PDA

View Full Version : boilers

euan
4th October 2005, 05:14 PM
Who's bright idea was it to fit a new boiler in October? I'm freezing!

The guys started yesterday so we've had no hot water or heating since, although should be back tonight. But, as with all trades, all the windows and doors have been open and I can't feel my feet or hands anymore. Need to get slippers (if only I owned some) and my gloves out!

Be warned - if you ever need to replace a boiler, do it in summer!

Smurf
4th October 2005, 06:04 PM
We got double glazing fitted a few years ago - in February!!!!

It snowed.........
Brrrrrrrr

gill
5th October 2005, 03:28 AM
Nobody ever does it in the summer though cause they hardly use it and it seems OK !!! :D

You'll know the next time though ....

Sitting writing this in my nice cosy hoose! LOL :D

euan
5th October 2005, 04:06 PM
To be fair, that was the plan! We got quotes in August! It's just taken this long to get someone good who wasn't charging a fortune.

We moved into the place in August to find that the boiler, which had been ok, was now arsed and when the hot water came on, so did the heating. Which is just what you want when it's 30 outside...not.

Julz
5th October 2005, 05:58 PM
My grans boiler packed in in April 2004, she only just got it working last month!!:eek::evil:

Everyone please take note now, if you need outdoor lights fitted, do something about it soon! Robs greatest moan, everyone wants outside lights fitted when it's snowing, and not just the Christmas ones either!:clown:

euan
5th October 2005, 06:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

My grans boiler packed in in April 2004, she only just got it working last month!!:eek::evil:

Everyone please take note now, if you need outdoor lights fitted, do something about it soon! Robs greatest moan, everyone wants outside lights fitted when it's snowing, and not just the Christmas ones either!:clown:

That's just nuts!! Shocking really.

Ah, outdoor lights - need to get that sorted as well :eek: When we moved into our new place we never noticed this, but where you would expect to have a light hanging above the front door we have a hanging basket. Some people need their heads examined. Mind you, having seen the state of the rest of the place, the guy was either bone idle or just plain stupid. My money is on the latter.

Julz
5th October 2005, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
where you would expect to have a light hanging above the front door we have a hanging basket

Lucky you, we have wires poking through the wall!!;) The usual, married to a tradesman and you're always the last to get work done in your house! Although I can say our garage has more lights fitted in it than your average house!!;):clown:

N12 JLK
9th October 2005, 11:59 PM
What kind of boiler did you get. Combi?

Mines on it's last legs I think.:mad::mad:

Burple
10th October 2005, 12:13 AM
quote: Although I can say our garage has more lights fitted in it than your average house!!;):clown:

Not to mention the heating, the carpets, blankies and teddy bears for the cars.. ;);):p:p:p:p:p:D:D

N12 JLK
10th October 2005, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Who's bright idea was it to fit a new boiler in October? I'm freezing!

The guys started yesterday so we've had no hot water or heating since, although should be back tonight. But, as with all trades, all the windows and doors have been open and I can't feel my feet or hands anymore. Need to get slippers (if only I owned some) and my gloves out!

Be warned - if you ever need to replace a boiler, do it in summer!

DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD GET A BOILER IN A MINI:cool:

euan
10th October 2005, 03:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

What kind of boiler did you get. Combi?

Mines on it's last legs I think.:mad::mad:

We got a Condensing Combi (which is what we had to fit). We had a normal boiler with a hot and cold tanks, but with the combi that all gone! So now we have a 90%+ efficient boiler, and HUGE amounts of water pressure. Showering is bliss!

Plus, for the gadget freaks (ie, me) we have a wireless thermostat controller, so whatever room we are in, it will get the room to the pre-entered temp, or you can override it and set it to what you like. It's a bit sad, but brilliant!