PDA

View Full Version : SKY BOXES

I Want A Works
22nd September 2005, 12:59 AM
I have a PACE SKY box, and although we stopped subscribing to extortionate televison service SKY 4 months ago, we still use it for the free-to-views.

Now this has happened occassionally in the past, but for the last week or so, it has taken to switcing it self off, and not letting you switch it back on till it wants to! Some times there is hours between this happening, other times there is minutes. Also the time that is is switched of for varies! Very annoying as usually hapopens when I'm watching something on BBC3, or the like!:mad:

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Craig
22nd September 2005, 01:05 AM
It's my understanding that these boxes are just like little computers and are prone to over-heating (thus the shutting down) and when they cool down, then they start to work again.

Might be worth having a wee look inside to see if there is a fan that has seized.

Other than that, a freeview box can be had for £20 to £30 only:D

Hope this helps

I Want A Works
22nd September 2005, 01:26 AM
I got a free-view box, but canna be bothered gettng the ariel ficed to get the channels.

The box does sit on top of telly, but all the vent holes are free and should have a free flow of air. The box is near 3 year old so strange it should only start to overheat now.

Gave it a blast with my air duster to see if ther is a build up of dust inside.

hogg88
22nd September 2005, 07:44 AM
quote:The box does sit on top of telly, but all the vent holes are free and should have a free flow of air

On top of TV is where you get the warmest air flow from the TV it's self.

quote:Might be worth having a wee look inside to see if there is a fan that has seized.
This would be i very good idea to do if you want to safe money.

Burple
22nd September 2005, 06:30 PM
Bear in mind that these boxes sometimes 'take over' themselves to download and upgrade their software / channels available.. it may have been that it chose some funny times to do this - although they usually do it overnight...

My Telewest was out for a couple of hours the other night, including the Broadband... :eek::eek::eek:

Didn't know what to do with myself!!
<squints at Col> :blackeye::p:D

Wul
22nd September 2005, 06:45 PM
So you squinted at Col instead.....strange boy? :p