PDA

View Full Version : Feck

euan
20th September 2005, 05:10 PM
Some woman ran into the back of the car last night.....

Nothing too bad, smacked the rear bumper which is reasonably arsed, and the parking sensors don't all work. Still neck this morning though.

She had steering controls as she was in a wheelchair (not while driving - just before someone says anything!) and as I'd had to brake to avoid the car in front I wonder if the reaction time was not as good as it would be just slamming your feet into the carpet.

Ah well, off to get a quote from the bodyshop before calling the insurance company...

bpirie1000
20th September 2005, 05:20 PM
Not So Good.. Hope you Get it Sorted Out Quickly..

N12 JLK
20th September 2005, 09:04 PM
:(:disapprove::(:disapprove::sleepy:

MartinSullivan
20th September 2005, 09:28 PM
Time to get rid and buy another mini me thinks Euan - its a sign I tell ya ;)

euan
20th September 2005, 09:44 PM
Well I've been to BMW and the car isn't too bad. New bumper, new bumper reinforcement, new clips and a new parking sensor. Get this - a parking sensor in black costs 40 quid. A parking sensor painted in body colour? 70 quid. 30 quid for a bit of paint on something the size of a 10p!!!! No wonder BMW can afford a F1 team!

On the upside, it looks like I'll be in a mini while it gets fixed though :cool: That may actually hurt more than my neck does at the moment, giving the mini back!

gill
21st September 2005, 12:18 AM
Not lucky! Hope you get it all fixed soon!:)

Wul
21st September 2005, 12:39 AM
<coughclaimsdirectcough>:p

hope all gets sorted ok Euan!

Big Col
21st September 2005, 04:05 PM
Awwww that sucks man! :(

euan
26th September 2005, 10:49 PM
Need some advice peeps. I got a call from the insurance people this morning saying that the other party accepted full responsability for the accident and that I'd be ok to get the thing paid for (no, really? could have told you that). What she said next knocked me back though. If I get my car done through their bodyshop they will waive the excess and I won't pay anything, but if I chose to use BMW then I'll have to pay the excess.

Is this not against some law or other? I wouldn't really mind too much but the other bodyshop is further away from the house, and the car they'll give me is a blooming Micra. BMW would give me like for like, or a MINI if I wanted. Plus, it's a BMW dealer working on a BMW, which makes me a bit happier.

Any thoughts? Can they make me use their bodyshop and if i chose not to, charge me my excess?

The Dogfather
26th September 2005, 11:08 PM
I take it that it was her insurance company that got in touch (or an agency working on their behalf). They do this to keep their own costs down, as your insurance company will charge them for admin costs.

Tell them that if they won't allow you to use BMW you'll go through you're own insurance company, they'll probably back down. Either way you won't be out of pocket as you'll be able to claim the excess back from her, plus any out of pocket expenses such as taxi fares etc.

minidriver#1
26th September 2005, 11:15 PM
you need to get it done by a BMW approaved garage otherwise you can say bye bye to your paint warranty.

euan
26th September 2005, 11:30 PM
BDM - it was my insurance company that got in touch with me, and it's them that's saying I have to use their bodyshop or I'll have to pay the excess.

KJ - good point, hadn't thought of that.

So, where does that leave me? Can I get onto my insurance lot and tell them to let me use my own lot and tell them to claim it back from her?

Gismo
26th September 2005, 11:32 PM
I assume you have notified your own insurer of the accident and that the caller was the other driver's insurance??
If so, then your car is fixed and you pay the excess, your insurer then claims the excess back from the other drivers insurance and you get your money back
Long winded, but, you get your monay back

The Dogfather
26th September 2005, 11:33 PM
Euan - Go ahead and use BMW, you have to pay your excess but you'll be able to claim that back from her insurance company.

euan
26th September 2005, 11:51 PM
right, I think I need to call my insurance company, as that's not what they said to me at all.

BS - the caller was MY insurance company, I'd already told them about it and this was them saying that they were happy to procede.

euan
27th September 2005, 12:08 AM
Well a HUGE thank you to you guys!

I had to press my point and if I hadn't known what you guys had said to me the car would have ended up with a ford bodyshop!

So, off to BMW it'll go with an ickle MINI for me for a few days.

Thanks again, don't know what I'd do without you lot sometimes!

Wul
27th September 2005, 01:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Probably get a lot more work done!! :D:evil::p;):cool::clown:

euan
27th September 2005, 01:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by euan

Probably get a lot more work done!! :D:evil::p;):cool::clown:

Now there's an interesting thought :cool: