PDA

View Full Version : Boot Opening Button

Smitty
7th October 2005, 04:28 PM
When my dad picked up the mini he got told that in order to use the button on the remote keyring to unlock the boot he would have to register it with BMW. When i pressed the button it unlocked no problem!

whats the deal with this then? was he being told complete lies by the garage?

Gismo
7th October 2005, 05:43 PM
It's an option to programme the key to do that, it could be changed to lower the windows and open the sunroof if it has one :)
The dealer probably didn't know it was programmed :I

Wul
7th October 2005, 05:55 PM
If I were you guys i'd get it switched over to the window opening option - the boot function is useless as the lid is still shut so you need to put whatever you are carrying down to lift the boot lid anyway:clown: Whereas the window open function is a god send on a hot sunny day! :cool:

euan
7th October 2005, 06:04 PM
The window opening also helps you get into the car at times when some idiot has parked a tad too close.

Wul
7th October 2005, 06:06 PM
Surely then it's easier to climb in the boot Euan! :I:clown:

Smitty
7th October 2005, 06:52 PM
can it be set to turn on sidelights? tht could b quite nifty cuz my dads cars got that feature

Wul
7th October 2005, 07:00 PM
Sadly not smitty - the neareset thing is the light delay function - after switching the ignition off and removing the keys....pull the high beam on and the headlights will stay on for 30seconds....doesn't activate from the remote i'm afraid :(

Burple
7th October 2005, 07:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Sadly not smitty - the neareset thing is the light delay function - after switching the ignition off and removing the keys....pull the high beam on and the headlights will stay on for 30seconds....doesn't activate from the remote i'm afraid :(

That's not the way mine worked.. have they changed it? - Is it still called the 'Follow me home' lights?
When you have the lights on (dipped headlight) and you turn the ignition off before turning the lights off, they stay on for something like 30-45 Seconds...
does it work both ways?
:cool:

Smurf
7th October 2005, 08:15 PM
Boot opening function depends on which key you have - the newer ones have 3 buttons - open, lock (the wings), and boot unlock.

Just don't use the boot unlock button and leave your keys in the car - it automatically locks the boot again after a certain amount of time!!!! (And doesn't unlock any other doors.)

euan
11th October 2005, 02:01 AM

Surely then it's easier to climb in the boot Euan! :I:clown:

Not in the coupe I have now :D

euan
11th October 2005, 02:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

That's not the way mine worked.. have they changed it? - Is it still called the 'Follow me home' lights?
When you have the lights on (dipped headlight) and you turn the ignition off before turning the lights off, they stay on for something like 30-45 Seconds...
does it work both ways?
:cool:

I'm not sure about the lights when you pull the stalk - mine worked the same as lnl but you can get it changed at the dealer I think.

I liked the follow me home, quite useful. Quite annoying when you do it accidentally and everyone tells you you've left your lights on!

Cooper_si
11th October 2005, 02:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan: Quite annoying when you do it accidentally and everyone tells you you've left your lights on!

I found that quite funny...because they always wait and see if they ever do turn off. Its like they think MINIs are not posh enough to have that feature :eek::p:D

euan
11th October 2005, 04:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cooper_si

quote:Originally posted by euan: Quite annoying when you do it accidentally and everyone tells you you've left your lights on!

I found that quite funny...because they always wait and see if they ever do turn off. Its like they think MINIs are not posh enough to have that feature :eek::p:D

I have to be honest, I did usually wait till they'd gone off as well :I

Mon the fish
12th October 2005, 01:21 AM
Must admit I was sad to lose that feature noe I've got Xenons, used to love correcting people "No I have not left my lights on infidel! Do you think I am stupid?"

Maybe was a bit hard on people sometimes... :p

Wul
12th October 2005, 03:55 AM
My MINI is an 04 S with the xenons and all i have to do is pull the stalk to activate the follow me home lights (when the key is out the ignition) :D

S7JGW
12th October 2005, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the key reprogramed to lower the windows instead of open the boot.
Jim

duncan
12th October 2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not a fan of the lowering windows options on the remote. There's been a few times that I've come back to my car and the windows have been open a fraction. Thankfully its been in the works car park, which is pretty secure - touches wood.

You can always open the windows by using the key in the drivers door lock, if your that desperate to have that feature.

S7JGW
13th October 2005, 07:07 PM
I can close using the key in the drivers door but not sure if they go down

duncan
13th October 2005, 07:14 PM
Certainly used to be able to lower and raise the windows on my 02 One with the key in the door before the BC1 unit was changed, but not sure if I could do it after it was replaced.

euan
13th October 2005, 07:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by S7JGW

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the key reprogramed to lower the windows instead of open the boot.
Jim

I had mine done at the dealer for free

Burple
13th October 2005, 10:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I'm not a fan of the lowering windows options on the remote. There's been a few times that I've come back to my car and the windows have been open a fraction. Thankfully its been in the works car park, which is pretty secure - touches wood.

You can always open the windows by using the key in the drivers door lock, if your that desperate to have that feature.

I had that bother early on with my Cooper.. you could stand and watch the windows "dancing" all by themselves. It kept setting the Alarm off :mad::mad: so I couln't lock the car, because the option to lock and unclock with only the key (without using the alarm) wouldn't work! :mad: Straight back to the dealer for the window thing tho. They changed the locking mechanisms.. which were at fault. I would have thought that fault had been rectified by now tho :disapprove::mad:

Smitty
13th October 2005, 11:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Jim

is it definatly free?

duncan
14th October 2005, 12:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by duncan

I had that bother early on with my Cooper.. you could stand and watch the windows "dancing" all by themselves. It kept setting the Alarm off :mad::mad: so I couldn't lock the car, because the option to lock and unlock with only the key (without using the alarm) wouldn't work! :mad: Straight back to the dealer for the window thing tho. They changed the locking mechanisms.. which were at fault. I would have thought that fault had been rectified by now tho :disapprove::mad:

Its not that problem though, Ewan.
On the new 3 button remote, if you press and hold the unlock button, the windows go down. Its when I've been working in the store room beside the car park that the windows sometimes go down.

I tend to keep my keys in my pocket, so I guess that when I've been working the unlock button must have been pressed by accident.

euan
14th October 2005, 02:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

quote:Originally posted by euan

Jim

is it definatly free?

Well, I didn't pay for it. Might be worth calling them and asking to be sure, but I didn't pay anything.

Smitty
14th October 2005, 06:22 AM
right o, i'll look into it at the weekend, cheers min!

minimadtez
22nd October 2005, 06:50 PM
Jim, you can put your window up or down with the key.....ive never found a use for that as yet though! read yer manual :P