PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down my Number Plate

T6 KFR
2nd October 2005, 12:17 AM
I know that some people that read this will think whats the point.... i dont care. I just like having small number plates.:D

Anyway. I fancy cutting down my reg plates like i did with my last car. Only problem being that JC's have put the screw holes so wide on the front bumper i cant cover them if i cut the plate. (back is ok!!)

Any suggestions what i could do,to cover small holes on each side of my reg plate?

Gismo
2nd October 2005, 12:23 AM
You could either screw in black self tappers, or, if it really annoys you, buy a new plate holder, they are quite cheap, contact minime ;)

T6 KFR
2nd October 2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I thought about black self tappers and the number plate holder. But when looking up the web, i can only seem to find rear number plate holders and they are chrome....anyone know of others. i think its my best option.

Gismo
2nd October 2005, 12:58 AM
You'll have to buy the new plate holder from a MINI dealer, i've never seen replacement after market ones
Another thing you could try is, to fill in the hole with a replacement cap type thing :I then glue it inplace, you wouldn't notice it from a distance but close up you might

sleepyrascal
2nd October 2005, 01:48 AM
I did away with the holder and drilled directly into the bumper. Yes I know i'm missing a bit of the grill. Just havn't got round to fitting it yet.

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20711/67092.jpg

T6 KFR
2nd October 2005, 01:59 AM
Sorry SleepyRascal dont know what you mean?

Ive never had a reg plate holder, the front one is directly drilled into the bumper.... that is the problem. If I cut the plate down you will see the two drilled holes.

Unless i try the self tapper idea

sleepyrascal
2nd October 2005, 02:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Sorry SleepyRascal dont know what you mean?

Ive never had a reg plate holder, the front one is directly drilled into the bumper.... that is the problem. If I cut the plate down you will see the two drilled holes.

Unless i try the self tapper idea

Ah, then you must have a cooper. I thought you had an S you see with the separate holder.

That is a problem. I would fill it, sand it, and paint it.

The Dogfather
2nd October 2005, 03:47 AM
Mines glued on with tape! Surely this is the best way of fixing a plate?

sleepyrascal
2nd October 2005, 04:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Mines glued on with tape! Surely this is the best way of fixing a plate?

How does that solve the problem of the holes though?

The Dogfather
2nd October 2005, 04:43 AM
Sorry Sleepy just surprised that some garages are fitting plates with screws, ruins the bumper and weakens the plate, talk about the dark ages!

Filling carefully as not to need a sanding, the holes are really small so I'm sure this would be OK. Then touchup with a paint pen would leave you with a finish that would look OK unless you're right up close.

sleepyrascal
2nd October 2005, 07:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Sorry Sleepy just surprised that some garages are fitting plates with screws, ruins the bumper and weakens the plate, talk about the dark ages!

Filling carefully as not to need a sanding, the holes are really small so I'm sure this would be OK. Then touchup with a paint pen would leave you with a finish that would look OK unless you're right up close.

I think they screw them on when they are rushing to get NEW cars out of the garage. It saves time, mess and hassle I would imagine.

T6 KFR
2nd October 2005, 07:35 PM
Yeah its a real pain in the ass.

U never really want to use filler on a new car though eh. Unless we are talking about my previous cars when i started driving years ago...old vauxhalls, fords:I ha ha ha

well i have ideas, which one , i dont know.Perhaps a flush self tapper , filled groves then painted????

Gismo
2nd October 2005, 08:21 PM
Another idea, on your rear number plate you probably have a yellow and a black plastic screw holding it onto the boot, depending on where the lettering is ;) you could purchase two black ones complete with nuts, or, as you'll have to make the holes bigger anyway to acommodate the bigger screws, simply screw them in like a self tapper
I'm not sure how secure they will be like that, hence, the suggested nuts too

You could then have a frankenstein look :approve:

No matter what you do i don't think it'll look outta place as it'll be symmetrical :cool:

JohnO
2nd October 2005, 10:32 PM
I'd go with self tappers (either black or painted) , or even the plastic screws(that way you could just trim the heads off (carefully!)
I took the front plinth off my S and fitted a small front plate and just put 2 of the plinth holding screws bag in , I have to say I dont notice it. Ive trimmed the rear plate but kept it std size just to be somewhat legal :)
Enjoy
JohnO

T6 KFR
2nd October 2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks JohnO,

Think ill try that for the moment. ill cut them then screw in the orginal screws back in

then i can take it from there, Dont suppose u can post up some pics of what uve done to ur plate can you? Or send to my email ....

rettie1981@hotmail.com

Thanks

Kev

JohnO
5th October 2005, 05:33 AM
http://www.johnoldfield.dsl.pipex.com/images/front_plate.jpg
Sorry took so long ....
Front plate is from www.fancyplates.com (they do a special 2/3rds size front plate only)
HTH
JohnO

Gismo
5th October 2005, 06:32 AM
Fancy plates will actually make the number plate to what ever size you want, but, no guarantee it'll be legal