PDA

View Full Version : Dastek Conversion DONE!

Adam MCS
20th September 2005, 12:18 AM
Just had my cooper s converted to roughly 205bhp thanks to Dastek (their rolling road was broken so don't know exact power figures)! Its certainly a lot quicker, the increase in torque is probably the most notable change. Also, instead of the supercharger whining, it now screams when you give it some beans:D. Slightly dissapointed I couldn't make my friend in his old style civic type R eat my dust however!

On the down side, my traction control has decided to kick the bucket, as whenever I put some pressure on it, it just switches off. Also a light has come on saying my vehicle emissions are below standard or something? I assume these faults are due to the conversion so I'm away down to Dastek at some point again. Has anyone else had similar problems?

MartinSullivan
20th September 2005, 12:23 AM
What else did they include in the conversion on top of the map.

Have never had problems with emissions or traction control with any of the cars I have done.

My fault code reader should arrive this week - so you could bring it round to me and I can see if we can find out anymore info from the ECU

Adam MCS
20th September 2005, 12:40 AM
The supercharger pulley was reduced by 15% and a K&N typhoon kit was put on. Paul at Dastek said he hadn't heard of any of these problems either. That would be really handy with the fault code reader, where abouts are you?

P.S My friend said you waved at him at the weekend in town, blue mini cooper s with silver viper stripes!

MartinSullivan
20th September 2005, 12:56 AM
I am in the centre of town - west end. Will give you a shout when it arrives and I'll do my best to help you out.

I tend to wave at any Minis I see, so he is probably right LOL

craigcooperSworks
20th September 2005, 02:26 AM
Think that was me, i waved at a guy in a mini fitting that description on Friday i think.

I was in my dark silver mini.:cool:

Craig

AndyP & Lenore
22nd September 2005, 06:47 AM
Hi Adam,

We had our Cooper S Auto converted by Dastek in May this year.:D

Fully agree with your initial observations re: extra torque and the lovely supercharger scream.:D

I'm not sure how they mapped your car without the rolling road as they told me they map every car individually - on the rolling road.....:question:

I've heard of people having problems with the traction control light coming on after conversion. It seems some sensor in the engine detects too high an output so shuts the engine down (which is one of the features of the traction control system).:disapprove: I don't really know what the fix is, sorry.:I You can tell I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm just adding my tuppenceworth.:I:D:I

The Cooper S Auto has an inherent fault with the emissions system which gives false alarms, but these are - for the most part - appearing on cars in the south of the USA in hot and humid environments. That said, the light came on in our own car in the summer, on a very hot and humid day. However if your car is a manual, I guess the above is irrelevant too.

However, as soon as we started the car to leave the Dastek yard the emissions light came on.:eek: I shut the engine off, went back in and a technician took our car away to check it over.:( They reset the fault log and the light went out.:) Aside from the above instance on the hot day, the light has never come back on since.:D

AndyP

MartinSullivan
22nd September 2005, 04:11 PM
As Andy just mentioned there is a known fault with the traction control and high boost pressure - even some works cars show signs of this - having re read your description of the fault this could be what you are experiencing, when my code reader arrives we should be able to investigate further.

My car experiences much higher boost pressure than you will be recording in your set up and I have never had a problem.

MartinSullivan
23rd September 2005, 07:51 PM
Adam - package just landed on my desk with my fault code reader in it ;)

Give me a shout if you want me to have a look at your car.

colink
25th September 2005, 06:28 AM
I've got the GTT 220 upgrade and regularly get traction control light and emissions sensor when I really boot it. Aparantly both are known bugs in the tuning world. The emissions sensor is hyper sensitive, but resets after a couple of ignition recycles. Same story with the tracs light - it gets a bit confused/shocked at all that juice and blinks in surprise! Neither are anything to worry about, just colourful little distractions to remind you you're caning it :D:evil:

As part of the GTT ECU upgrade, the traction control settings are actually softened slightly and is a big improvement over standard.

AndyP & Lenore
25th September 2005, 07:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by colink

As part of the GTT ECU upgrade, the traction control settings are actually softened slightly and is a big improvement over standard.

A prime example of the fact that GTT have been in the (MINI) game much longer than Dastek.

Still love the Dastek conversion though.:D

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 10:24 AM
The GTT conversion uses the MTH remaps - same as I am running in my car. My car is essentially a DIY GTT car + Plus quite a bit ;). We could actually do something similar for your conversion Adam. Let me have a look at it first though - just to check there is nothing more untoward going on - its all conjecture till I can see whats driving the light ;)

Cooper_si
25th September 2005, 05:03 PM
GTT dont use MTH anymore...i think from July, not sure who they use now.
MTH have been around for 20 years ;)

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 07:31 PM
Oooh thats news to me - cheers for that Si ;)

Adam MCS
25th September 2005, 11:30 PM
I do like the idea of getting more power...Thanks Martin, that would be great if you could look at my car. I'm starting uni this week but have most of wed off and friday off (or whatever days are best with you, I'm pretty flexible being a uni bum). My mob is 07921***** if you fancy givin me a shout to arrange somethin. I was just reading you can get a 200bhp conversion up to 220bhp pretty easily with the chip. Is that right?

Edited to remove Adams mobile number ;)

MartinSullivan
25th September 2005, 11:37 PM
Adam, any evening is fine with me - whatever fits in best with your busy social life LOL :D Ill send you a txt and we can take it from there. We can also chat about what else you can do to the car

MartinSullivan
29th September 2005, 06:04 PM
Adam, sent you an email with my contact details - sorry I havent been in touch, been busy