PDA

View Full Version : Free online album archive - streaming music

Wul
12th October 2005, 10:06 PM
http://xsao.net/AA.html

pick the album you wan't and pull down the track you want to hear!

Most play on WMP but some are real player:clown:

GAJ
13th October 2005, 06:00 PM
Pretty cool!

Burple
13th October 2005, 07:55 PM
Connection Refused!

Damn... I'll try at home tonight.. :p:D

duncan
13th October 2005, 08:07 PM
Got me confused to start with, but if you paste the url into Windows Media Player it opens :)

Wul
13th October 2005, 09:02 PM
duncan - swtich you pop-up blocker off as Windaes was refusing to let it activate WMP initially. :)

duncan
13th October 2005, 09:03 PM
Cheers Wul!

Hmm, still not opening up automatically. Must be some other security setting.

Still, no great hardship.

euan
14th October 2005, 12:02 AM
Couldn't get it to work in Firefox, only in IE.

Burple
14th October 2005, 12:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Aaaaaaahhh.....
That's hat the problem will be...
I'll go dig out an old dusty copy of IE an see if that helps. :D

Heh.. Using IE is like dusting off your old vinyl albums to se what they sound like now.. ;);):D:D:p

euan
14th October 2005, 02:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Aaaaaaahhh.....
That's hat the problem will be...
I'll go dig out an old dusty copy of IE an see if that helps. :D

Heh.. Using IE is like dusting off your old vinyl albums to se what they sound like now.. ;);):D:D:p

Bloody awful, usually ;)

The Dogfather
14th October 2005, 02:20 AM
I managed to get it to work using Firefox!

duncan
14th October 2005, 02:57 AM
Came up with a 404 at first using Firefox, but worked on the second attempt. :cool:

GAJ
14th October 2005, 06:36 PM
That's breaking the law young lady! Probably best not discuss this on a public forum like this one.:eek:

I've always found limewire fine.;)

Clare1
14th October 2005, 10:37 PM
Lol!!! Me. breaking the law?!!

Burple
14th October 2005, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

That's breaking the law young lady! Probably best not discuss this on a public forum like this one.:eek:

Just what I was about to say... :D
An discussing it on a public forum!! tut tut... :p

I have heard tell that some people out there use BitTorrent, with sites like Torrentreactor.. and others use the Shareaza program with some success... ;)

Allegedly... ;):cool:

Clare1
14th October 2005, 11:26 PM
Oh aye, Allegedy LnL!!! haha.

Are these any good???

Burple
15th October 2005, 12:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

Oh aye, Allegedy LnL!!! haha.

Are these any good???

cof.. I couldn't possibly say, but I've heard they're not bad... ;)

But to use any Bit Torrent site you allegedly have to download and install the BitTorrent software - which apparently you can find if you Google it ;) then download the torrent files you want then run them (double click) to download stuff.... alegedly.. ;):p
It's a shame that Blubster doesn't appear to work any more (I've been told:p) cos that was (allegedly) pretty damn good for music! :p

Clare1
15th October 2005, 01:45 AM
LnL you allegedly know quite alot about the subject.... lol

What would 'one' recommend?!

duncan
15th October 2005, 03:24 AM
I've heard from a friend, of a friend, of a guy that was in a pub, that chips and cheese is allegedly really good.

Gismo
15th October 2005, 05:14 PM
All these sites are very good ;) allegedly :evil: they even sometimes allow strangers into your computer who steal vital information and mees with your files thus rendering your computer inoperable ;)
But hey, that's why us PC repair shops make so much money :p

duncan
15th October 2005, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

All these sites are very good ;) allegedly :evil: they even sometimes allow strangers into your computer who steal vital information and mees with your files thus rendering your computer inoperable ;)

Absolutely, you've always got to be careful on the web, be it e-mail, or web-browsing, or file sharing.

If you don't have anti spyware software, download both Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/#free), and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html), plus keep your AntiVirus software upto date, and make sure your Firewall is on.

euan
16th October 2005, 02:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Absolutely, you've always got to be careful on the web, be it e-mail, or web-browsing, or file sharing.

If you don't have anti spyware software, download both Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/#free), and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html), plus keep your AntiVirus software upto date, and make sure your Firewall is on.

Firewall on AND configured! And while we are at it, anyone with a home networks with wireless - please, change the passkey from the default at the very least, as they are VERY easy to hack into otherwise.

duncan
16th October 2005, 03:40 AM
Indeed.

Someone near my sisters old house had a wireless network, which had no security key. Unreal.
There's a bit in todays Daily Ranger Record about Pringles tubes being very handy for finding wireless networks :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2005, 05:26 AM
Or, of course, you could ALL just stay well clear of these illegal download sites.:eek: Especially the MOVIE download sites.:mad: The proliferation of which and the use of by (normally law-abiding) ordinary people literally damages the industry I work in.:mad: Our current estimates are that illegal downloading of movies loses us around 10 - 15% of potential cinema admissions per year. In real terms that's nearly a hundred grand in lost turnover. And I'm specifically talking of MY 4 screen cinema, not a major city centre 12 screener.

Downloading movies is theft.:disapprove: Theft is illegal.:disapprove: Please don't do it.:)

Rant over. I'll go back to being a nice guy now.:D

Gismo
16th October 2005, 05:05 PM
The best firewall and security system in the world, even when turned on, is useless, when the file share is turned on :evil: which is what you have to do to "share" files
As for downloading movies, i've never done it and never will :approve:

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2005, 05:49 PM

Thank you Alan. You have no idea how pleased I am to hear that.:D:D

Mini Me
16th October 2005, 05:55 PM
I widny know how to[v]

duncan
16th October 2005, 07:57 PM

The best firewall and security system in the world, even when turned on, is useless, when the file share is turned on :evil: which is what you have to do to "share" files

A rouge website thats been set up can do the same thing though.

No, me neither, the MPAA have cracked down majorly on downloaders, and the penalties quite severe.

Clare1
16th October 2005, 08:23 PM
Iain, you dont know much do ya!!! ;):p

Mini Me
18th October 2005, 05:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

Iain, you dont know much do ya!!! ;):p

I just buy them fae you :evil::eek::blackeye:

Wul
18th October 2005, 04:59 PM
Hey Duncan - is a "rouge" website one with red cheeks? :p;)

GAJ
18th October 2005, 05:55 PM
Bittorret is currently the number 1 priority for the MPAA and many of the more well known hubs have already been closed down. Most of the applications that use the Gnutella network are pretty secure if you have a proper firewall in place as you are not opening up access to your computer, only to one port (6346). This shouldn't cause any problems. Some dodgy applications have been known to install other software though so beware. . .

And remember, downloading music is theft just like downloading movies. One isn't any more wrong than the other! A thief is a thief is a thief!

euan
18th October 2005, 06:14 PM
I'll be honest, I've never downloaded movies, or music from the net. I don't see the point. Call me old fashioned, but I like having the box in my hand, reading the (albeit now very small amount of text) in the CD box. That's why I don't buy stuff from iTunes, I just like having something physical to show for my money.

Yes, the internet is a bad place with a lot of bad people trying to rip you off. However, most of the issues on it are caused by people not taking precautions (firewall etc) or looking at malicious websites. I always have taken the line of trust no one, and it's worked for me. A website wants to talk to my PC when I don't initiate it? I go somewhere else. Common sense.

At the end of the day, it's peoples choice what they do on the internet. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's legal or right. I wouldn't steal a CD from a shop, so what makes it any better to do it on the net?

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2005, 06:24 PM
And remember, downloading music is theft just like downloading movies. One isn't any more wrong than the other! A thief is a thief is a thief!

Absolutley.:mad:

Bittorret is currently the number 1 priority for the MPAA and many of the more well known hubs have already been closed down. Most of the applications that use the Gnutella network are pretty secure if you have a proper firewall in place as you are not opening up access to your computer, only to one port (6346). This shouldn't cause any problems. Some dodgy applications have been known to install other software though so beware. . .

And yet we're still discussing the ins-and-outs of file sharing:eek::mad::eek:

To be honest I had thought that by now the most sensible action for a moderator to take would be to remove this thread entirely. Especially when you consider some members here are incriminating themselves.:eek:

AndyP

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2005, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't steal a CD from a shop, so what makes it any better to do it on the net?

Excellent analogy euan.:D:D

I signed up for iTunes and downloaded about 3 tracks. Its a great idea for those who do want to download music tracks legally, but like you I'd rather have the CD in my hand.

Think about it, in 20 years we can pop our CD's out of our boxes, raise them to our nose and absorb the lovely musky dusty aroma from the plastic coated laser etched silver. :D:D

GAJ
18th October 2005, 06:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
And yet we're still discussing the ins-and-outs of file sharing:eek::mad::eek:
To be honest I had thought that by now the most sensible action for a moderator to take would be to remove this thread entirely. Especially when you consider some members here are incriminating themselves.:eek:
AndyP

Lots of people use file sharing sites to share files that they are legally entitled to share. This article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1593688,00.html) sheds some light on how internet file sharing is not always the bogeyman that some make out. I don't see the need to entirely remove this thread, I pointed out the illegality of sharing copyrighted files several days ago. I am not at all sure that anyone has incriminated themselves in this thread.

Burple
18th October 2005, 06:52 PM
If the public stop using peer to peer sharing to downliad movies and music...

..will the cinemas take off their Dick Turpin masks and lower the price of their snacks??

Lol... I keed.. I keed..

But seriously... £1 FOR A CAN OF COKE??????????? £3 FOR A HOTDOG????? (a teenie wee bun, and a..well..'meat' product. the cost must be about 40p max - including grinding up the lips, hoofs and faces)

:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

euan
18th October 2005, 06:58 PM
GAJ, As you point out, the difference is that that article lists the "legal" sites, and Arctic Monkeys gave their blessing for the music to be used in that way. Andy's point, I think, is that there has been a lot of chat about illegal download sites and how to get them to work (which, to be fair, is all over the net anyway).

Arctic Monkeys. Stupid name, clever marketing tactics. I mean, how on earth can they be huge with a name like that ;)

euan
18th October 2005, 07:07 PM

If the public stop using peer to peer sharing to downliad movies and music...

..will the cinemas take off their Dick Turpin masks and lower the price of their snacks??

Lol... I keed.. I keed..

But seriously... £1 FOR A CAN OF COKE??????????? £3 FOR A HOTDOG????? (a teenie wee bun, and a..well..'meat' product. the cost must be about 40p max - including grinding up the lips, hoofs and faces)

Market forces - if they want it, they will come and pay it ;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2005, 07:15 PM

Lol... I keed.. I keed..

Sweets are what keep cinemas going. We pay a percentage of the films gross box office take to the distributor of the film and that can sometimes be as much as 90%:eek:.

So you see sweets sales are what keep cinemas going (especially independants like ours) and obviously people not downloading movies.

Gismo
18th October 2005, 07:20 PM
The vastly over inflated prices of confectionary sold in most cinemas is paramount (pun intended) to theft along the same kind of lines as file sharing
That's why i will continue to take my own sweets with me :approve:

The Dogfather
18th October 2005, 07:22 PM
Market forces - if they want it, they will come and pay it ;)

Market Forces - quite right, which is why I've built a cinema in my spare room, complete with 60" screen from a DLP projector, Dolby Digital surround sound, multi region DVD and of course cheap hot dogs ;)

I would love to go to my local cinema but however it's a multiplex and so its full of neds, hideously expensive and over 36 miles away:mad:. There used to be a cinema in Turriff but I believed it closed :(

GAJ
18th October 2005, 07:22 PM
My point is that the Gnutella network and Bittorrent are not illegal. It is perfectly legal to use these systems to share files as has happened with the Artic Monkeys. I wasn't particularly referring to the list of legal music download sites at the end of the article.

It is illegal to share copyrighted material in any way, on the internet, from a guy in the pub, a boy at work or from a market stall. If people don't think they are getting value for money though it will happen. I don't think that it is coincidence that a few years ago CD's were selling for about £14 and now they are about £9. I take your point about Clare's post though, I had missed that one. You're right she incriminated herself - lock her up!

Big Col
18th October 2005, 07:24 PM
I wasn't having a pop mate. Was just asking you to edit it for her. She's blonde and needs protected from herself. ;)

GAJ
18th October 2005, 07:25 PM

The vastly over inflated prices of confectionary sold in most cinemas is paramount (pun intended) to theft along the same kind of lines as file sharing
That's why i will continue to take my own sweets with me :approve:

I think you mean tantamount!;)

quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I wasn't having a pop mate. Was just asking you to edit it for her. She's blonde and needs protected from herself. ;)

Too late! She's in the clink!;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2005, 07:36 PM
OK. We've made our point about illegal activities damaging our business. I see no point us continuing to contribute to the conversation.

I accept that "most" cinema's do charge fairly inflated proves for confectionery. In our own cinema we try to buck the trend and cater for everyone, we sell everything from a 5p drumstick lolly to the bucket of popcorn at £3.30 Something else to bear in mind is the cost involved in clearing up the mess between each performance. Now, because we sell the stuff I never bitch about having to clear it up at the end. All I ask is that if you buy it, and dump your crap on my floor, don't then bitch to me about what it cost in the first place.

Frankly, it is physically impossible for a cinema to exist without confectionery sales.

I really don't want to fall out with anyone here. We've spent the past 18 months developing friendships and getting to know everyone. However shortly after this thread began, it changed into a discussion on how to break the law in downloading copyright material - which damages my business. Now it's turned into a discussion on how "cinema's rip you off". To avoid getting into a war of words, rights and principles, I'm unsubsribing from this thread.

We've made our point.

A & L

Burple
18th October 2005, 07:48 PM
quote:
I would love to go to my local cinema but however it's a multiplex and so its full of neds, hideously expensive and over 36 miles away:mad:. There used to be a cinema in Turriff but I believed it closed :(

I'd love to go to my local Multi-megaplex as well... except it was closed fairly recently due to Severe Structural Integrity faults. And the building is less than 10 years old! Apparently it's 'fixed' and open again. sure.... lol :D:D

**Removed text... don't want to stir this up!**

Personally I love going to the cinema (Corpse Bride this weekend!) but you can be darn sure I'll be taking my own sweets! ;):D:D:D

**Disclaimer: There is no intention in this thread to upset anyone, just providing the alternative viewpoint to fuel the flames aid the discussion ;)

Burple
18th October 2005, 07:55 PM
Andy P... Hope you don't think I'm gettin at you in any way, that's not the intention at all! I think both our discussions are heading to exactly the same point, just from opposite directions!

I fully appreciate the running costs of the business dictate an awful lot, and it's certainly not going to stop me going to the cinema to enjoy films! :D:D:D
I'd MUCH rather see a good film on a huge screen with some mates, than try to watch a grainy crappy quality copy on my telly at home. It's just not the same!

It's unfortunate the discussion took this turn I think, Clare asked, we answered... Please don't take anything in the thread personally, it's not intended that way :)

Any more news on the Brazilian Job film (if that's what it's being called now)and when it's supposed to be out? I'd certainly be up for making the journey if you guys were to be organising a 'MINI' showing... (and I don't mean a freebie in any way, that's what a nofficial one from BMW would be for ;););):D:D:p)

Big Col
18th October 2005, 08:00 PM

Sh!tebag! :D

Burple
18th October 2005, 08:21 PM

Sh!tebag! :D

Sometimes, I read my posts and think.. hmm... someone's gonna really take this out of context and think I'm Starting... most of the time, I read it and think "fark it, I'm as entitled to my opinion as everyone else, skewed as it may be" :D This was one of the former, cos there's no need to start a barney over this. Same old same old tho, Three sides to every story! :p:D:D

Gismo
18th October 2005, 09:26 PM
Not having a pop at anyone in here either, as my timely smilies show :I
like BDM i have set my house up with a cinema system and a mini one too :p it's good, but, nothing beats the big screen of a cinema and the total surround sound
However, this is the off topic and banter forum and as such anything goes and it usually does :p

Big Col
18th October 2005, 09:44 PM

However, this is the off topic and banter forum and as such anything goes and it usually does :p

Well said stumps. :D

Gismo
18th October 2005, 11:27 PM
Well said stumps. :D
Watch it Mr Nice Guy :p i can see a shin slapping session shortly soon :blackeye:;)

Wul
18th October 2005, 11:29 PM
Sheesh! I find you guys a cracking wee streaming site and all you do is bicker!;)

I'm off to have a hotdog and some minstrels for under a pound!!:p

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2005, 11:31 PM
I may have unsubscribed but I feel strangely brought back to see what’s happening....

On re-reading the thread (to get take the whole conversation in context) the majority appear to take a dim view of illegal downloading. So perhaps I was coming on a little strong in my earlier posts. It doesn't change my view on the subject, just an admission I may have been shouting at the wrong person... At the end of the day there's only one person who has admitted breaking the law.

LnL, I know you weren't getting at me. And I'm acutely aware that it is incredibly difficult to put forward your correct emotions when partaking in an on-line forum like this. With or without the extended use of smiley’s, a posting can be misinterpreted simply by the mood of the person reading it.

Gaj, we'll just agree to disagree. I think this thread is best deleted. You don't. But hey, you're the mod, not me.

AndyP

Big Col
18th October 2005, 11:46 PM
Awwwww come on! This thread was just getting interesting then you all go all friggin reasonable and non-combative. That's just dull! ;)

<ponders> Actually...hey AndyP...what do you do with the old film posters you have? :D

MartinSullivan
18th October 2005, 11:50 PM
<ponders> Actually...hey AndyP...what do you do with the old film posters you have? :D

LOL, everyone loves a tryer ;), but.... if you have any hitchhikers ones left AndyP Ill pay cash for em :D

duncan
18th October 2005, 11:58 PM
Well, I went to see Wallace and Gromit at the Cineworld last night, and it was cracking! (But I bought my Revels in Tescos:eek:)

As for music filesharing - without the likes of Napster Mark 1, we'd never have seen the likes of Napster Mark 2, and all the other similar legal download sites. However, I'd rather pay for a disc, not lots of 1001011011's

Disclaimer:- This post is in no way meant to condone the use of illegal downloads

euan
19th October 2005, 12:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Well, I went to see Wallace and Gromit at the Cineworld last night, and it was cracking! (But I bought my Revels in Tescos:eek:)

As for music filesharing - without the likes of Napster Mark 1, we'd never have seen the likes of Napster Mark 2, and all the other similar legal download sites. However, I'd rather pay for a disc, not lots of 1001011011's

Disclaimer:- This post is in no way meant to condone the use of illegal downloads

technically, that's all it's reading off the disc, a lot of 1's and 0's, so you are still buying the 1's and 0's, just the storage medium is different ;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th October 2005, 12:17 AM

You should see the walls in our house ;):D.

euan
19th October 2005, 12:24 AM
I went to see Batman at the IMAX at it rocked, bit too much action for an IMAX at the start but once your eyes have worked out the scale of the screen it's really good.

I like my surround sound in the house, but the cinema screen and the guarantee that nobody is coming to the door/ring the phone etc makes it worthwhile :) It's an experience, as opposed to watching a film in the house, you still get to enjoy the film, just not the whole package.

And Andy, I think independants are SO much better than the big chains. When I lived in Edinburgh we used to go to the place over towards Morningside/Newington which I've forgotten it's name. And also the Brass Monkeys pub was always a laugh - films in the back room and a bar in the front. They also let you take your beer in to the Kushis Indian next door as they didn't have a license! Brilliant - you don't get that in an Odeon.

Big Col
19th October 2005, 12:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
You should see the walls in our house ;):D.

If you get MS a hitch hikers guide poster you'll probably get to see the ceiling in his. ;):D:p

GAJ
19th October 2005, 12:37 AM
And Andy, I think independants are SO much better than the big chains. When I lived in Edinburgh we used to go to the place over towards Morningside/Newington which I've forgotten it's name.

The Dominion!:D

duncan
19th October 2005, 12:39 AM

And Andy, I think independants are SO much better than the big chains. When I lived in Edinburgh we used to go to the place over towards Morningside/Newington which I've forgotten it's name.

I saw The Rescuers when I was a kid there!:I

Wul
19th October 2005, 12:40 AM
Keep trying Col! ;)

Neil and Lorna
19th October 2005, 12:41 AM
Ok here’s my tuppence worth.

Any talk about illegal downloading of copyrighted material shouldn't be discussed on a public forum.

All posts that suggest ways of doing this should be deleted by the person posting or by moderator.

One thing to ask yourselves is If you found out that somebody was acting illegally and there actions had a direct result in harming your employment what would you do ?

Neil and Lorna

euan
19th October 2005, 12:49 AM

That's the one! Cheers GAJ :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
19th October 2005, 12:53 AM

A cracking example of a family run independent cinema;). We're a dying breed, let me tell ya. Perhaps explains our (mine and Neil's) strongly held opinions.:D

Wul
19th October 2005, 01:10 AM
Ok guys - I've edited Claire post - hows about we all go have a camomile tea and chill winston! :cool:

Clare1
19th October 2005, 11:43 PM
Dont worry ive deleted my post.:eek: Im much like the rest of you, my cd racks are fulled with proper cd's in there boxes and inserts. Nothing beats the colourful colection of my latest tunes in there wee boxes. :p

Downloading is a common fact of life. Sorry if some people have taken to MY VIEWS the wrong way. Im saying no more. Appologies Peeps.

euan
25th October 2005, 08:46 PM
BitTorrent user found guilty of movie piracy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4374222.stm

Neil and Lorna
25th October 2005, 08:58 PM

BitTorrent user found guilty of movie piracy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4374222.stm

I hope they throw the book at him.
Maybe put some others off the idea.

Neil (no smilies req)

Mini Me
25th October 2005, 09:44 PM
bump

Big Col
26th October 2005, 03:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

bump

Silly Boy! :D

http://tinypic.com/f0oiv6.jpg

Scottie
26th October 2005, 06:28 PM
anybody watch the Bill last night:I It covered this very subject.

I don't download music or movies :approve: but sorry Andy I don't go to the pictures much either. I get my DVD's from America. If I'm really lucky I can see a movie on dvd before it's out in the pictures here.:cool: