PDA

View Full Version : The A9

Big Col
23rd September 2005, 04:25 PM
There are calls again for the A9 to be made into a dual carriageway all the way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4266782.stm

"The biggest problem is probably where it goes from single carriageway to dual carriageway," she said.

"People become extremely impatient when they get stuck behind a queue of traffic and they try to pass and overtake in inappropriate places and that's often the cause of problems ."

There should be talk about that ruddy speed camera as soon as the road breaks into a dual carriageway! The number of people I've seen slam the anchors on there in order to avoid a ticket is scary! Putting it there after people may have been stuck behind a lorry for miles is just wrong!

Julz
23rd September 2005, 04:34 PM
I blame the buses!!:p

Ah well, at least you can be safe in the knowledge that the M9/A90 spur extension is going ahead (considering I'm designing the drainage just now;)!).

euan
23rd September 2005, 05:01 PM
It's the same on the A1 and the A701 from Edinburgh south - there are speed cameras on any short straight. I used to see folk blast up alongside, slow down to the limit while they went past the camera, then blat past again. Now, this means that on a short straight you end up closer to the corner than you ever really want to be!

Ah well. Agree the A9 should be a dual all the way, it can be a horrid road if you get caught up in anything.

In saying that, around me in London there are so many roads that are dual carriageway, and I think it's still slower than the A9 on a bad day! The M25 has 4 lanes now..doesn't stop it taking me at leaat an hour to do 25 miles.

Scottie
23rd September 2005, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

There are calls again for the A9 to be made into a dual carriageway all the way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4266782.stm

"The biggest problem is probably where it goes from single carriageway to dual carriageway," she said.

"People become extremely impatient when they get stuck behind a queue of traffic and they try to pass and overtake in inappropriate places and that's often the cause of problems ."

There should be talk about that ruddy speed camera as soon as the road breaks into a dual carriageway! The number of people I've seen slam the anchors on there in order to avoid a ticket is scary! Putting it there after people may have been stuck behind a lorry for miles is just wrong!

I'm trying to think where is a speed camera at a start of a dual carriageway.

the only speed camera I can think off is the one at ballinluig putting it there I would say has saved lifes that is a terrible junction.

Big Col
23rd September 2005, 07:01 PM
It's on the way up to Inverness. It's at one of the ones where it drops to 40 I think but I've only been up the road a couple of times. If it's at an accident blackspot then I have no problem with it. It doesn't look all that dodgy a bit of road from memory though.

duncan
24th September 2005, 03:23 AM
Ballinluig is a terrible junction, numerous fatal accidents have happened there.
There needs to be a few more dual sections between Kingussie and south of Inverness to make overtaking easier, but to dual the whole road is overkill for the amount of traffic using it.

Sensible no cost options such as more freight using the railway, or prohibiting lorries at certain times as the French do would go a long way, IMHO.

Scottie
24th September 2005, 03:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Ballinluig is a terrible junction, numerous fatal accidents have happened there.
There needs to be a few more dual sections between Kingussie and south of Inverness to make overtaking easier, but to dual the whole road is overkill for the amount of traffic using it.

Sensible no cost options such as more freight using the railway, or prohibiting lorries at certain times as the French do would go a long way, IMHO.

Tesco lorries are the worse 40 mph:eek: there has been two additions of overtaking bits in both directions from dalwhinne to aviemore has taken away some of the stress on this part of the road.

duncan
24th September 2005, 05:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Tesco lorries are the worse 40 mph:eek: there has been two additions of overtaking bits in both directions from dalwhinne to aviemore has taken away some of the stress on this part of the road.

Tesco lorries are a nightmare.:mad:
Forgot about the new bits, to be honest. Good to see they are working. They were finishing them off when i last drove up to Inverness.

Scottie
24th September 2005, 07:11 AM
yeh a lot of folk go on about the A9 and it is bad last week there was two bad accidents

but the A96 seldom does a week go by but you don't here of a accident.