PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Exhaust Mod! [:D]

The Dogfather
17th September 2005, 07:15 AM
I currently have a MCS exhaust fitted to my Cooper but as I'm about to have the car converted to LPG I had to make some room under the car for the pipe running to the filler point. (This will be mounted on the rear bumper to allow me to fill up from either side)

In order to free up some space I've had one of the two back boxes on the exhaust removed. normally the pipe goes from the centre of the car over to the box on the right hand side then across to the box on the left side were it splits into two and out to the rear bumper.

On the newly modified exhaust Turriff Tyres have welded a section of stainless steel pipe to run straight from the centre of the car into the left hand side box doing away with the RHD box. Great workmanship BTW!

As a result the car is slightly louder, has more burble and is obviously a wee bit lighter. The cost for this £60. Added to the recent addition of the air filter the car now sounds great.

I'll post some pictures as tomorrow as it was too dark to take photos by the time I got back from 'road testing' :D:cool::D

MartinSullivan
17th September 2005, 08:01 AM
This is quite a common MCS mod - check up on the "one ball exhaust" over on Mini2.

The Dogfather
17th September 2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks MS not sure mine will sound the same as a pukka S though :D

T6 KFR
17th September 2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Bad Dog, what engine mods have you carried out then?

I didnt realise you could fit a standard MCS centre exhaust to our coopers. Where did you buy it, and was any underfloor mods needed for hanging it?

Ive been looking into a Jetex centre exhaust that supplies u the replacement apron for bottom of bumper.

The Dogfather
18th September 2005, 12:01 AM
It needs a few mods to fit it, Turriff Tyres fitted mine. They have a new S exhaust that looks like its waiting to be fitted in the tyre bay. I've got the full cooper S bumpers etc all courtesy of a very nice lady in Muir of Ord :D

Engine wise I've only fitted an air filter but next week the MINI will be going in for an LPG conversion which will be the most drastic engine mod on NMS (waits to be corrected;)).

Cooper_si
19th September 2005, 04:58 PM
...and from personal experience...it flys !! ...even keeping up with the S`s on the twisty bits :D

craigcooperSworks
19th September 2005, 06:13 PM
I'll second that... BDM's cooper is very quick round the twisties.;)

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 06:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
Engine wise I've only fitted an air filter but next week the MINI will be going in for an LPG conversion which will be the most drastic engine mod on NMS (waits to be corrected;)).

I guess it is the most tragic drastic engine mod on NMS , but most people mod to get more power ;)

Scottie
19th September 2005, 06:34 PM
why put a LPG conversion in a Mini I will never know:blackeye::p how long will it take to re "coop";) the money. Is this the first conversion to be done in Scotland:question:

I mean it's not exactly a gas guzzler now is it.

I'd a thought if you wanted to keep running costs down you should have kept her stock.

Saving you a heap of money between mods and conversion = more money in your pocket for the period that you own the car.

Big Col
19th September 2005, 07:01 PM
He's English Fi. Say no more.

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 07:09 PM
Fi, the little bugger is v.thirsty the way I drive it :D it managed 27mpg yesterday. However I usually get 30 mpg.

Given that I do 15000 miles a year in the MINI it'll pay itself back in 18 months. I intend to keep it for 4 years at least so in that period I will save £3200 taking in to account the cost of the conversion and 10% less mileage on gas. As a result the MINI will be cheaper to run than a Smart Car or a 1.4 Tdi A2.

The savings on the Omega are far higher at 22mpg. Steve's just done a 6 litre Dodge Ram V8 http://www.sbautogas.co.uk/recent_conversions/pictures/Dodge%20Ram/dodgeram1.gif

Which now is cheaper to run than a standard MINI Cooper :eek:

Martin, power loss is neglible, Omega lost 0.3 secs seconds to 60 on gas (9.5 vs 9.2), and I can switch back to petrol by pressing a button on the dashboard. Remember it's DUAL FUEL!

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 07:12 PM
Yesterday jaunt to the Cairngorms cost me £35 in fuel, the same trip in the converted car will cost £16.

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 07:27 PM
I realise power loss is negligible and that it is DUAL FUEL , but it is not a "performance" modification which is what most people would be looking for - that is all I meant in my post.

You are obviously sold on the idea - which is great, but you will have to live with the stick that people are going to give you.

You can borrow my gtech if you want to do some tests on the 0-60 times etc on gas and on petrol

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry if that came across as arguementative MS, not my intention.:I

I'm just a bit taken a back that people don't get it especially give the petrol prices thread.

I would love to borrow your kit to see how performance compares BTW:D

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 07:39 PM
BTW it is a performance mod, I'd be driving a MINI One D instead if we hadn't gone for the conversion ;)

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 07:44 PM
No probs Paul ;)

Give us a shout when you want to borrow the Gtech :D its in the back of the car

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 07:47 PM

BTW it is a performance mod, I'd be driving a MINI One D instead if we hadn't gone for the conversion ;)

I thought you were on your way to get a Subaru when you decided to do the lpg mod - so really thats what you would be driving ;) which would have been a performance mod

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 08:21 PM
Martin, what it comes down to is we have 2 cars Omega and MINI at the moment the Omega cost a lot less to drive than the MINI so the Omega gets driven more. :(

However I want to keep the mileage down on the Omega so we need a cheaper to run second car, so hence the decision to change. As any car doing at least 20mpg would be OK I was able to look at really fast cars such as the Scooby, VX220 etc.

However I really love the MINI and when push came to shove I couldn't change it hence the reason why I'm converting to gas.

GAJ
19th September 2005, 08:46 PM

. . . I'm just a bit taken a back that people don't get it especially give the petrol prices thread . . .

Originally posted by bad dog mini - 06 Sep 2005 : 11:02:53

Well a decision has been made and the MC will be making way for a more powerful car. As the replacement is only to be used as a second car practicality is not an issue although I would expect to use the car for about 10000 miles each year so reliability is important . . . So here's the list of possibles extra marks for being a covertible

Originally posted by bad dog mini - 06 Sep 2005 : 11:48:44

What a Smart Roadster over a S2000 and a S3? :eek:
Seriously? Plus there not very fast are they and thats the only reason the MINI is going.

Originally posted by bad dog mini- 08 Sep 2005 : 13:50:

If I can pursuade Jackie it'll more than likely be a VX220, if not either Smart Roadster, MCS, TT or a slim chance of a V6 Alfa.
Trouble is I'm getting a bit fed up of all the rattles in my Cooper so not sure I want another MINI.........

That's why people don't get it!!! :approve:

Crombers
19th September 2005, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigcooperSworks

I'll second that... BDM's cooper is very quick round the twisties.;)

All Coopers are quick round the twisties :p;).
Modded 'S' (pulley & exhaust) on this years Cullen driven by a very enthusiastic young driver could not reel me in :approve:

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 08:55 PM
Gaj - I thought I wanted a more powerful car, I have since changed my mind having driven a few. As for the rattles I'll be ripping the interior out after the conversion to fix any caused by me and to the dealers for the others.......

BTW my comment re 'not getting it' refered to the fact I'm swapping to gas not the fact I'm sticking with my MINI.

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 09:07 PM
Im still confused - ok by your admission on a fairly hard drive yesterday your mpg dropped to 27 , you then say that

As any car doing at least 20mpg would be OK I was able to look at really fast cars such as the Scooby, VX220 etc.

so the Mini even on petrol is well within your quoted 20mpg - so why mess with a winning formula :question:

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 09:11 PM
MS, sorry no 20mpg on LPG is as cheap to run as 44mpg on unleaded :) so 27 is 59.4.

All of the cars I considered would have been converted to gas.

LPG is 2.4 times cheaper than unleaded but you lose 10% due to having a lower calorific value.

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 09:17 PM
LOL - I'm glad you are happy with it ;)

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 09:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

LOL - I'm glad you are happy with it ;)

I am!

Listen, I'm very sorry for causing all this confusion :evil: and I do feel very guiltly that on the next MINI run I'll be slightly slower than I am now. I will do my best to keep up! Promise!
:p;)

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 09:29 PM
Right can we get back on topic now, bloomin' mods!;)

Exhaust sounds good doesn't it:question:

MartinSullivan
19th September 2005, 09:35 PM
I couldnt hear your exhaust for the sound of mine ;) sorry mate LOL

Yes the exhaust did sound good actually , the one ball is a good mod and on an S does free up a few extra BHP as well as giving a pleasant improvement in exhaust note.

Anyone around Abz with an S would be well advised to get it done - especially as BDM has now found a good place that are prepared to do it at a very reasonable price

The Dogfather
19th September 2005, 09:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I couldnt hear your exhaust for the sound of mine ;) sorry mate LOL

I couldn't hear my exhaust over yours when you where 400 yards in front!

euan
20th September 2005, 06:12 PM
I'd love to see what Martins car is like - it sounds awesome.

I wish I'd thought of doing the one ball thing to my S. Well, that and a remap. And maybe a filter :cool:

Oh bugger, you lot will have me back in a MINI soon!

MartinSullivan
20th September 2005, 06:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
Oh bugger, you lot will have me back in a MINI soon!

Minime - quick move in for the kill, we have weakened him for you ;)

Euan - next time you are in Abz give me a shout and Ill take you for a spin

The Dogfather
20th September 2005, 06:41 PM
Minime can sense blood in the water at over 15 miles, or is that a shark? Same thing, I guess!

euan
20th September 2005, 07:45 PM
Stop it! I'm weak willed! :)

Martin, cheers for the offer, will be up there in October/November time, so will let you know - Many thanks!