PDA

View Full Version : My Cooper S just died!

Adam MCS
7th October 2005, 11:04 PM
So imagine this, you're driving your newly coverted 210bhp dastek cooper s along a dual carriageway when all of a sudden there's a bit of a crazy sound and lights I never knew existed were flashing in my face. Good times. No power, No brakes, No power steering, smoke, dodgy noises...what more could you ask? So after a fair bit of me pretending I knew what was wrong, my more mechanically minded friend told me he thinks the supercharger pulley has exploded or something , taking with it the fan belt etc etc. Thankfully towed it back to my house, so Dastek will be getting a slightly heated call in the morning asking them to promptly fix it

Anyone else had similar problems? Am I going to have to sell my kidney if Dastek don't sort it so I can afford to fix it?

c_me_swim
8th October 2005, 12:02 AM
I had a supercharger belt snap on me which lost me brakes, power stearing, the lot but only for a while. Lucky i have the GTT limit stop thing or my car could of ended up like yours. Started the car up and was able to drive it the short run home to change the belt. Could not drive it far as the water pump was not being driven because of the belt snap.

Sorry to here that it has happened to your car and i would think that dastek should fix it at no cost.

N12 JLK
8th October 2005, 03:53 AM
sad to here that:(:( , was your car in with it warranty with BMW, i know that only the works kit carrys a full warranty:sleepy::disapprove:

Scottie
8th October 2005, 04:35 AM
this is awful:(:( so what happens next will it be BMW. I would be gutted:( can't imagine how your feeling

Adam MCS
8th October 2005, 04:55 AM
No I won't be putting it to BMW costhey'll say it was to do with the dastek. Its getting picked up on monday tho by dastek i think and they're going to sort it or there is going to be some shouting! Hopefully it won't take too long to fix!!!

MartinSullivan
8th October 2005, 06:22 AM
Adam, make sure you give em hell - like I desribed to you on text. They have obviously stuffed up in one of the ways I described. Also well worth getting the limit stop I sent you - I am sure Dastek dont change this and the standard item is little more than useless.

If Dastek leave you in the lurch - which I am fairly sure they wont - let me know, we will get it sorted without the need for sale of kidneys, first born children etc ;)

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2005, 07:21 AM
Really sorry to hear about your problems Adam.:eek::mad: Hope Dastek sort it out for you.

We've had the Dastek Stage One conversion on our car since May, we've done about 4,500 miles since install and so far we've had no problems - touch wood (AndyP slaps hand off forehead).:D

We're keen to know how you get on with Dastek, what the fault turns out to be and what Dastek do to fix it.

I'll send you an email with my mobile number, feel free to give me a shout any time.

AndyP

Mini Me
8th October 2005, 06:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Adam MCS

No I won't be putting it to BMW costhey'll say it was to do with the dastek.

Possibly not.......They would have to prove that what ever failed was caused by the dastek upgrade, so i wouldn't rule it out ;):).............

hear's p45 comming far in the distance :eek::blackeye:

MartinSullivan
8th October 2005, 06:23 PM
Adam, Minime is right - but I think in this case, as we discussed yesterday , this is an issue with Dastek. Let me know how you get on

Adam MCS
8th October 2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah I'll keep you all posted, I think Dastek know it's probably their fault otherwise I don't think they would be arranging a recovery when I live 100 miles away from them!! I'll know more next week though.

Big Col
10th October 2005, 04:32 PM
Ouch! Sore one mate. Sorry to hear about it.

bpirie1000
10th October 2005, 05:14 PM
Sorry To hear about that.. Let us know how you get on..

Bus for you to work today??

Julz
10th October 2005, 05:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Possibly not.......They would have to prove that what ever failed was caused by the dastek upgrade, so i wouldn't rule it out ;):).............
:eek::blackeye:

Depends on your dealer!;) If you use a certain dealer in the Dundee area, they will blame anything, including a leaky skoosher bottle, on a non-BMW conversion! Trust me, I have the scars from the organ transplants to prove it!:mad::disapprove:

AndyP & Lenore
12th October 2005, 04:21 AM
Adam

Any news on the car yet:question:

The Dogfather
12th October 2005, 05:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz
Depends on your dealer!;) If you use a certain dealer in the Dundee area, they will blame anything, including a leaky skoosher bottle, on a non-BMW conversion! Trust me, I have the scars from the organ transplants to prove it!:mad::disapprove:

Julz next time they refuse to do work under warranty ask them to put it in writing, I'm not sure but what they have been doing could be taken as anti-competitive. They might cave in if you ask them to put their rejection in writing.

I'm NOT sure on this though!

Big Col
12th October 2005, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't they have to prove that it was the conversion that damaged the skoosher bottle? If they can't then they aint got no leg to stand on...man. :)

The Dogfather
12th October 2005, 05:18 PM
And if they just suddenly started saying they won't honour any warranty claims if you altered your car away from standard, regardless of whether there is a connection to the part that failed, they would be reducing the potential market for non manufacturer tuning parts.

Thus, effectively creating a monopoly for approved tuners such as John Cooper.

For example, my car has been converted to LPG and if the catalyst fails then I wouldn't expect BMW to cover it, however if the power steering fails then I would expect them to pay out!

Get any objection/refusal in writing and challenge it.

Adam MCS
12th October 2005, 07:13 PM
Right, heard from Dastek last night. The belt on the pulley slipped off and snapped so they have ordered another (better) one and should be fitting that today. My car should be ready for collection on Thursday!!! Hopefully I won't have any more trouble...for Dastek's sake!

Julz
12th October 2005, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Julz next time they refuse to do work under warranty ask them to put it in writing, I'm not sure but what they have been doing could be taken as anti-competitive. They might cave in if you ask them to put their rejection in writing.

I went to Mini Customer Services who had requested that the dealers after sales manager contact me, after been asked twice, he's still no done it! Not going back to that dealers anyway, plus I'm basically miniless!! Fife Mitsubishi, what a fab dealer!;):D

The Dogfather
12th October 2005, 08:16 PM
Adam - Has the belt failure caused any other damage?

Julz - Would the dealership in quesion be JCs by any chance? BTW good luck with the EVO, its an amazing car and it looks like the dealers are better than the some of BMW muppets (Menzies excluded Roaster ;)) that we have to put up with.

Julz
12th October 2005, 08:24 PM
BDM, how did you guess? As for the Mitsi dealers, they've been excellent and they've already been on the phone asking what mods I'd like done!!:p:D

Cooper_si
12th October 2005, 08:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

BDM, how did you guess? As for the Mitsi dealers, they've been excellent and they've already been on the phone asking what mods I'd like done!!:p:D

you dont know how jealous i am :I

Adam MCS
14th October 2005, 12:05 AM
I dont think there was any other damage, there was a fair bit of oil spurted out just after it happened but I checked and there was no leak. I hope anyway! I'll soon see if there is any other damage I suppose when I drive it home from Dastek tomorrow!!!

The Dogfather
14th October 2005, 02:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Adam MCS

I dont think there was any other damage, there was a fair bit of oil spurted out just after it happened but I checked and there was no leak. I hope anyway! I'll soon see if there is any other damage I suppose when I drive it home from Dastek tomorrow!!!

I hope everything gets back to normal as soon as possible :)

Adam MCS
14th October 2005, 02:48 AM
Eh, I may have spoke too soon. Dastek phoned and said they had found a leak in the belt tensioner (??) so they've ordered a new part from mini which won't be in till saturday! Its going to be another sad week without my mini! Paul at Dastek thinks the problem may be a mini fault father than theirs. And seeing as I couldn't tell a belt tensioner from a camel, I have no idea? What does everyone think?

Gismo
14th October 2005, 03:40 AM
If it's the idler tensioner then it's a well known fault for Mini's that have had the super charger pulley changed.
BBR replace it with a cosworth item as they said the standard one was next to useless
Now you face the problem of confirming to MINI that their part caused the fault :disapprove:

AndyP & Lenore
14th October 2005, 03:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

If it's the idler tensioner then it's a well known fault for Mini's that have had the super charger pulley changed.
BBR replace it with a cosworth item as they said the standard one was next to useless
Now you face the problem of confirming to MINI that their part caused the fault :disapprove:

It would be nice to think that Dastek will replace these parts for Adam, OEM failure or not, as part of their (presumably live) ongoing research and development of the conversions they offer. BBR's experience tells them to replace this part in the conversion process, I would like to think Dastek will simply put this down to experience and move on - without penalty to the customer.

It's a tricky one though, because I know Dastek's own demo car has had the full conversion (with new front mounted intercooler) and has been driven to the limit regularly since conversion nearly a year ago, with no apparent problems.

MartinSullivan
14th October 2005, 05:58 AM
Its is a common problem as I said when i texted you - if you do a search on Mini2 you should find a post (think it was from Max) saying that it failed after a conversion and BMW had replaced it.

If Dastek dont offer a suitable replacment order one from the site I sent you previously for the limit stop and get Dastek to install it.

Ill be back on Monday - but if you need to talk to me about it I have my mobile with me.

Cooper_si
14th October 2005, 09:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

...BBR replace it with a cosworth item...

Dooooo they now. Gonna have to look into that :eek: As i have the complete listing for Cosworth MINI parts and i dont have a listing for such a part...hmmmmm

Gismo
14th October 2005, 04:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cooper_si
Dooooo they now. Gonna have to look into that :eek: As i have the complete listing for Cosworth MINI parts and i dont have a listing for such a part...hmmmmm
Yep, it's listed on this page (http://www.bbrgti.com/mini.php)

Cooper_si
14th October 2005, 04:48 PM
Thank-you siiiirrrrr :D

Scottie
23rd October 2005, 07:18 AM
Is your fixed yet ???

Adam MCS
24th October 2005, 02:04 AM
Yep, Datek fixed it all free of charge. I got it back on friday. My exhaust has decided to rattle now though which is a bit of a bummer, but it's ok cos checkpoint are going to have a look at it next week. I'm glad to have my car back though, it beats a 1.2 corsa! (no offence if anyone owns one!)