PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used mini- What to look for?

philthy
14th September 2005, 04:48 PM
Im wanting to buy a used mini one and want to know what to look out for?
I have about 7.5k-8k to spend and It doesnt matter about the wheels, they will be swapped almost straight away:D

is there any problems i should look for in early minis, ie: 2002 models?

Any advice is appreciated

Wul
14th September 2005, 05:06 PM
Early models suffered from a steering wheel bearing problem and the part leather sports seats were prone to "creaking". Also the very early models had a left pull on the steering.

All of these issues should have been sorted under the warranty by now though. Also the early models had particularly rattly interior trim/dash but that's just something you get used to in a MINI and the fun factor soon outweighs that! :)

philthy
14th September 2005, 05:51 PM
perfect, il ask if they are fixed under warranty

Gismo
14th September 2005, 06:11 PM
Also, check the tyre wear on the insides of both front tyres, if the car still suffers from the left pull the tyre wear will be noticeable.
If the tyres are brand new then that should be questioned

Also, if it has an aero kit check for severe stone chip damage on the front

john
14th September 2005, 08:46 PM
It may also b worth checking the Reg Doc to make sure it did not belong to anyone here:D

bpirie1000
14th September 2005, 08:53 PM
Or To Check the document make sure it says it is a mini and not a rover.........

Hee hee Apart from that long list off things it'll be fine...

Burple
14th September 2005, 10:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

It may also b worth checking the Reg Doc to make sure it did not belong to anyone here:D

..especially if it's Silver!!! :D:D:D:p:p:p:p

philthy
14th September 2005, 11:03 PM
okay im looking at a silver one now!! whats the story behind that?

MartinSullivan
14th September 2005, 11:09 PM
Philthy - dont worry about it, they are just winding each other up. John races a Silver Cooper and owned another one before that which was never raced or rallyed ;)

Crombers
14th September 2005, 11:12 PM
Nowt wrong with silver at all :approve: (mind you I did'ny have to check the previous owner ;).

Only jesting , if any problems had occured they would have been sorted out under warranty :)