it's not what you'd expect from mini. So I say fair play to them. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I bet it drives well (not that I'll ever get the chance to drive one with only 2000 cars!). Sometimes, less is more, even just slight differences can add up to something special.

SC, hope you get it and love it. I'd certainly consider it for the garage if I could.

jamesp
1st November 2005, 09:01 PM
Your right - About it making the R32 seem good value, hence why i have ordered the r32 !

The lightweight model does look great fun, but i am sure that with a few options added this model will be pretty expensive to run over a three or four year period.

quote:Originally posted by Topless

Firstly, it seems that this car is the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. A 2-seater stripped out mini with a higher BHP/tonne, but achieved via more power rather than through less weight. Looks wise it seems like someone has covered a mini in glue and driven it though the Ripspeed section of Halfords to see what would stick to it.

I'd also imagine the depreciation will be heavy too. I don't envisage too many second hand buyers wanting a lardy mini with just 2 seats - Renault has dropped their V6 as nobody wants a 2-seater small hatch (despite it being a fantastic car).

It's too heavy/civilised to be a track car (heated seats??) and too compromised to be a run around (lack of rear seats), and likely to be too thirsty with that engine spec to be a motroway car. So, after all the launch cars have been sold to those who've got to have it, where is the 2nd hand market coming from?

Finally, at the price, it makes the new R32 look like great value.

Just my 2p.

D

euan
3rd November 2005, 05:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Topless

Just a thought - would Renault not drop the V6 as the new model Clio is now out?

lightbody
4th November 2005, 09:55 PM
Its horrendous. I'm horribly disappointed - I was really looking forward to this car and was hoping for a proper stripped out racey MINI that wasn't quite as porkey as they normally are!

I hate everything they've done to the outside with the possible exception of the wheels... and removing the rear wiper is just stupid - you'd need it even if you were racing it!

And they've gone to Bertone in Italy to do it - why? THe car is getting less and less British every day.

Think i'll go and wash my nice subtle, tasteful "Dennis" !

Monsta Mo Mini
5th November 2005, 12:37 AM
It's in Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/61561/wild_new_mini_gp_is_go_go_go.html

Yuck!

lightbody
5th November 2005, 02:50 AM
Its in Sniff Petrol:-

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/index.html

No sooner has BMW released details of the long rumoured 'hardcore' Mini Cooper S Works GP than one enterprising independent tuning firm has announced its own bargain priced equivalent. The Cooper S HIT is the brainchild of popular tuning firm MiniTweak of Watford and the company claims it will be more than a match for the lightened, more powerful factory effort. "Our first job was to extract more power from the engine," says MiniTweak boss Flimsby Conbdthwike. "So, to offer a bhp increase in line with what BMW have achieved what we've done is to retain the existing supercharger but to mount it in series with a small child's windmill, such as one might buy at a garden centre". Although MiniTweak claim that this modification is unique to their tuning package, a quick look at the official Works GP power increase suggests BMW may have done something very similar. However, the GP isn't just about barely more power; it's also about weight reduction, and Conbdthwike is confident that here too his company can match the factory's efforts with their lightening programme. "To achieve the kind of weight loss that BMW has managed with the Works GP takes almost some doing," he confesses. "But I think we've managed it. First of all, we take out the back seat and throw it away. Then we go to the pub. It was a lot of effort, but we think it was worth it.". However, Conbdthwike admits that producing a well-matched rival in terms of power gain and weight loss was relatively easy compared to the massive hurdle of equalling the Works GP in the key area of horribleness. "This is the aspect of the Works GP that really shows the advantage of having the backing of a massive company like BMW, but I think we've come up with a genuinely disgusting rival. By getting my five year old son to design the bodykit I think we've arrived at a design that is at least as cack handed and childish as the GP's and we're especially pleased with the wheels which everyone I've shown the car to has described as '****ing disgusting' and asked 'weren't the 1980s over 15 years ago'!" To complete the package, MiniTweak will offer their GP rival only in a miserable flat grey with some utterly repulsive door mirrors in a colour that doesn't match. "It has been tricky trying to compete with a huge, well funded factory operation when we're essentially a bunch of inept amateurs," admits Conbdthwike. "So actually we're rather flattered that with the Works GP BMW has made a factory approved model that looks like it was built by inept amateurs too!"