PDA

View Full Version : Prague Recommendations

Wul
3rd October 2005, 04:13 PM
OK guys - I know there was a thread about this before but tried a search and think it's fell off the bottom.

Looking for recommendations on Bars, Restaurants and Touristy places to go in Prague.

Off there the 4th of November for a weekend. :D

euan
3rd October 2005, 04:51 PM
Well, I'd say:

Go to the Jewish Quarter, it's full of Art Nouveau buildings which are pretty cool, but the cememtry there has to be seen to be believed. We liked walking along the river after crossing the bridge (everyone does it). The castle is good, if you see the changing of the guards they all play trumpets and it sounds VERY like the theme from Thuderbirds.

Bars - just find the cellers, there are quite a few about.

Wenceslas Square - we didn't think it was up to much, but you have to go just to say you've been. Although they have one of the best hotels for the Art Nouveau - the Europa which is worth a wander.

We ate at the Icelandic bar one night, which was great (very trendy place - we didn't know at the time).

One tip - The clock tower in the old town stops at (I think) 10, so if you go past at night and a HUGE number of people are looking at it, they could be there some time...

I'm sure I'll remember more...

Wul
4th October 2005, 07:15 PM
Cheers Euan - keep em coming :)

euan
4th October 2005, 07:39 PM
We really liked the gardens as well, South Gardens and Royal Gardens, but they'll both be closed in November. There is a great restaurant beside them, but the name escapes me.

If you are going for a bit of culture and not just the beer, the theatre can get fully booked, so if you want to go there (it's an amazing building) buy tickets before you get there.

Oh, and the trams are amazing - they will be EXACTLY on time.

Wul
4th October 2005, 09:18 PM
Yeh...maybe the theatre is taking it a bit far now :p:D

duncan
4th October 2005, 09:56 PM
Never seen Prague, though i've had to change trains there.
The guidebook i've got for Europe says pretty much what Euan has said, though it says drink mineral water rather than tap water. Personally, i'd stick with the beer.:)

There's a website for the weekly English Language newspaper - The Prague Post (http://www.praguepost.com) and there's visitor information there.

The only other thing I can add, is that pickpockets are supposed to be quite prevalent, so make sure you keep a good eye on your valuables.

My Mum and Dad are going for the Christmas Markets later this year, so they might be starting up round about the time your going.

euan
4th October 2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, one more thing - it'll be COLD!!!!!

Wul
4th October 2005, 11:22 PM
LOL yeh - got a "Time Out" guide book for there so will gen up on it before we go.

Cheers for the info guys. :)

euan
4th October 2005, 11:35 PM
As an aside, me and the missus do a fair bit of travelling and have now stopped buying (as many) travel guides - lonely planet have put most (if not all) their travel books online, as have rough guide.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/czech-republic/prague/

http://travel.roughguides.com

We like the Eyewitness books more than these two though - they are much smaller and more convient when your away.

Mon the fish
6th October 2005, 05:11 AM
Good website here - http://www.pragueexperience.com/information/tourist_information.htm

I was there in January, it was cold but didn't feel as cold as the same temp over here would, if you see what I mean!? :p

Lovely city, the castle takes at least half a day to go round, well worth a visit. I've got a lonely planet guide book you can borrow if you want.

I loved the place, 40p a pint!!!! Even in the club at Charles Bridge, £3 to get in, cloakroom free, and still 40p a pint, all on a Sat night! Hoping to go back soon, would love to go with the Tartan Army :D

euan
7th October 2005, 11:57 PM
Came across some info for getting from the airport. I must admit we just took a cab, arrange price before you get in, was about 12 quid. On street cabs are a bit iffy in Prague, always agree the price first!

Travel into the city centre from the airport by bus/metro is dead easy and will only cost 20 Kr (50p). Buy your ticket at the desk in the terminal building and the guys on the desk speak good enough English to help you and will give you advice and a metro map. The bus stop is clearly signed in English and you cannot go wrong.

It is dead easy way to travel, obviously cheap, and their metro system is much easier to understand than ours in London. Anyway, I think it is always nicer to travel with local people than by rip-of taxi.

BUT A WORD OF WARNING. You must, absolutely must without fail validate your ticket at the start of your journey, in this case as you get on the bus, by clicking it in the yellow machine. If the first point of your journey is a metro station then the yellow machines are there at the steps as you go down to the platform. Merely buying a ticket is not good enough, it must be stamped in the machine. It tells you this on the ticket in English, but the print is tiny.

The ticket inspectors are not especially friendly and will not let ignorance of the rule influence their decision to impose the standard fine of 500Kr (£12.50). They do have an identification badge and will give you a receipt but best to avoid confrontation by validating your ticket.

euan
7th October 2005, 11:59 PM
And this is a neat site:

http://www.grand-restaurant.com/podstrana.php?page=top.php

Restaurant reviews in Prague.

The Dogfather
8th October 2005, 05:29 PM
Wul, mate of mine went on a Stag Night there, pretty colourful nitelife by all accounts.

I'd post a link to the company who organised all the 'entertainment' but its 1. Not fit for NMS and 2. Probably not what your looking for ;)

euan
8th October 2005, 07:58 PM
I was watching a programme about Prague the other week, and it was looking at the impact of stag and hen nights. They showed a "club" where you meet various women and do what you like (within reason) - it wasn't expensive but the reason for that? All the rooms had cameras in them and they broadcast all the feed onto the net!

Think I'd pass on that one....

N12 JLK
9th October 2005, 06:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

OK guys - I know there was a thread about this before but tried a search and think it's fell off the bottom.

Looking for recommendations on Bars, Restaurants and Touristy places to go in Prague.

Off there the 4th of November for a weekend. :D

outrage your not coming to my minimeets 2 boo hoo:(:(
only jokin enjoy you hols;)