PDA

View Full Version : new phone

euan
29th September 2005, 07:58 PM
My phone is due an upgrade and I wondered if any of you lot had any advice.

Currently got a SE K700i which has been great but I've had three Sonys on the trot and fancy a change. (plus, my joysticks have stuck on all three sonys which needed replacing)

I need bluetooth and tri band, and have been looking at the K750i and the new Samsung d600. Anyone had/used/got anything to say about them?

MartinSullivan
29th September 2005, 08:09 PM
I have a K750i and love it - but its an SE, and I thought you wanted a change????

sleepyrascal
29th September 2005, 08:13 PM
theres the new nokia n70 (i think its called n70) and later the n80

Big Col
29th September 2005, 08:19 PM
I got the Motorolla V3 and really like it.

euan
29th September 2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I do want a change but the SE phones are so good it's hard!

Ideally I wanted something with a flip or a slide.

What's the N70/N80?

The Dogfather
29th September 2005, 08:21 PM
All depends on what you want, a phone or an all singing all dancing super gadget?

GAJ
29th September 2005, 08:24 PM
I got a V3 too after having a couple of SE phones. I was seriously tempted by the 750i but I decided that style is much more important than substance. It's a nice wee phone if your main concern is using it as a phone, if you know what I mean.

Craig
30th September 2005, 05:06 AM
I've got the Samsung Z500 which is 3G, BLuetooth, Triband. It's been really good (after I worked out how to turn off 3G as it was eating the battery in a day).

It's a flip phone and has a video and megapixel camera...

AndyP & Lenore
30th September 2005, 05:07 AM
Lenore has a Samsung D500 and she loves it. Mainly because she can have a Wet Wet Wet ringtone.:(:eek::(

Craig
30th September 2005, 05:15 AM
Andy - that will HAVE to be sorted, might sabotage it tommorrow night and get something much more up to date on it..;)

AndyP & Lenore
30th September 2005, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Andy - that will HAVE to be sorted, might sabotage it tommorrow night and get something much more up to date on it..;)

Worse still, she has a pic of Marti Pillow on the screen.:(:( Every time I see it I want to wipe that smug smile of the wee sh*tes face.:D

Oh, and Lenore says she's gonna leave her phone at home tomorrow.:D And she's threatening to wear a Marti Pellow T-Shirt tomorrow night.:disapprove:

Euan - sorry to hijack your thread with a WetWetWet/Marti Pellow bashing oppertunity - couldn't pass it up.;)

Scottie
30th September 2005, 07:14 AM
I've had/got a few phones:eek::I for bluetooth none can match the nokia IMO well with parrot anyway the phone I hate though is the nokia 8800 battery life crap tiny buttons even the slide function not so good the D500 has a much better slide.

Gismo
30th September 2005, 03:57 PM
I have the nokia 8800 and quite like it, i don't find the smaller buttons too much hassle, but then i'm not a texting maniac :p
Battery life ain't great, that's why you get two supplied ;)

euan
30th September 2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I quite liked the 8800 but then I saw the price!

In answer to BDM, I'm after a phone that will do all the phone stuff, but also take reasonable pics (well, the same as my K700). That nis pretty much all I use it for. I ocasionally use WAP for news etc when I'm out and about, and have recently discovered the map functions on WAP, which are brilliant!

Bluetooth is the key thing as I need it to work as well as it does at the moment with the car. Some phones don't work as well as others with the on board bluetooth, and as I can currently do everything I want (browse my phonebook via the stereo, for example) I don't want to lose that.

And Wet Wet Wet bashing - that can be done on any thread as far I'm concerned!

AndyP & Lenore
30th September 2005, 07:14 PM
Euan, I have an Orange SPV C500. It's a smartphone but does everyting you've mentioned above. Although I have no idea how functional the Bluetooth is when connecting throuh the car steroe as I dont use that. But it has a camera which I think is 1megapixel (the Nokia 8800 is only .5 megapixel). The phone runs on Windows Mobile technology so you don't need to restrict yourself to Wap based browsing. It has almost full blown Internet Explorer for web browsing on the move. I was checking emails and the NMS site while I was away on Holiday earlier in the month. I could even post to the forums. I'd certainly reccomend one. Batterly life isn't fantastic but what is these days with colour screens, video camera's and microwave ovens all built inot movile phones. I get about 2 to 3 days out of a charge.

euan
30th September 2005, 07:25 PM
I looked at the SPV last time and discounted it as Orange would not give it to me on a 14 day trial due to the deal I was getting. They still do that on upgrades (boo Orange!). I was worried about how I'd find it in use and also that to get the most out of it I'd need a GPRS monthly top up thing and for all I use WAP it wasn't worth it. If work were to give me one, that's a different story! But I think I'll stick with something more "traditional" for my own phone.

sleepyrascal
1st October 2005, 07:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Yeah, I quite liked the 8800 but then I saw the price!

In answer to BDM, I'm after a phone that will do all the phone stuff, but also take reasonable pics (well, the same as my K700). That nis pretty much all I use it for. I ocasionally use WAP for news etc when I'm out and about, and have recently discovered the map functions on WAP, which are brilliant!

Bluetooth is the key thing as I need it to work as well as it does at the moment with the car. Some phones don't work as well as others with the on board bluetooth, and as I can currently do everything I want (browse my phonebook via the stereo, for example) I don't want to lose that.

And Wet Wet Wet bashing - that can be done on any thread as far I'm concerned!

To be honest, I would go for the K750i!!!! Thats what I had stolen and it's what I went to get again. The picture quality is by far the best I have ever seen. Well, it is a 2 Meg camera. I think the K750i is actually better than its bigger bro, the walkman version. This is partly because its looks better and it has a handy wee lens slide cover. The SE K750i also uses pro duo memory cards so you can upgrade the memory to hold hundreds of pics/videos etc. It's a nice size, slightly smaller and lighter than the K700.

I would avoid 3G. I don't see the point. Unless you have a burning desire to stream videos at great expense.

The N70 is the latest Nokia. However, It's selling point is that it is 3G so it is let down by lesser quality camera etc. Its looks col though.

aimee_s
2nd October 2005, 01:36 AM
Id second/third/fourth the option of thee SE K750i...its tops! Camera is the best you'll find out there, does everything you want it to do, big memory and it looks pretty smart too. I would avoid the Motorola Razr V3 like the plague....sorry, I know someone said they had it but its horrendous-yes it looks v impressive but thats where it ends-bluetooth is beyond slow, and camera and memory is PANTS...but...it does look good!

The Dogfather
2nd October 2005, 03:53 AM
I love my V3 but that's because I use it just as a phone. I've added loads of custom ringtones which I've created myself from downloading sample from the internet.

As a phone I can't fault it.

euan
2nd October 2005, 05:04 PM
I had a play with the new D600 today and I quite like it, then I played with my other halfs D500 and it's menus etc are just not as good as the SE, so against all my wishes, I think it'll have to be the K750i.

The new Motorolla Pebble looks quite cool but no one can tell me when it's coming out, and I suspect it's a bit "girly" if you know what I mean.

sleepyrascal
2nd October 2005, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

but no one can tell me when it's coming out, and I suspect it's a bit "girly" if you know what I mean.

Carphonewarehouse usually has a pretty good list of 'coming soon' phones and their release dates.