PDA

View Full Version : Windows

euan
21st October 2005, 04:27 AM
We talk a lot in here about bodywork, but windows never get a look in. What does everybody do to make sure the windows sparkle?

Part of the reason I ask is that I've just driven back from Manchester and the evening (evil!) sun showed up all sorts of marks on them I never new were there.

3GGG
21st October 2005, 06:49 AM
I use Rain X on the windscreen which is fabulous in wet weather, no wipers needed above 40mph, but make sure you buff it up well with a paper towel.

Keeping the side windows grease free is a problem also on MINIs, not to mention the stupid scooshers that put more water on the side of the car than the front, a slight redesign to channel the water away would be appreciated.

Julz
21st October 2005, 04:11 PM
Mr Muscle window cleaner applied with Bounty kitchen roll!!;):D (then finished off with a coat of Rain-X!:cool:)

euan
21st October 2005, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Mr Muscle window cleaner applied with Bounty kitchen roll!!;):D (then finished off with a coat of Rain-X!:cool:)

I have Rain-X in the shed, but I've not put it on the new car as the last time I used it I ended up with streaky patches all over the windows, although I was informed that Fairy would strip it, and then reapply it. If it ever stops raining this weekend I'll put some back on again!

one question though - do you have to wear a string vest and geeky glasses when using Mr Muscle? :cool:

N12 JLK
22nd October 2005, 06:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

We talk a lot in here about bodywork, but windows never get a look in. What does everybody do to make sure the windows sparkle?

Part of the reason I ask is that I've just driven back from Manchester and the evening (evil!) sun showed up all sorts of marks on them I never new were there.

i use rainwater!:cool:, everything else gets a good clean always forget about the windows!:cool:

Scottie
8th November 2005, 06:27 PM
windscreen on my motors annoy me.

Fine when not raining look great.

However when raining and I use the wipers you can see all the small blotchy marks.

Not a fan of rainx.

So was wondering if I use Meths to clean the window will this lift off all the grease and crime.

euan
9th November 2005, 02:11 AM
I seem to remember this was mentioned ages ago. Meths will get all the rubbish off but you run the risk of damaging the rubber on the blades.

sleepyrascal
9th November 2005, 02:35 AM
What if you have had your windows tinted? What product is good for cleaning the film?

The Dogfather
9th November 2005, 04:14 AM
I drink use meths all the time, works a treat gets rid of the grease build up.:D

Wul
9th November 2005, 04:27 AM
Be careful with the meths folks - it'll not be so friendly to your paint work - however the ever helpful AA or RAC adverts on just now recommend common garden vinegar! :)

Scottie
9th November 2005, 04:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Be careful with the meths folks - it'll not be so friendly to your paint work - however the ever helpful AA or RAC adverts on just now recommend common garden vinegar! :)

tried vinger and newspaper but when the wiper sweeps the screen "blotches"
but it's clear between sweeps. if you know what I mean.

john
9th November 2005, 09:08 AM
Wallace and Grommit use a magic sponge i think:)

and there moto is 'Windows is our speciality':D

Wul
9th November 2005, 05:03 PM
PMSL at Johns post!:D

More Cheese Gromit!:p

Wul
9th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Scottie - which car is this happening on?

Scottie
10th November 2005, 04:53 AM

Scottie - which car is this happening on?

The Touareg and the BMW 1:( These car's are used every day

Wul
10th November 2005, 06:47 PM
Just wondered if it was associated with your work or environment - ie it's not normal road grime? Another option would be to try neat fairy liquid on a white 3M scotbrite pad - ie the back of a bath cleaning spnge - go easy but if that doesn't do it then it's must be some other gunk stuck to it! 8)

euan
10th November 2005, 06:57 PM
Interesting - I get the same on my 3 series. Noticed it last night on the drive back from Manchester. The car has never had rain-x on it (well, I've never put it on). It may just be some Megs residual. If it's dry this weekend I'll give it a good wash and see what happens.

Scottie
22nd November 2005, 12:37 AM

Just wondered if it was associated with your work or environment - ie it's not normal road grime? Another option would be to try neat fairy liquid on a white 3M scotbrite pad - ie the back of a bath cleaning spnge - go easy but if that doesn't do it then it's must be some other gunk stuck to it! 8)

Wul

This weekend I used the fairy liquid on a normal sponge pad

WOW it worked my widscreen
is blotch free.:D:D

Could not stop using window washer all my way into work this morning so I could see just what a great job the fairy made.

Cheers
Fiona.

Burple
22nd November 2005, 12:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

What if you have had your windows tinted? What product is good for cleaning the film?

I got a voucher for a freebie of window cleaner from Tinthaus when they did mine.. It worked quite well when it arrived 6 months later!!!:eek::eek:
Just smelled and tasted looked like ordinary window cleaner to me! Worked quite well too, nothing amazing though.

In other news, a good cleaning with a neat Fairy some undiluted Fairy, then lashings of custard RainX works wonders!
As mentioned... do exactly what it says on the tin bottle of RainX, and sprinkle some water on, then buff like you've never been buftied err.. buffed before!

:D:D:D:D

Wul
22nd November 2005, 01:17 AM
Bored at work today Ewan? :p;)

Glad your window is blotch free now Fi! :)

Burple
22nd November 2005, 01:37 AM

Bored at work today Ewan? :p;)

Glad your window is blotch free now Fi! :)

Lol :D Moi??

Trying my best to stay awake in here today. there's been something up with the heating in the building for a while. It's flippin' tropical!

Gives me something else to do while I'm waiting for that Broon to call me back!! :p;):D