PDA

View Full Version : CraigD, whats that......

AndyP & Lenore
26th September 2005, 08:17 AM
...... 4X4 sitting on your drive next to Knottie?

Craig
26th September 2005, 03:31 PM
That's Jude's wee Rav4 Diesel called "Tonks". She absolutely loves it. She has always wanted a 4x4 (don't get onto me enviromentalists...;)) She like quite a few others, but budget meant that it narrowed it down to the Rav4 and CRV. The Rav4 edged it on "styling" says Jude:D

The Dogfather
26th September 2005, 04:51 PM
Craig, whats the D4D engine like?

N12 JLK
26th September 2005, 06:00 PM
its a good engine , plenty of pull in it, ive got the same d4d in my avensis.

AndyP & Lenore
26th September 2005, 06:41 PM
IC.

I was asking 'cos it looked a little like the new Merc M Class, from what we could see of it.

IMHO Jude made the right decision on the Rav4. Lenore and I went through 3 CRV's in the space of 2 years before we gave up on them. First one replaced under warranty. Second one wasn't too bad but we fancied the Exec model. The exec model turned out to be a turkey too. Changed to the M Class 4 months later. Job done.

Scottie
26th September 2005, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

IC.

I was asking 'cos it looked a little like the new Merc M Class, from what we could see of it.

IMHO Jude made the right decision on the Rav4. Lenore and I went through 3 CRV's in the space of 2 years before we gave up on them. First one replaced under warranty. Second one wasn't too bad but we fancied the Exec model. The exec model turned out to be a turkey too. Changed to the M Class 4 months later. Job done.

oh yes the new M class I'm liking the new ML65 AMG 510 bhp :D:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
26th September 2005, 07:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Test drove the new M Class last week.

Crap.:( Plasticky Tonka toy.:( Not impressed.:( It looks a bit better on the outside but wasn't impressed with the ride, performance, interior finish........ need I go on. All IMHO of course.:)

Test drove the Touareg. The 3.0 V6 TDI and the 2.5 TDI. Well impressed.:D

euan
26th September 2005, 07:25 PM
Give me the AMG G Wagon in black. Now that's a Merc I could live with!

Always liked the RAVs, I had a Honda HRV on hols and thought it was good apart from the gearbox.

Scottie
26th September 2005, 07:41 PM

Test drove the new M Class last week.

Crap.:( Plasticky Tonka toy.:( Not impressed.:( It looks a bit better on the outside but wasn't impressed with the ride, performance, interior finish........ need I go on. All IMHO of course.:)

Test drove the Touareg. The 3.0 V6 TDI and the 2.5 TDI. Well impressed.:D

:D:cool: it's good to know you like the Treg's have a look on

www.mytouareg.co.uk some useful info if you ever consider buying a treg the what to look out for etc etc.

What about the Audi Q7

AndyP & Lenore
26th September 2005, 10:37 PM
:D:cool: it's good to know you like the Treg's have a look on

www.mytouareg.co.uk some useful info if you ever consider buying a treg the what to look out for etc etc.

What about the Audi Q7

We were gutted at the way Mercedes have devalued the previous M Class:( so it will now be a year or two before we are looking to change. I'll never buy a Merc again.:mad::mad::mad:

Craig
27th September 2005, 12:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Craig, whats the D4D engine like?

Paul, it's very punchy :)(it's the best description I can give). It also gets up to motoring speed quite quickly, but is not on a par with VW diesel engines like my dad has in his passat. I will be towing a caravan with it next year, so that will be it's real test and one of the reasons we bought it. It's currently returning just over 41mpg on jude's drive to work and back which is a miture of everything (A, B and Motorway).

We have been very impressed with it, plus the versatility of the seating - the boot is the biggest we have had. Not that happy with the dealer, but another 6 months and it's out of warranty anyway

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 01:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I will be towing a caravan with it next year, so that will be it's real test and one of the reasons we bought it.

Craig, I really hate to think I am teaching my granny to suck eggs, but I don't recall the RAV4 being very heavy. Have you checked your kerbweights?

I was caught out with my CRV.:mad: Nice big towcar you'd think, but I was breaking the law and probably wasn't insured most of the time I was driving it because the caravan was heavier than the CRV's Max Tow Limit.:mad:

I'm sure you've done your homework, I'd just hate for you to fall into the same trap as me.

euan
27th September 2005, 01:49 AM

I will be towing a caravan with it next year, so that will be it's real test and one of the reasons we bought it.

I was caught out with my CRV.:mad: Nice big towcar you'd think, but I was breaking the law and probably wasn't insured most of the time I was driving it because the caravan was heavier than the CRV's Max Tow Limit.:mad:

I'm suprised by that (unless the caravan is the sive of the thing SC has) - the CRV was in a road test in a magazine (can't recall which) about tow cars and they were raving about it. Interesting, I'll need to remember that if I ever need to tow anything!

The Dogfather
27th September 2005, 01:56 AM
Craig - You're right about the VW TDI engines, we had a 1.4 TDI A2 only 75bhp but it pulled like a train. They brought out a 85bhp version a year later, would have loved that for sure.

Scottie
27th September 2005, 02:44 AM
It's the 85% rule you have to remember when towing.

If you take the actual laden weight of caravan and devide by the kerb weight of the towing vehicle multiple the answer by 100.

This will give the % obviously the less it's under 85% the better the vehicle will pull the caravan.

Rav 4 5-door In production Kerb Weight KG 85% Weight KG Max Towing Weight KG
2.0 2002 1275 1084 1500
2.0 Auto 2002 1310 1114 1500
2.0 D-4D 2002 1370 1165 1500

Scottie
27th September 2005, 02:46 AM
also another thing to remember is depending on when you passed your test depends if you need to take a additional test to tow so any older folks out there that passed their test after 01.01.1997 there is restriction on what you can tow.

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 03:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan
I'm suprised by that (unless the caravan is the sive of the thing SC has) - the CRV was in a road test in a magazine (can't recall which) about tow cars and they were raving about it. Interesting, I'll need to remember that if I ever need to tow anything!

The max tow limit of my CRV was 1200kg, as it was an automatic. I could legally tow a caravan with a MTPLM up to that weight, but I was towing a caravan weighing 1300kg. 1300kg is not very high when it comes to caravan weights these days. Even SC's Lunar (A light manufacturer) Delta 640EW is 1700kg. Yikes!:eek:

SC - from what I recall the 85% is the rule adopted by the Caravan Club, although it's not law - yet. You can legally tow up to the CAR's max tow limit, but not a gramm over. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone inexperienced towing to the vehicles limit. Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek:

My CRV seemed to "pull" the caravan ok, but when I tried to stop on wet roads.... Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek:... I slid to a fairly uncontrolled stop.

Craig
27th September 2005, 03:36 AM

Craig, I really hate to think I am teaching my granny to suck eggs, but I don't recall the RAV4 being very heavy. Have you checked your kerbweights?

I'm sure you've done your homework, I'd just hate for you to fall into the same trap as me.

Yeah Andy, my Dad's van is not that heavy - about 1300KG unladen, so with a Max Towing Weight of 1500kg for the car (if I have done my Homework right...;)) should mean I am OK..

I'll obviously do my sums again before towing so that I'm the right side of the law....:eek:;):p

Scottie
27th September 2005, 04:03 AM

The max tow limit of my CRV was 1200kg, as it was an automatic. I could legally tow a caravan with a MTPLM up to that weight, but I was towing a caravan weighing 1300kg. 1300kg is not very high when it comes to caravan weights these days. Even SC's Lunar (A light manufacturer) Delta 640EW is 1700kg. Yikes!:eek:

SC - from what I recall the 85% is the rule adopted by the Caravan Club, although it's not law - yet. You can legally tow up to the CAR's max tow limit, but not a gramm over. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone inexperienced towing to the vehicles limit. Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek:

My CRV seemed to "pull" the caravan ok, but when I tried to stop on wet roads.... Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek: Yikes!:eek:... I slid to a fairly uncontrolled stop.

yip your right about the 85% rule but it is good advice and best to be followed.:) A few testing stations home and abroad has had us in for checking passed with flying colours every time:cool: seems to be getting a more frequent thing or perhaps we are on the road to much with our van.:p

Some of the outfits you see on the roads is shocking.:eek: Another is poor hitch with the bum of the caravan away in the air now that dose not make for stable towing.

Funny how the Luner is known as the leight weight van yet when you look through the mags there is only a few heavier.:D

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 04:46 AM
Yeah Andy, my Dad's van is not that heavy - about 1300KG unladen, so with a Max Towing Weight of 1500kg for the car (if I have done my Homework right...;)) should mean I am OK..

I'll obviously do my sums again before towing so that I'm the right side of the law....:eek:;):p

Craig, I'm a member of the Caravan Club and they have a service whereby I can call them with my outfit - car/caravan spec - and they can tell me if it is a suitable match or not. 'Cos it's not just car and caravan weight that needs to be taken into account. Some cars have awful vertical downward mass limits (towbar weight limit to you and I). And if this is exceeded it can be worse than having a caravan weighing too much for the car - just as SC says below!

I'll email you my mobile number and if you like I can call the Caravan Club tomorrow with your outfit details and see what they say.

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 04:49 AM
Funny how the Luner is known as the leight weight van yet when you look through the mags there is only a few heavier.:D

:eek::eek:But SC - it's a behemoth! Huge twin axle beast with a satellite mounted on the roof, microwave oven, Hotpoint washer/dryer, 42" plasma and a hot tub in the corner!:D:D:D

Scottie
27th September 2005, 05:18 AM

:eek::eek:But SC - it's a behemoth! Huge twin axle beast with a satellite mounted on the roof, microwave oven, Hotpoint washer/dryer, 42" plasma and a hot tub in the corner!:D:D:D

how did you know about the hot tub in the corner:p;):D

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 05:26 AM

how did you know about the hot tub in the corner:p;):D

At least we keep ours in our garage - we're bee and wasp fearties!:D:I:D

euan
27th September 2005, 04:24 PM
I remember seeing, a while ago now, a small two person caravan that looked like a pod. Someone reviewed it and did the test with a Mini as the tow car. I've been trying to remember who made it for a few days but for the life of me I can't - anyone know?

It was a tiny little thing, more weekend away rather than week away, unless you didn't want to be with the person you were going in it with! There is no way you could live in something that small with killing the other person after a few days.

Scottie
27th September 2005, 05:37 PM

I remember seeing, a while ago now, a small two person caravan that looked like a pod. Someone reviewed it and did the test with a Mini as the tow car. I've been trying to remember who made it for a few days but for the life of me I can't - anyone know?

It was a tiny little thing, more weekend away rather than week away, unless you didn't want to be with the person you were going in it with! There is no way you could live in something that small with killing the other person after a few days.

Could it have been a TAB. What Mini need is a detachable towbar.

euan
27th September 2005, 06:16 PM
Could it have been a TAB. What Mini need is a detachable towbar.

Your quite right! Even found the article I was looking for, thanks!

Mind you, looks pretty wee!
http://www.swiftsilver.com/photos.htm

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 07:06 PM
What Mini need is a detachable towbar.

Nowhere for a towbar on an S - even a detatchable one.:eek:

Your quite right! Even found the article I was looking for, thanks!

Mind you, looks pretty wee!
http://www.swiftsilver.com/photos.htm

Wow - cosy.:D Not much floorspace for my two dogs and my cat.:D

euan
27th September 2005, 07:15 PM

I know, I think it would bring a whole new meaning to breakfast in bed - you would hardly need to move to cook it!

AndyP & Lenore
27th September 2005, 08:51 PM

I know, I think it would bring a whole new meaning to breakfast in bed - you would hardly need to move to cook it!

Worse still...... where do you go to pee:question::eek:;)

euan
27th September 2005, 09:32 PM
Do the windows open? :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
28th September 2005, 06:07 PM

Do the windows open? :cool:

:D:D:D