PDA

View Full Version : JCW Sound Kit - The Review

Craig
27th September 2005, 12:54 AM
Well it has finally been fitted (last week - Thurs 22nd Sept) after my initial request in Jan of this year and the long wait for BMW/MINI to release it. I am told it is the only genuine BMW install in Scotland to date ;)

This thread is to give everyone out there my take on the mod so that you have at least some idea of the kit before parting with you hard earned dosh. On the subject of dosh, the Kit fitted by my local dealer (Thanks Menzies - Top Job as usual:D) is £750. If you fancy the long trip to John Cooper Garages they are £715 (I believe).

The Kit consists of a JCW Exhaust, JCW Air Filter, ECU Remap, Metal (I think enamel) Badge for the back of the car, a small Engine cover and Plaque, plus your Certificate for the Garage Wall.

I have covered just over 200 miles since fitted and I am loving every mile. When around town (below 4,000rpm) you get a nice deep burble and the sound is very subtle. When you give it a bit of right foot and get it over the 4,000rpm on the open road, the air filter makes a noise very close to a V-Tec (IMO) and it sings!:D:D.

The throttle response is definately better, picking up from lower down and the car seems to pull all the way to the redline smoother and harder. I am defo going to be getting points soon (next years Argyll Run will be faster;)) The noise at motorway speeds is not intrusive as some people (BDM if I remember with one of his old exhausts) have complained that it is hard to live with. This is definately been engineered to make noise when you want it, and quieten down when you don't

If anyone out there would like a run in the car (I have 1 customer already :p) to see how it differs from your own car and the noise it makes, let me know and you more than welcome to meet up for a shot.

If anybody wants any pictures, give me a couple of days 'til the monsoon goes away....

Any Questions?

Cheers

Craig:D

PS - time to go back out for another shot!!;)

Wul
27th September 2005, 01:00 AM
Craig - got any pics of the various bits and pieces they fitted?

Craig
27th September 2005, 01:03 AM
I would do wul, but it's like a typhoon out there and the car hasn't been clean enough yet to get photos for the site;) Hope to get them on once the wind and rain stops..:D

minidriver#1
27th September 2005, 01:13 AM
i've always been a bit sceptical about the sound kit... because it adds no more than 3bhp to the power output of the car and thats not much for the money, but i guess the sound makes up for it.

The Dogfather
27th September 2005, 01:47 AM
Craig - It would be interesting to hear my car - aftermarket filter and modified S exhaust - next to yours to compare, Budget vs Pukka JCW. Maybe next time we're on a run together. Congrats on being the first in Scotland BTW. :D

I know what you mean about points, and your fuel economy will suffer as well as you'll be changing down gear to hear the exhaust/filter. ;)

I've also noticed there's a better pull low down with my set up as well, perhaps the standard kit is a bit restrictive. The One Ball S exhaust only gets loud at around 90 (on a private road of course) but even then its nowhere near excessive unlike my old one.

Heather
27th September 2005, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd
(I have 1 customer already :p)

OOOhhhh yes! :D

Scottie
27th September 2005, 02:28 AM
I know ther is plenty aftermarket stuff out there but nothing beats the real thing does it. I know you do pay over the odds for JCW stuff but there is just something good about the stuff.

Maybe get a wee trip in the car on Friday night.

Craig
27th September 2005, 03:32 AM
More than welcome Fiona - we could do a comparison;)

I know what your saying BDM, I just said to myself that I was going to stick the right side of the warranty this time. Not that I had any problems with getting warranty stuff done on the last car, just that if there was a major problem with the car, sometimes car companies can be a bit hard on you if the car has been modified without approved parts..

Craig
27th September 2005, 03:44 AM
Also told that it may aid the sale of my car in the very very very many years from now as it has JCW parts still covered by TLC and Warranty...:D

The Dogfather
27th September 2005, 03:55 AM
Craig - I'll be getting an aftermarket warranty with the LPG conversion to cover any parts which BMW won't repair if there's a problem.

Your spot on with the resale angle. I'm intending to run the current MINI into the ground so it won't be an issue for me. BTW my air filter cost me £19 and exhaust, which was free from SC, has cost £100 for fitting and then being modified a few months later so when I said budget I meant it ;)

The Dogfather
27th September 2005, 03:59 AM
Oh, I just spotted that yours included a remap, hadn't noticed. It does seem really good value.

Mini Me
27th September 2005, 04:08 AM
glad you like it Mr D :p

Sound kit's ,get your sound kit's........While stock's last;):D;):D....

N12 JLK
27th September 2005, 04:31 AM
need to check this out on Friday ,

ps craig were gonna have to work hard at Les to get this fitted, get your salesmans head on for Friday!:p

Craig
27th September 2005, 05:03 AM
nae bother Jason, I'll make it sound like it was her idea to get the kit fitted in the end....;)

Craig
27th September 2005, 05:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Oh, I just spotted that yours included a remap, hadn't noticed. It does seem really good value.

Forgot about it :I so just added it back in later - that's how you didn't notice it earlier :I;):D

minidriver#1
27th September 2005, 05:39 AM
am i right in saying that the ECU is also remaped with a JCW map?

The Dogfather
27th September 2005, 06:14 AM

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Forgot about it :I so just added it back in later - that's how you didn't notice it earlier :I;):D

Thought I was just being dense, it wouldn't have been the first time:I

Craig
27th September 2005, 03:27 PM
Yup KJ you are correct, that's what gives it the improved throttle response and I think it is also much smoother through the gears. A bit like what people are saying about the MTH remap, but obviously it gives bigger power gains..:D

Crombers
27th September 2005, 06:22 PM
Lets meet up big chap :I. Would really like to hear what this sounds like :p;)

PS , does it 'pop' (ala like post 54 'S's)

Craig
27th September 2005, 07:41 PM
nae probs Alan, are you going to make it along to Stirling on Friday night?? could do it then:D If not, just let me kow where and when... It does pop a wee bit, but it's been raining mostly since I got it, so not had the window down much to hear it!:p

Duncan Stewart
27th September 2005, 07:43 PM
Sounds really good Craig :D canny wait to hear it

euan
27th September 2005, 08:45 PM

It does pop a wee bit, but it's been raining mostly since I got it, so not had the window down much to hear it!:p

Use the old trick - put the rear seats down ;)

Crombers
28th September 2005, 05:53 PM

nae probs Alan, are you going to make it along to Stirling on Friday night?? could do it then:D If not, just let me kow where and when... It does pop a wee bit, but it's been raining mostly since I got it, so not had the window down much to hear it!:p

Cant manage Fri eve or Sat (football) , but will head up the 'straights' whenever it suits yourself :p:p

Big Col
28th September 2005, 06:55 PM

You can remove the foam insulation in the boot which will allow you to hear the exhaust a bit better. Also whipping out the parcel shelf if it aint one of the ones with the hole already in it. :)

Cooper_si
28th September 2005, 07:07 PM
yes i agree about the foam removal! made a massive difference to my S ;)

T6 KFR
28th September 2005, 08:41 PM
Seems ALOT of money for very little, apart from the confidence that it is JC Kit.

I will opt for the cheaper verson....my MTH remap in Oct. Playmini exhaust and Typhoon K&N kit.

Its like you are just paying for the badge on ur boot. (which i wouldnt mind myself:D)

Crombers
28th September 2005, 08:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Seems ALOT of money for very little, apart from the confidence that it is JC Kit.

I will opt for the cheaper verson....my MTH remap in Oct. Playmini exhaust and Typhoon K&N kit.

Its like you are just paying for the badge on ur boot. (which i wouldnt mind myself:D)

Dunno so much. As Craig has said it is all warranted so come trade in time it's more £ for your MINI :approve:. No doubt your option will sound the 'dogs' but come time to sell it will be off with all the add on's to get your car back to standard & how much will you then get for the add ons :question: Maybe somebody who has done so can comment.

CRAIG , when we gonna meet up :D

Craig
28th September 2005, 10:58 PM
hows about Sunday afternoon?? - I'll PM you when I get home with my phone number so we can arrange.

Cheers

Craig

Crombers
28th September 2005, 11:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Cant manage Fri eve or Sat (football) , but will head up the 'straights' whenever it suits yourself :p:p

Cant manage Sat PM (football). When else you free :question:

Crombers
28th September 2005, 11:33 PM
P!sh , did not read your message properly. I,m fine for Sunday. I,ll PM you my numbers & we can arrange. Good man :approve:

Craig
29th September 2005, 12:37 AM
Now with Pictures:D:D as the sun has come out for a wee while.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw1.JPG

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw2.JPG

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw3.JPG

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw4.JPG

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw6.JPG

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/miniadventures/jcw7.JPG

Craig
29th September 2005, 12:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

I think as crombers has pointed out, if you trade into a MINI dealer, they like the car to be back to standard, so if you don't sell your car privately, you have to get it all taken back off, sell it on, or put it back on your new car. I had to do this with my last car, sold on most of the parts no bother but less than half the price of them new and they were only a few months old....:(

It's not too bad if you know someone with a ramp and they do it for hee haw, but it can get quite expensive paying for mechanics to do this all for you...

Oh and it is all about the badges....:eek:.;):approve::approve::approve:

T6 KFR
29th September 2005, 03:40 AM
Point taken mate....I suppose the badges make it better!!

:D

Engine bay looks really smart.

Smurf
29th September 2005, 04:33 AM
Whimper !!!!!!

I just KNOW as soon as I hear this, that I'm going to want one...........
I wanted one when I got Smurfy2, but just couldn't spend any more, and they weren't available then..........

Must compare with Smurfy's induction kit (and any Menzies people reading this didn't see that bit, OK?)

Mini Me
29th September 2005, 04:43 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: am tellin ;)

Craig
29th September 2005, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Whimper !!!!!!

I just KNOW as soon as I hear this, that I'm going to want one...........
I wanted one when I got Smurfy2, but just couldn't spend any more, and they weren't available then..........

Must compare with Smurfy's induction kit (and any Menzies people reading this didn't see that bit, OK?)

I have a funny feeling that your order will be in shortly after you hear it, plus the driving experience (IMHO) is much much better.. Just sell Archie on Ebay:eek::blackeye::p;):approve:

lightbody
1st October 2005, 09:59 PM
Looks great Craig! I'm quite jealous, and would probably do this if I had *ANY* cash for this sort of thing just now.

The bit that concerned me about the sound kit, though, is that they connect the induction box to the bulkhead to let the noise into the interior of the car - your comments have reassured me that it isn't noisy ALL the time, but I still didn't like the idea of this. Can you comment about this? (My info I think came from a thorough reading of the MINI USA website which goes into it in some details).

Have you had an induction kit fitted previously? How does it compare?

Mini Me
1st October 2005, 11:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Looks great Craig! I'm quite jealous, and would probably do this if I had *ANY* cash for this sort of thing just now.

Did you know that your friendly MINI dealer can arrange finance on the kit for you ;):D;):D;):D

lightbody
2nd October 2005, 12:48 AM
quote:Did you know that your friendly MINI dealer can arrange finance on the kit for you

Oh really!? I'll maybe enquire at Henry Bros about it when he's in for his first service... thanks for the tip!

BlackEye
2nd October 2005, 01:24 AM
Hi Craig

I'm really interested..... how much has the insurance gone up?

Craig
2nd October 2005, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

The bit that concerned me about the sound kit, though, is that they connect the induction box to the bulkhead to let the noise into the interior of the car - your comments have reassured me that it isn't noisy ALL the time, but I still didn't like the idea of this. Can you comment about this? (My info I think came from a thorough reading of the MINI USA website which goes into it in some details).

Rob, I've never had an induction kit fitted, however from speaking to GAJ and Smurf, the noise (and feeling) you get are very similar. As I have said, you get the noise when you want it (approx above 4,000rpm) and hardly any when you don't. To be honest it's the best of both worlds in my opinion as you get a subtle burble round town and when you are taking it easy, then it bursts into life when you give it a good shoein':D

Craig
2nd October 2005, 01:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by BlackEye

Hi Craig

I'm really interested..... how much has the insurance gone up?

My insurance company (Flux) have said that my insurance will go up approx £30 per year.... which I think is very good. I think most insurance companies hike up the price if there are huge performance gains.. My quote is mainly based on value of the car, PLUS any add-ons (the JCW Kit being one of them..)

Hope this helps

Craig

BlackEye
2nd October 2005, 01:42 AM
I may have to make a phone call or 2!

Craig
2nd October 2005, 01:48 AM
GO on...........you know it makes sense...:D

Get a shot in a car that has had the mod done and you WILL be sold on it....;)

zoot
2nd October 2005, 10:14 PM
pipercross.... great sound....
not that much difference on a s though....
exhaust change did it completely....:D

markyc
2nd October 2005, 10:45 PM
Got to say i'm impressed :) Wasn't to sure to start with but after a wee hurl with Craig 'heavy right foot, i'm goin through bucketloads of petrol' D i'm hooked :D:D;) The exhaust noise is not intrusive, it's a lovely burble at low speed and just sings at 'high speed'(not above 70mph you understand :eek:), the noise of the engine at high revs is just superb and to top it all off the throttle response through the gears is fantastic, no loss of power at all. Yeh its a lot of dough but i think it's well worth it :) It's JCW engineered and it doesn't affect your warranty, brilliant stuff :D:D

Craig
3rd October 2005, 01:12 AM
Good to see you Crombers, hope you enjoyed the wee "test drive"...:D

I'd be interested to hear you views on it.. Hope to see you at the beginning of Nov for a chat and a wee shandy ;)

BlackEye
3rd October 2005, 03:41 AM
Right thats the insurance covered, step 2 work on the bank manager, step 3 off to the garage......:D

Crombers
3rd October 2005, 07:06 PM

Good to see you Crombers, hope you enjoyed the wee "test drive"...:D

I'd be interested to hear you views on it.. Hope to see you at the beginning of Nov for a chat and a wee shandy ;)

WOW , I'M SOLD ON THIS BIG TIME.
First visual impresions are good , exhaust & badge on the rear look ace. Engine bay is way cool & any converters will end up in the MarkyC school of engine cleanliness :p;).
Start up the car and the burble sounds stunning but the difference in burble is awesome once the car ( & the concorde sytle expanding exhaust system ) are all warmed up. A couple of blips on the throttle & this is what all Coopers should sound like. Only (minor) disapointment is the lack of 'pop' aka post '54' 'S's' have.
Once on the move (& this owner has one helluva heavy right foot but he CAN drive ;)) the noise is addictive. The V-Tec rasp you get at the top end is fantastic and (after the very kind offer of a personal test drive) the pulling power is noticably sharper in every gear (must admit those new Getrag boxes are the b*ll*cks). The fact that your car has still to loosen off (give or take another few thousand miles) means the whole system will be even better in a fully bedded in MINI. I have already discussed the planned purchase of this system with the 'Guru' along with a few other tasty add on's next year & it'll be interesting to see how many other NMS Cooper owners will be planning a visit to Menzies to have this fitted. Best option offered to date by BMW for us Cooper drivers :approve:

PS my name is down for 4/11 ;) already :p

Mini Me
4th October 2005, 03:14 AM
Oh god , don't let the Guru tag stick !!!!!:disapprove:

Crombers
4th October 2005, 05:34 PM
OK 'tart' then :p

Sweeney
5th February 2006, 10:55 PM
Im getting the kit done this tuesday (7th feb 2006), it's apparently on special offer just now, £499 all in (JCW quoted 715 all in but meant i had to go to their garage), but im not sure if its a dealer specific offer.

On the insurance note; mine said it would not affect it at all. :D

Obviously heavy foot syndrome occurs when you get something like this but other than that does it have any effect on fuel consumption?

Gismo
5th February 2006, 11:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney
Im getting the kit done this tuesday (7th feb 2006), it's apparently on special offer just now, £499 all in
That seems to be a fairer price than the initial quotes of around £1000 :eek:

Sweeney
6th February 2006, 12:15 AM
i think its 765 excl vat etc normally?

Craig
6th February 2006, 07:11 AM
mine fitted was £750 inc Vat. (Sept 2005)

to answer you question re fuel economy, they say it should aid it, but I find that I'm averaging only 33mpg...:disapprove: That is most probably, 'cos the sound is addictive over 4000rpm :approve::approve:

Still wouldn't swap it though...;)

ELFMAN
6th February 2006, 11:03 PM
The £499.00 fitted price sounds like an excellent deal, while if I was still a COOPER owner I'd think twice @ £750.00. Good to know it actually seems to work though.

My old 2001 COOPER sounded great and went a wee bit better with its 'MAGNEX' (Cat-back) exhaust @ £395.00. No effect on Warranty. TLC etc. More than one way to skin a cat I suppose...

duncan
6th February 2006, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Im getting the kit done this tuesday (7th feb 2006), it's apparently on special offer just now, £499 all in (JCW quoted 715 all in but meant i had to go to their garage), but im not sure if its a dealer specific offer.

On the insurance note; mine said it would not affect it at all. :D

Obviously heavy foot syndrome occurs when you get something like this but other than that does it have any effect on fuel consumption?

Where is this offer from? Is its all MINI dealers, or is it one specific one?

Wul
7th February 2006, 12:06 AM
Cool new are selling the kit for £285!! Here (https://www.coolnew.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=420&type=1)

Big Col
7th February 2006, 12:14 AM
LOL! "May need tools". :D

Gismo
7th February 2006, 12:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Cool new are selling the kit for £285!! Here (https://www.coolnew.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=420&type=1)

Going by the bad delivery posts they get i'd never consider buying from them

Craig
7th February 2006, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

it's not the full kit - it's actually the air filter kit for the Cooper S.... (I did think it was a bit cheap, until I looked into it further....) Also the filter is a completely different shape and size in the picture..:D

PS - I'm with BS, used them once and never again..:disapprove:

Sweeney
7th February 2006, 02:26 AM
Duncan thats what im not sure of, i only deal with my local dealer so i wouldn't know if anyone else is offering it.

(update)
Got it fitted, sounds absolutely smashing... Makes you want to floor it under all circumstances, the rumble while cruising and idle is fantastic. :D