PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Disc Corrosion

ELFMAN
18th September 2005, 08:09 AM
G3 ELF going in to Dealer next week to have back discs & pads replaced.

I had a 'clicking' sound from the near-side back wheel last (started just before Craig's Argyll & Bute Circle Run) month and jacked the car up to check it out - couldn't see anything, but found off-side back wheel wasn't rotating freely. Booked into dealer, with 'spec sheet' telling them of noise & sticky wheel and suggesting MIGHT be rust on disc. (I live close to work so the car doesn't do big miles and is just getting to 9K - it'll be 2 yrs old in Dec. and obviously the fronts do most of the work). They replaced the O/S rear calliper and a handbrake gaiter which was apparently split. They couldn't hear the noise, or find anything else. I was worried in case it was a wheel bearing or something potentially hazardous. Work was done under warranty F.O.C.

Needless to say when I got the car back, the 'clicking' was still there, so I phoned them straight back and told them I'd bring it in after my Hols. Took it back this week and service chap came out for a road test - heard the noise and put car up on the ramps..... and sussed the corrosion in 5 minutes. How they missed it the first time (and the noise) baffles me. Anyway, they're putting the job through as a 'Goodwill' category - so I get the discs done F.O.C. :) which is good, but I'll probably be paying for the pads.

Not complaining about the dealer (Douglas Park MINI, Hamilton), as they've always been very attentive and got the wee road test sorted out at 15 mins notice.

Has anybody else had rear disc problems, or having clicking/chafing from the back wheels? I remember Duncan mentioning rear brake probs with his first COOPER a while back. It'd be interesting to find out if this is a recurring problem. Over to you, folks! And have a look at your rear brakes!

duncan
18th September 2005, 06:11 PM
Ahh, the old rear caliper/disc problem rears its head again!

I had the caliper/disc on the rear drivers side replaced under warranty, so your joining an exclusive club now, Euan!

Duncan Stewart
19th September 2005, 03:06 AM
Yup. My last Cooper had pads / discs / calipers replaced on the rear due to sticking rear calipers, but not before I had been made to pay for a new set of rear pads as the fault was not properly sussed the first time!
Not due to low mileage - I do 20K a year

ELFMAN
19th September 2005, 10:00 PM
Cheers guys,
Seems a bit of a common thread.... All the info we get on stuff like this is ammunition for anyone else with similar probs in the future. Or in the past if you have a Time Machine....

Anyone else want to join the 'Corrosion Club'? For cars and/or your physical state.

ELFMAN
23rd September 2005, 09:32 PM
New Discs on, F.O.C., car washed @ dealer - service spot on........STILL CLICKING! AAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH!

Back to the drawing board.

Burple
23rd September 2005, 10:19 PM
Just a query... what wheels do you have?
They're not R90s or any other split rim are they?

Just remembering other peoples issues with clicky wheels...

ELFMAN
7th October 2005, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I've been away. I'm running (see info above!) MINILITE 7x16's with the 195/55 Runflats.

As far as I can see, there's nothing rubbing, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Julz
7th October 2005, 10:26 PM
I had corrosion on my rear discs too, and they are the drilled jobbies from Alta, but it's the standard calipers and pads! Took them to an engineering type bod who sorted them out for me!;):D