PDA

View Full Version : Bloody car (again!!)

Julz
21st September 2005, 05:13 PM
Why oh why oh why did BMW think it a wise idea that when you spend £1400 on sat nav, you lose your engine temperature gauge!! One tiny ickle hole in a pipe results in quite a fair bit of steam I can tell you!!:mad: How did I know the engine was getting cosy and was running ever so slightly low on coolant?? The nice cloud of steam coming out from under the wheel arch that was only noticeable when I actually stopped the car!! I give up!!:mad: Is this car on self destruct just cause the warranty ran out 2 weeks ago?? I would say rant over, but I know I'm going to spend the day stomping round the office!:sleepy:

I Want A Works
21st September 2005, 05:30 PM
Count to 10 Julz, very slowly, while thinking about jumping up and down on the head of the guy at BMW who thought that!!!!:D

When u mentioned wheel arch could't help but think back to the day when my mate said he is brakes felt a bit soft. He asked me to look the the front brakes for him. He then preceeded to press the brake pedal, and I narrowly missed a mouth full of brake fluid that squirted out the hole in the pipe! :dead:
And now i think about it his, or rather his parents car, was only like a month or so out of warranty aswell!

Julz
21st September 2005, 05:41 PM
Funny that, when I originally saw the steam I actually thought it was smoke from my brakes!:dead:

bpirie1000
21st September 2005, 07:38 PM
Oh Dear Julz..
Not having a God Time of it Right now are you..

So when is the Body kit Comming off??

Back to Original.. Then whats teh plans?? keeping it Or Another one?? 2005 Model year?

MartinSullivan
21st September 2005, 07:41 PM
:( - is the car back on ebay :question:

Julz
21st September 2005, 07:45 PM
The car is back up for sale 'as is' and it's going for ridiculously low amounts of money so the Evo should hopefully be in our garage within the next month (no promises though!):sleepy::clown:

Cooper_si
21st September 2005, 09:46 PM
..sorry to hear about your woes Julz...i never thought about the water temp gauge until you just mentioned it. You have a fair point :(

MartinSullivan
21st September 2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah its very annoying and a definite design flaw - one that Julz has fallen foul of before.

Thanks to Julz I now have a water temp gauge in my car

AndyP & Lenore
22nd September 2005, 07:37 AM
We are probably going to fit the gauge kit which sits underneath the central console behind the down-pipes. At a cost of £250 odd. But you're right, a temperature gauge is essential in any car and they should have found room for it somehow, somewhere.

Julz
22nd September 2005, 04:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

We are probably going to fit the gauge kit which sits underneath the central console behind the down-pipes.

Does the kit have a water temp gauge yet? As far as I was aware the gauges were for oil temp and battery that's why I bought after market ones (obviously never fitted in my car, but looking rather nice in MS's!!;))

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2005, 04:07 PM
With a bit of help from Julz I made my own kit - a water temp gauge and a boost/vac gauge - came to a lot less than the "official" gauge kit and a lot more useful too. Also the gauges are a good match for the other gauges in the car - unlike the official ones I have seen.

Scottie
22nd September 2005, 05:21 PM
or you could just buy a new mini with Chrono Pack. I'm sure Minime could help out.

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2005, 05:25 PM
Standard cars have the temp gauge - it was just us sat nav owners that they decided to leave up a creek without a paddle

craigcooperSworks
22nd September 2005, 06:09 PM
I was most miffed when i bought my car and discovered there was no temp gauge... i have looked into buying the gauge set up from BMW but have also noticed this doesn't get round this issue.
Mr sullivan- i may have to talk to you and see what gauges you have and how they are fitted!!;)

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2005, 06:12 PM
Craig - no probs at all ;) Installation was fairly straightforward. I had to fabricate a piece for the temperature sender , mine is a bit rough and ready but works, I could probably do a neater job for someone else

craigcooperSworks
22nd September 2005, 06:14 PM
Soopa! I'm away this weekend but i'll talk to you when i get back early next week about it.

Cheers Grant lol :D

MartinSullivan
27th September 2005, 05:09 PM
Craig - here is a pic of the gauges installed , pretty good match for the standard gauges (unlike the BMW kit) and even the illumination is pretty close. If you nip round one night Ill show you whats involved in installing them. I have Boost and Water Temp, as having the BMW Sat Nav means you dont get a water temp gauge, just a warning light that comes on about 2 seconds before a big cloud of steam.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/MartinSullivan/NMS%20Stuff/gauges.jpg

Julz
27th September 2005, 07:38 PM
Very nice Martin!!;):D

MartinSullivan
27th September 2005, 07:44 PM
Cheers Julz, I must have good taste LOL ;)