PDA

View Full Version : New ideas for a roof graphic No.2

The Dogfather
24th September 2005, 07:20 AM
OK a cute one, this is with a random puppy for now but will be replaced with a similar close up photo of Elliott (border collie)

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20007/69983.jpg

Heather
24th September 2005, 06:49 PM
My tuppance.......You should do what YOU really want and then show it to everybody. As long as you love it, it should not matter what others think.

The Dogfather
24th September 2005, 07:02 PM
What spend £300 on a roof graphic and then realise I've made a huge mistake?:eek:;)

Just made a mock up with a picture of Elliott and it doesn't look right.

GAJ
24th September 2005, 07:12 PM
£300! Like you would spend that much on a graphic!!;)

Heather
24th September 2005, 07:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
Just made a mock up with a picture of Elliott and it doesn't look right.

Thats my point! YOU knew it wasn't right, and thats what matters!

The Dogfather
24th September 2005, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

I don't agree, I thought the IPOD one looked great but as KJ pointed out it would be just a huge advert, hadn't thought of that......

GAJ - £300 includes fitting its a similar cost to a BMW one.

The dog one looks too girly! However keeping with the Dog theme!

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20007/70001.jpg

duncan
24th September 2005, 07:53 PM

quote:Originally posted by Heather

I don't agree, I thought the IPOD one looked great but as KJ pointed out it would be just a huge advert, hadn't thought of that......

Why should you care what anyone else thinks though? If you like it, thats all what counts.
Use your own mind.

The Dogfather
24th September 2005, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan
Why should you care what anyone else thinks though? If you like it, thats all what counts. Use your own mind.

Thank you for your advice Duncan:mad:! Your point has already been made by Heather.

I am quite capable of using my own mind as but as I've already said I wanted to get other peoples thoughts on whether some of the ideas would work. So far KJ input has been very valuable.

duncan
24th September 2005, 08:42 PM
You wanted feed back, and you got it.

Don't just throw the toys out the cradle when your ever changing and fickle mind hears something it doesnt like.

The Dogfather
24th September 2005, 08:54 PM
Duncan, I wanted constructed comments and feedback on my ideas, not personal insults.

Now next time I ask for peoples thoughts, as I will with other modifications, please realise that I expressly don't want YOUR opinion either about the mods or me!

I'll leave it at that as if I say anymore I'll risk being censored by the mods!

duncan
24th September 2005, 09:03 PM

Duncan, I wanted constructed comments and feedback on my ideas, not personal insults.

Now next time I ask for peoples thoughts, as I will with other modifications, please realise that I expressly don't want YOUR opinion either about the mods or me!

Hmm, are you a moderator? Nope.
Its an open forum, and as such, I'll post on any subject i like.

And as for insults, where is there one?
Can you honestly say that you have never changed you mind?

I refer you to this post from Gaj, and share his thoughts:-

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

. . . I'm just a bit taken a back that people don't get it especially give the petrol prices thread . . .

Originally posted by bad dog mini - 06 Sep 2005 : 11:02:53

Well a decision has been made and the MC will be making way for a more powerful car. As the replacement is only to be used as a second car practicality is not an issue although I would expect to use the car for about 10000 miles each year so reliability is important . . . So here's the list of possibles extra marks for being a covertible

Originally posted by bad dog mini - 06 Sep 2005 : 11:48:44

What a Smart Roadster over a S2000 and a S3? :eek:
Seriously? Plus there not very fast are they and thats the only reason the MINI is going.

Originally posted by bad dog mini- 08 Sep 2005 : 13:50:

If I can pursuade Jackie it'll more than likely be a VX220, if not either Smart Roadster, MCS, TT or a slim chance of a V6 Alfa.
Trouble is I'm getting a bit fed up of all the rattles in my Cooper so not sure I want another MINI.........

That's why people don't get it!!! :approve:

And thats why i said you had an ever changing and fickle mind.

Gismo
24th September 2005, 11:02 PM

I'll leave it at that as if I say anymore I'll risk being censored by the mods!

I'm flabbergasted at the response of this :mad:
This is ridiculous, i see no personal insult from Duncan, what i DO see is a legitimate reply to a question, it shouldn't matter how many similar replies are made as this just strengthens the majority of the forum from which you seek an answer.
Should it be that if someone replies the same cannot be mentioned again, utter nonesense, in my mind the question you asked is whether it would be a good idea or not, so, it's a yes or no answer, so, only one person can answer yes and one no

I'd go as far to say that your retort to Heather was more personal than Duncan's

Try to be a bit more receptive when people respond to your ideas and heed them as they are meant to help

minidriver#1
24th September 2005, 11:20 PM
i think the best route to success is a custom roof graphic, like what i did. Think of something you really like and either come up with your own design or get someone to design it for you, that'd be truely unique. I like the resevoir dogs one... but for example i drew a graphic that could be likened too it... and i think would make an awsome roof graphic...

http://www.undergroundscene.co.uk/photopost/data/500/capone.jpg

i can do something for you if you like... i actually used that graphic in my promo for my website and also t shirt designs...

I just think something original is best :)

MartinSullivan
24th September 2005, 11:24 PM
Thats great KJ - looks fantastic and would make an awesome roof graphic.

One of my favourite roofs of all time was Rakeys Get Carter one

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/Rakey/26292.jpg

I know a lot of people are going to think its too extreme or whatever but its you that has to live with it, which is what I think Heather and some of the others were trying to say, you have to like it, doesnt matter what other people think.

minidriver#1
24th September 2005, 11:44 PM
yeah, Rakeys was well smart.

Scottie
25th September 2005, 01:32 AM
well a Scottie Dog roof graphic would be good:D:D don't you think:p;)

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry Alan I don't agree, I feel that 'ever fickle changing mind' is an insult....... Also feel telling someone to use their own mind is also belittling especially when that person has asked for help with choosing a roof graphic hence my retort to Duncan.

KJ thanks again for the pointers, I want something that'll be individual but I can live with longterm, perhaps I should tap into the MINIs heritage and rather than going for a roof graphic go for something more like>

http://www.racerchicks.com/images/auto_IM/miniMC.jpg

Rakey's was the best. BTW Rakey says his idea came from a few beers with mates, looks like alcohol could be the missing ingredient.

N12 JLK
25th September 2005, 01:51 AM
Get Carter roofs the buisness

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 02:00 AM
The Monte one is a good idea - I seem to remember you thought about this before and I emailed you a link to the guy selling the sticker pack.

Dont think you would be able to use the plates applied to the front in the UK though - which is I suspect why the Monte car was never brought out over here.

Seem to remember someone on Mini2 that the Monte decal kits were available from dealers in Germany - Si might be able to get you a set from one of his German contacts ;)

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:06 AM

Hmm, are you a moderator? Nope.
Its an open forum, and as such, I'll post on any subject i like.
Never said you couldn't post, I just said I don't want your opinions. Saves me typing 'Can everyone excluding Duncan let me know their thoughts on...........'

quote:
And as for insults, where is there one?

See comments above to Alan.

quote:
Can you honestly say that you have never changed you mind?

Can you? The decision to change the MINI was a really hard decision, as it was I decided that my original idea to buy the MINI in the first place was correct.

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

The Monte one is a good idea - I seem to remember you thought about this before and I emailed you a link to the guy selling the sticker pack.

Dont think you would be able to use the plates applied to the front in the UK though - which is I suspect why the Monte car was never brought out over here.

Thanks MS, I was actually thinking of copying the metal plates used in the actual rally, I was thinking of doing the number plates as well but with a line through them, that way they would be allowed <maybe ;)>

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 02:11 AM
Official part number for the Monte kit Part # 51-14-0-391-157 Labeled: Logos ,as I say not available through UK dealers as they are not approved for UK use due to the number plate.

This site (http://www.greystokegraphics.co.uk/screenpromini/nmrally.html) does some nice Monte decals ;)

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:12 AM
Scottie - If you ever want a Scottie graphic making up give me a shout:D

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks MS, I was actually thinking of copying the metal plates used in the actual rally, I was thinking of doing the number plates as well but with a line through them, that way they would be allowed <maybe ;)>

Yeah that would be cool - the monte kit does include the rally plates - for the bonnet and back quarters. The site I posted above does some nice rally plaque style logos too

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:15 AM
Cheers for the link Martin :D brilliant knowledge as ever.

Scottie
25th September 2005, 02:16 AM

Scottie - If you ever want a Scottie graphic making up give me a shout:D

only trouble is Allan's car will be black and a scottie is black.

Have you checked out Angus's webshot community page he has about 50 odd pictures of roof graphics.

http://community.webshots.com/album/233641180VoPEot

http://community.webshots.com/album/250313763VFtZMb

duncan
25th September 2005, 02:18 AM

Sorry Alan I don't agree, I feel that 'ever fickle changing mind' is a insult....... Also feel telling someone to use their own mind is also belittling especially when that person has asked for help with choosing a roof graphic hence my retort to Duncan.

Coming from the most abusive poster on NMS, i find this increadible.
If you dish out abuse, you have to be able to take it back.

I only said you were fickle and ever changing mind, after you decided to launch the abuse at me. And i see that you havent denied that you are, as the evidence of your previous posts are clear enough to show that this is true.

As for using your own mind, that is exactly how it was meant.
Surely the point of asking for feedback is that you would like a range of opinions. You listen you what people say, then make your minds up.
Graphics are a hugely personal thing, as has been debated infenitum on NMS. I don't think i've seen an iPod roof graphic, so it would be unique.

After only 1 reply from KJ suggesting it was may appear like an advert, you seem to give up on any further feed back for it.

If you took it to be belitiling, it says more about you, considering how you have directed comments at some of my previous posts, than how it was meant.

Scottie
25th September 2005, 02:22 AM
here are a couple of ideas I'm thinking about for Allan's Mini

but he does not know that I'm doing something. Not very big pics but you get the idea.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/img005.jpg

This picture would be the outline of Draco against the black mini roof with the stars at certain points that make up the constellation.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/images.jpg

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 02:24 AM
That looks quite cool Fiona - will look great on the car

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:26 AM
'Directed comments at your previous post' Are you saying there's a bit of history there?

KJ response was pretty damning. Perhaps I was being decisive rather than fickle for a change....

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 02:28 AM
Scottie - you could put the image of dog on a decorative background, I reckon you could do a brilliant boot logo with a cartoon style..... summat like

http://www.philip.k12.sd.us/images/scottie.gif

Scottie
25th September 2005, 02:34 AM
I've got these guys on my car and love them. Thanks to pentagon this image was taken from wrapping paper I bought years ago.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/53db927d.jpg

Craig
25th September 2005, 02:40 AM
BDM,

You say that £300 is the average cost for a roof graphic.....not in my experience. My roof graphic was only £45, granted that is only of the sunroof, but I don't see it being much more than about £100 fitted for the full thing. Let me know if you want the details of the place I used.

Craig

duncan
25th September 2005, 02:42 AM

'Directed comments at your previous post' Are you saying there's a bit of history there?

I was just casting my mind back to the comments you made previously in the speeding thread a few months back. I seem to remember you were quick enough to have a go at me then. If it wasnt, then fair enough.

quote:
KJ response was pretty damning. Perhaps I was being decisive rather than fickle for a change....

Again, fair enough, however, what if someone else had posted something equally convincing that it was a good idea?
The whole point of the forum is to stimulate debate, and seeing as at least 2 people thought you should just go with what you thought in a short time, others might too.

minidriver#1
25th September 2005, 02:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

A car with a spec like yours deserves something a little more pimp... lol

Scottie
25th September 2005, 02:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

which one the silver mini or the blak mini:p;) no more pimp for me.

minidriver#1
25th September 2005, 03:40 AM
hmm, omg you got rid of the red one?! i'm so behind the times :(

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 05:00 AM

What like a Scottie with a diamond collar.

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 05:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

BDM,

You say that £300 is the average cost for a roof graphic.....not in my experience. My roof graphic was only £45, granted that is only of the sunroof, but I don't see it being much more than about £100 fitted for the full thing. Let me know if you want the details of the place I used.

Craig

Craig, JCs quoted me £300 for one of the BMW roof graphics. The price I was quoted (£176 plus £57 fitting ex vat) was for a complete roof in in a full colour photo quality print. From recollection I think yours is single colour cut vinyl so it would be cheaper.

Scottie
25th September 2005, 05:09 AM

What like a Scottie with a diamond collar.

funny you should say that Saunders our senior scottie has such a collar.:D

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 06:12 AM
I was just casting my mind back to the comments you made previously in the speeding thread a few months back. I seem to remember you were quick enough to have a go at me then. If it wasnt, then fair enough.

Your right, about a 10 months ago I did have a go at you but you weren't alone. As I remember everyone else was having a pop at me as well so I was a little bit under pressure, not one of my better days.

I also recall that since then you've had a snipe at numerous of my posts, usually repeating what someone else has said and never really adding anything to the debate, just having a dig.

Despite your comment to the contrary, at no point have I abused or insulted you in this thread. I only do that in jest with people I like.

If you read the threads you'll find that anyone I've taken the piss out of has usually had a go back at some point, Minime, Big Col etc. Its all meant as a bit of fun. You might want to click the photo of me stood by the roadside in my signature, you soon realise I'm more than capable of being the butt of a joke.

You don't like me, I don't like you, I don't want your opinion in future so we'll leave it at that then? :)

GAJ
25th September 2005, 06:15 AM
Paul you have mail.

john
25th September 2005, 08:45 AM
How about this one Paul I think it would look cool on your roof

http://www.calorgas.co.uk/regulators/images/regulator-link-propane.jpg

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 10:27 AM

Scottie - you could put the image of dog on a decorative background, I reckon you could do a brilliant boot logo with a cartoon style..... summat like

http://www.philip.k12.sd.us/images/scottie.gif

I wanted to use that image for the sig I did for Fiona, however - and I am sure Fiona will back me up on this - it is anatomically incorrect for a Scottie Dog , its ears should not be bent like that ;) (Still thought it looked cool though :D)

PS I like Johns suggestion for a roof graphic ;)

I Want A Works
25th September 2005, 10:41 AM
My idea for a roof graphic, when I eventually get round to buying a MINI, is wither SNOOPY sitting on top of his kennel dressed as the FLYING ACE, or GARFIELD with shades on. Both just in black on white roof.

And as one of the guys at work does signs as a side line, and has done a few MINI's and Mini's in the past, I get it done quick :) and at mates rates :D

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 03:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

Lol :D

I was thinking of doing a powered by calor gas logo on the boot. Who did the graphics on the race car BTW?

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 04:04 PM
MS - Quite right, I think the dog in the picture is actually a fox terrier.

I was thinking of using a photoshop'd picture of Elliott's head close up but giving him crazy cartoon eyes, it actually looked quite good but just not right for a roof graphic.

john
25th September 2005, 08:13 PM

quote:Originally posted by john

Lol :D

I was thinking of doing a powered by calor gas logo on the boot. Who did the graphics on the race car BTW?

Most of my gaphics were done by Vinyl Cut but you would not kneed to be in a hurry,the last lot was done by Impact signs (pricey)

I think next time a trip to Inverness would be worth it;)

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 11:51 PM
Found out about a place in Banff will pop in tomorrow to see how much the full Monte set will be.

john
26th September 2005, 02:39 AM

Found out about a place in Banff will pop in tomorrow to see how much the full Monte set will be.

The Full Monte??????

Naked men:eek:

why??

What does Jackie think?:D

The Dogfather
26th September 2005, 02:54 AM
She insisted on it:D

MC40 BTW in case you missed the earlier post ;)

Lizard
1st October 2005, 03:18 AM
Whatever you decide don't spend £300 on the roof graphic. Talk to me first and I'll do you one at a fraction of the price.:)

PS. If you let me take a photo of it for my new website you can have it EVEN cheaper! Simple designs can be cut out of vinyl with my machine but photos/complicated designs will require printing and laminating with clear vinyl.. either way it's no bother.

zoot
3rd October 2005, 12:20 AM
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20685/56464.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20685/56465.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20685/56466.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20685/58001.jpg
designs in my living room....:cool:

Heather
3rd October 2005, 01:39 AM
The paws on the roof one is brilliant!

Scottie
3rd October 2005, 02:02 AM