PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Runs?

rossco
28th August 2003, 12:08 AM
Being new to NMS, have any West Coast of Scotland runs ever been organised? Ayrshire? Dumfries & Galloway?

If not why not?!?! ;)

Monsta Mo Mini
28th August 2003, 10:47 PM
See GlenCoe Run.

I've quite fancied doing a run around Dumfries and Galloway aswell. Lovely part of the world with great roads. The reason there haven't been any is because none of the west coasters can be arsed organising one (hint!);):D

mgemie
10th February 2004, 04:57 AM
I'd definitely fancy some runs around the Dumfries & Galloway / Ayrshire area. Its a tad difficult to make some of the NMS runs since it mean a 180mile trip just to get to the starting point for the run. Due to me being based in Dumfries I’d definitely attend some of the closer runs. So Rossco, you've got my vote in this matter.

Where are you based? It may be useful for us to try and organise something that suits both our run-related needs...

GAJ
10th February 2004, 05:07 AM
Good on ya rossco!

Gismo
10th February 2004, 05:28 AM
To organise a run in Dumfries is simple, just do it, seek advice if needed, think of a route, think of a lunch stop or nightover stop :p bit of planning and arrange a suitable date :eek:
Just about every run i attend is at least a 180 mile round trip for me, no complaints, really enjoy meeting all the people.

Duncan Stewart
10th February 2004, 06:37 PM
I returned from Ayr last year over Wanlockhead into Elvanfoot then Abington services. It occurred to me then that Abington services on (M74) could be a good starting place for a run - over Wanlockhead, down Dumfries way then back up another way.

Starky
11th February 2004, 02:25 AM
I'd be up for some of that, how's about even going north, ie Loch Lomond, Fort William, Ullapool down into Inverness down the East coast or down the A82 past Loch Ness, maybe suit everybody even better with a couple of joining up points, East & West (even central) points.

Gismo
11th February 2004, 04:22 PM
Gotta say that joining up points, though a good idea, are, in my humble opinion not a good idea, far better to get everyone at the start :)
You could always arrange to have a stop over the night before the run :p, even at the abbingdon services

seany
11th February 2004, 11:01 PM
thinking of doing a big run in the summer, from perth to John "O" Groats

Starky
12th February 2004, 02:53 AM
I'll go with the flow guys, keep my eyes peeled for any new developements.

Duncan Stewart
12th February 2004, 07:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by seany

thinking of doing a big run in the summer, from perth to John "O" Groats

Go on Seany - you know you gotta do it ;)
If thinking of staying over night the I've used the Royal hotel in Thurso before which was nice. Usual price a bit expensive but does lots of special offers so might do group booking discount.
http://www.british-trust-hotels.com/norseman_hotel_wick/norseman_hotel_wick.html
I'd be happy to help out organising it if you need a hand.