PDA

View Full Version : It's a slow work day.

Big Col
11th October 2005, 07:27 PM
Does anyone here know why a microwave turntable changes direction every time it's stopped:question:

Like I say...slow work day. :D

sh@z
11th October 2005, 07:58 PM
what... it does?

The Dogfather
11th October 2005, 08:00 PM
So that you'd have something to ask about on a slow work day?

euan
11th October 2005, 08:42 PM
Does it really do this? I sold my microwave and so dont't got one to try it!

Big Col
11th October 2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah it really does this believe me! Almost everyone in this office has witnessed it!

Julz
11th October 2005, 10:00 PM
So that that clockwise and anti-clockwise food are proportinally (sp??) blitzed!! Oh I don't know, to add a bit of variety to a microwaves normally mundane life, to stop your food getting dizzy, to enable use in Australia also..... this could go on!:p

euan
11th October 2005, 10:10 PM
I asked my other half, and our old one did this. I guess I don't pay that much attention!

As for why, well there must be a valid reason as it must be more expensive to put in a bi-directional motor.

The Dogfather
11th October 2005, 10:16 PM
I would hazard a guess at something to do with magnetism, or the prevention of the materials in the Microwave becoming magnetised just a guess though.

euan
11th October 2005, 10:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

This may help, I don't think it says why, but then I lost the will to live before I finished reading it.

Big Col
11th October 2005, 10:49 PM
We've tried that! :(

bpirie1000
11th October 2005, 11:56 PM
no it is because there are two little mice in the Micro wave One goin one way, and one the other. They take turns you see. depends Who's shot it is.. Hope you have a Big Microwave because those Small microwaves are encouraging Slave labour for young Mice... Remember that... thats why Microwaves pack up because one of the Mice get sick. Poor things..

There glad I could clear that situation up NEXT...........!!!!!!!!!

but your Right Rainy and Slow what a day..

Clare1
12th October 2005, 01:45 AM
Slow day....;0)

Poor wee mice....

gill
12th October 2005, 03:24 AM
I didn't realise that - have to pay more attention to mine the next time I use it!!!

You really must be bored at work!!!;)

I Want A Works
16th October 2005, 10:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Does anyone here know why a microwave turntable changes direction every time it's stopped:question:

Like I say...slow work day. :D

Hate to be a smart @r$e but.............

......the motor that turns the turn table is called (if memory serves me) a clock motor. How it works is that every time an AC current is applied to it, it begins to turn in a random direction, either clockwise, or anti-clockwise. This is similar to the motors that you get in the cheap disco lights you buy out of Maplins that have a wee mirror that spins back and fro in time to the music.

Right back to archiving my collection of beer mats.......:p