PDA

View Full Version : Local antenna trends....

johnlewis99
30th September 2003, 01:40 PM
How many owners in the group has kept the regular MINI long antenna, as opposed to replacing them with a short one such as an S2000 or similar?
and why do you like (either one)?

Willie M
30th September 2003, 03:55 PM
I changed the standard (long) antenna for Avonbars' shorter Bee Sting model. Haven't noticed any deterioration in reception whatsoever.

It's a personal opinion but I thought the factroy fit antenna looked just a little bit big on the car.

Gismo
30th September 2003, 04:01 PM
So far i've stuck with the original, well, i've got to keep something, i just can't afford to replace it ;)

Bonnie Scotland

Big Gordy
30th September 2003, 04:41 PM
I changed mine because the garage door kept twanging it everytime I shut it :D

john
30th September 2003, 04:54 PM
I have kept my shark fin cos I like it:D

GAJ
1st October 2003, 12:30 AM
I had a wee TT style aerial fitted which looked ace but the reception did suffer so now I am bank to the standard twirly pole!

Big Col
1st October 2003, 12:49 AM
Once you've had a twirly pole it's hard not to go back...

Wul
1st October 2003, 02:07 AM
I got the halfords three size version - stumpy / not so stumpy / big wanger

Got it on not so stumpy setting and it looks pretty good and reception has been fine.

Liked the twirly aerial but it did make the car look a wee bit like a RC Toy!

weefossy
1st October 2003, 02:15 AM
Big is beautiful and on special occassions, I like to hang a flag on it;):evil:

Willie M
1st October 2003, 03:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

Big is beautiful and on special occassions, I like to hang a flag on it;):evil:
:eek: Ooof Ye :I You'll be making Wul feel inferior, with his 'not so stumpy' :eek:

Wul
1st October 2003, 04:34 PM
You know what they say....short and thick does the trick:D

.....long and thin just won't go in!:eek:

Duncan Stewart
1st October 2003, 04:48 PM
I've kept the original as I don't think it is too long, however I think it would look better if it was swept back like most roof aerials rather than sticking straight up in the air. Anyone know if any aftermarket aerial is available that would do this?

GAJ
3rd October 2003, 03:47 AM
The aerials pre-Cooper S were swept back but they found that the S's big spoiler banged into them! To cure the problem they changed all the aerials to "straight ups". I don't think any screw in aftermarket aerial can be swept back - it is really the base that would need changed for one with the threads at an angle. I agree that the angled ones look better. I might steal Fontal's!;)

duncan
3rd October 2003, 05:42 AM
Many years ago, i had an SR Nova - yes, i know, but it was before the neds turned them into sound system bangers - i got the bee-sting ariel fitted.

The best base i found was from a VW Golf GTi - it had just the perfect angle for that car. Maybe suit a MINI too.