PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Prices

Craig
20th August 2005, 12:43 AM
Now that we are very close to a £1 litre - think we will have a wee comp for the lowest and highest price for petrol. Give details of what grade and where (must be recent - it within the last week)

Lowest - 95 Unleaded 86.9p from Tesco or Asda in Cumbernauld.

Craig

Mini Me
20th August 2005, 01:14 AM
Fuel card,aint got a clue :p

The Dogfather
20th August 2005, 02:23 AM
37.9 LPG Asda in Aberdeen (MINI may soon be gas powered!);)

3GGG
20th August 2005, 03:15 AM
Asda in Dunfermline were giving you free Diesel if you bought unleaded petrol last week. :eek::mad::dead:

They didn't discover until a day later - big compo claims. :blackeye:

Fortunately we didn't use them, though I have to admit I have at least once in the past. :I

colink
20th August 2005, 03:17 AM
95.9 for regular unleaded in Kyle :eek:

97.9 for Optimax in Doune :eek::eek:

Only use Shell so don't check for low prices :D

Scottie
20th August 2005, 05:22 AM
well e'mmm i noticed pump price inverness 99.90 bp diesel ultimate.

not that i pay that:p

worse than that though bit off topic but anyone have oil fired central heating how much has that gone up :eek::eek::eek: at the moment 36.00 p.p.l almost doubled in the last 4 years so 1000 lites (210 gallons) would be £360.00 + vat now that's bad.

Mini Me
20th August 2005, 06:42 AM
Here SC, are you no in charge of this ?????....:p

Scottie
20th August 2005, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Here SC, are you no in charge of this ?????....:p

who me sssshhhhhh:eek: couldn't comment :)

graeme stockton
20th August 2005, 07:24 AM
1.09 in tobermory last week

The Dogfather
20th August 2005, 07:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by graeme stockton

1.09 in tobermory last week

World's gone mad! :(:mad:

lightbody
20th August 2005, 10:06 PM
I'm in the luxurious position of only having to drive at the weekend for fun but when i was co-running a small business 2 years ago the fuel prices were already causing havoc.

90.9 at my local Morrisons and I think thats the cheapest around here (Glasgow West End).

One good thing though - its going to make people all over the world think about fuel economy and even the airlines, which still amazingly pay no fuel tax at all, will have to see about making their planes more efficient... it also may end the ludicrous situation where its cheaper to fly to London than to take the (greener) train...

hogg88
21st August 2005, 07:48 PM
quote:Only use Shell so don't check for low prices

I try to as well, as i find i get better performance and economy with optimax. BP's equivelent is very good as well.

colink
21st August 2005, 10:24 PM
Had a nightmare trying to find Optimax/super unleaded on our recent tour of the West Coast. Ended up resorting to regular unleaded before discovering that the Esso in Broadford on skye has super and I hadn't seen it. Doh!

Defo run better on Super tho. Just a shame its sooo darned expensive. :(

duncan
21st August 2005, 11:54 PM
Actually Super Unleaded isnt that much more expensive than it was in the mid 90's when it was at least 10p per litre more then normal.

To be honest, Fuel prices may be a lot higher, but other costs arent rising, infact some sectors prices are lowering, so although it may cost you more to get to the shops, It costs you less when you get there!

colink
22nd August 2005, 12:22 AM
Good point Duncan, although I wish my wife could find the cheaper products when she gets to the shops :D

Fontal
29th August 2005, 07:07 PM
Fuel prices 95 ron unleaded cheapest 96.4p a ltr dearest 102.8p a ltr and both garages are in Lerwick Shetland

markyc
31st August 2005, 01:14 AM
Still can't beat Cumbernauld Tesco Express - 95.9 when i was in on Sunday :eek::D

Why is it so cheap there, is there something we don't know :question::question:

Over to you Lesley12 :)

I Want A Works
31st August 2005, 06:06 AM
I know not quite the same, but as I own a diesel..........

92.9 ASDA Porhlethen
96.9 Tesco Inverness
95.9 Skaich Services A9
99.9 THURSO

7.1% difference between Thurso and Aberdeen

Big Col
31st August 2005, 04:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by colink

Good point Duncan

<blinks> EH? It is not it's a crap point! So because other things aren't increasing in price or are getting cheaper then it's ok for you to get ripped off on petrol? I never knew the cost of petrol was conrolled by the cost of Morrison's tinned tuna! I hope they don't have a 3 for 2 promotion anytime soon or petrol will go up to £1.50.

Also since shopping trips only make up about 3% of my car use I hope my work will drop the cost of a king size twix in the vending machines otherwise I'm still being ripped off. As for the visits to my parents, well they better start coughing up some cash for my visits or they're just going to get an email every 2 weeks!

By the way...99.9p for BP Ultimate this morning! Hence the above rant. :)

GAJ
31st August 2005, 05:50 PM
Colin, thats pish man! Duncan's point is totally valid. Just cos something goes up in price does not mean that you are being ripped off. There are lots of reasons that have pushed up the price of petrol but ripping off big col isn't one of the major ones. I presume you don't really think that the price of petrol is directly linked to the cost of a tin of fish and you are being deliberately obtuse.
The RPI is falling so Duncan is right, you are wrong so there!:p

Julz
31st August 2005, 05:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Also since shopping trips only make up about 3% of my car use

Do what I do!!! www.tesco.com ;)

Scottie
31st August 2005, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Actually Super Unleaded isnt that much more expensive than it was in the mid 90's when it was at least 10p per litre more then normal.

To be honest, Fuel prices may be a lot higher, but other costs arent rising, infact some sectors prices are lowering, so although it may cost you more to get to the shops, It costs you less when you get there!

well back in the 90's Super Unleaded price was 65.65ppl that was on 13/03/1999 + VAT so that would equal a pump price of 77.14ppl.

So that means in a period of 6 years the price has increased by 22.76ppl. So in every 50 litres fill it is costing you today more by £11.38.

Apart from the Highlands and by that I mean north of Inverness and the Islands the next most expensive place for petrol is the filling stations in Grangemouth right on the refinery doorstep and this has always been the case. I can however only speak for BP stations.:D

Well that kept me busy this morning going back to the 90's think I have a look at the 80's now.:p

Scottie
31st August 2005, 06:37 PM
back on the 03/01/1991 the price of 4* (do you remember that) was 41.71pp. including vat which was 15.00% at that time.

Unleaded was 39.12ppl. including vat on the 03/01/1991.

duncan
31st August 2005, 06:39 PM
Col, Petrol Prices are rising for many reasons, the insecurity of the oil fields in the Gulf being the main one, another Hurricane Katrina (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4199584.stm), plus the booming demand from Asian markets.
The financial markets are clear on one thing, they don't like uncertainty, hence the price rises.

The duty on fuel is now, as a percentage, less than it was during the refinery blockades, when the main point was the great fuel rip off. You'll see the effects of these rises greater in the US where the duty is less.

The main point of the cost of oil is that it is now cheaper than it was in relative terms than it was in the 80's Source:- BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3582662.stm)

With reference to your tinned tuna, despite the fact that its more costly to deliver the tuna to the store, and no doubt catch it in the first place, the RPI is such that it costs less in real terms than it did 15 years ago.

The same goes for other items, and is why the "Bra Wars" with China is particuarly important, as the supply of cheap clothing/goods is helping the prices stay low.

duncan
31st August 2005, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

well back in the 90's Super Unleaded price was 65.65ppl that was on 13/03/1999 + VAT so that would equal a pump price of 77.14ppl.

So that means in a period of 6 years the price has increased by 22.76ppl. So in every 50 litres fill it is costing you today more by £11.38.

Apart from the Highlands and by that I mean north of Inverness and the Islands the next most expensive place for petrol is the filling stations in Grangemouth right on the refinery doorstep and this has always been the case. I can however only speak for BP stations.:D

Well that kept me busy this morning going back to the 90's think I have a look at the 80's now.:p

That would be based on how much its risen by now, compared with your earnings in the 90's. If you factor in how much you earn now, then the rise will be less in real terms.

aimee_s
31st August 2005, 06:45 PM
so why is it that Americans pay about 50cents per gallon and were £3?? im not tryin to stir up a great debate here, just asking :)

Scottie
31st August 2005, 06:47 PM

That would be based on how much its risen by now, compared with your earnings in the 90's. If you factor in how much you earn now, then the rise will be less in real terms.

not really bothered but Duncan there is a lot more goes on with the price of fuel than you realise. Take today for instance over night the price of Unleaded has jumped up by 4.91ppl but we not passing that on stations. I could go on the explain a few other wee things but I better stop don't want to loose my job now do I.:D

duncan
31st August 2005, 06:53 PM

not really bothered but Duncan there is a lot more goes on with the price of fuel than you realise. Take today for instance over night the price of Unleaded has jumped up by 4.91ppl but we not passing that on stations. I could go on the explain a few other wee things but I better stop don't want to loose my job now do I.:D

Of course there is lots going on behind the scenes that you'll have an insight into that no-one else will, and no-one is asking you to divulge either, job security is very important.

OK, so your not really bothered to work out the relative terms, and to be honest, i'm not either, however I know i don't earn the same as i did in 1999, and thats just annual pay awards. So i know that the 20ppl rise is offset my my pay rises in the last 6 years. To what amount, is the key question.

duncan
31st August 2005, 06:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

so why is it that Americans pay about 50cents per gallon and were £3?? im not tryin to stir up a great debate here, just asking :)

Its slightly more than 50 cents now.
Closer to $2.50 (http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_home_page.html) now.

Big Col
31st August 2005, 08:50 PM
Hmmm...it seems my point has flew over a couple of heads. Of course I don't think that the cost of canned fish is in any way liked to the cost of petrol. I was saying exactly the opposite. I wasn't being obtuse I was being facetious and was trying to say that paying less for shopping doesn't make me feel any better about spiralling fuel costs as I don't think the reduction in one compensates for the increase in the other. I wasn't saying the facts in Duncan's post were incorrect. I was saying that one fact had no bearing on the other.

duncan
31st August 2005, 09:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Hmmm...it seems my point has flew over a couple of heads. Of course I don't think that the cost of canned fish is in any way liked to the cost of petrol. I was saying exactly the opposite. I wasn't being obtuse I was being facetious and was trying to say that paying less for shopping doesn't make me feel any better about spiralling fuel costs as I don't think the reduction in one compensates for the increase in the other. I wasn't saying the facts in Duncan's post were incorrect. I was saying that one fact had no bearing on the other.

Flew over heads, or not very well put, perhaps?
If the money in your pocket at the end of the month is still the same after fuel price rises, then they certainly do have a bearing on each other; other prices have lowered and your no worse off.

Big Col
31st August 2005, 09:18 PM
I understand the point you're making Duncan. I just don't think it's correct. As I said, I don't think the reduction in one compensates for the increase in the other. One has no bearing on the other. The cost of food or other shopping items has no direct link to the amount that people pay on petrol each month. If petrol goes up in price shopping does not come down by a proportional amount to compensate. They are independent of each other. Agree to disagree is the way forward I reckon. :)

The Dogfather
31st August 2005, 09:24 PM
Question! - Won't higher fuel prices put up the price of a tin of tuna - higher cost for the boats fuel, higher electricity bills for the canning plant and higher costs for the transportingall contributing:question:

Looks like your shopping will also be costing you more very soon as well ;)

The Americans pay far less for their fuel as there is less tax on it, we pay a heavy slice to the government in duty. SC will know the current duty level of fuel. As a result alternative fuels will become increasingly popular, LPG has only a very small amount of duty so is much cheaper (around 37p/litre) even though the raw material is the same. LPG is also less prone to price rises as there's far less demand for the fuel (although my Omega seems to be drinking a fair old amount)

Current demand for petrol/diesel is almost outstripping supply capacity especially given the reduction in refinenary capacity caused by Katrina which is causing a bit of a bottleneck at the moment. The short-term bottleneck will be removed as there are numerous refineries under construction (overseas) so prices may drop for a brief spell however the trend will be for ever increasing pump prices as China and India become more industrialised and their needs for fuel increase and crude oil the raw material will become more valuable.

Julz
31st August 2005, 09:32 PM
I also want to moan that I now pay £85 per month for kerosene instead of the £50 I had been paying up until June!!:mad:

duncan
31st August 2005, 09:35 PM
I'll agree to disagree, as IMHO the costs are linked, and not completely independant.

I would agree that Oil Prices rising does not mean shopping decreases in price. Infact its more likely that shopping would rise due to the increased transport and production costs.

However, Shopping costs are coming down, as i said earlier, due to the emergence of greater volumes of Chinese and other Asian imports, which in turn is driving an economic boom in China, which in turn makes oil consumption in developing nations like China rise, making prices of oil rise.

The Dogfather
31st August 2005, 09:48 PM
Duncan - Nice but flawed arguement, the protectionistic EU will block cheap imports with quotas and given that most shopping (food etc.) is UK or EU based you'll be paying more overall.

Also the main reason for China's increased oil demand is actually for their own domestic market not to produce knickers for M&S.

Julz
31st August 2005, 10:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

not to produce knickers for M&S.

Must admit, that made me giggle!!;)

duncan
31st August 2005, 10:02 PM

Duncan - Nice arguement, however the protectionistic EU will block cheap imports with quotas and given that most shopping (food etc.) is UK or EU based you'll be paying more overall.

Yep, agree there, Food shopping would be more likely to rise overall due to this.

The Northern EU countires seem to be wanting to cut the restrictions of cheap clothing imports from China. Is this something to do with these countries having higher fuel costs, and if the cheap clothes dry up, inflation will rise higher? This is again why I feel that all these prices are interlinked to some degree.

duncan
31st August 2005, 10:08 PM

Also the main reason for China's increased oil demand is actually for their own domestic market not to produce knickers for M&S.

Why has the level of the Chinese domestic market risen? No doubt through the levels of exports, which in turn raises the wealth of the nation, to enable them to spend more at home.

Same as how Britain became rich through the "workshop of the world" period in the 19th Century, and the US in the 20th. You export more, the domestic market develops, and gets better off, fueling greater demand from the home markets too.

Scottie
31st August 2005, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I also want to moan that I now pay £85 per month for kerosene instead of the £50 I had been paying up until June!!:mad:

who do you buy your oil from:question: Don't worry don't want your business as BP don't do mainland. Depending who you buy it from I may be able to get it at cost for you;) any wee bit helps.

p.s. Oil companies just love planned payment they will be adding anything between 5ppl to 6ppl on because of it.

they think that they have your business now and won't loose it.

Julz
31st August 2005, 10:27 PM
I get from Brogan Fuels if that means anything!:)

Scottie
31st August 2005, 11:10 PM

I get from Brogan Fuels if that means anything!:)

funny that I knew you were going to say Brogans. :disapprove:

Have you asked recently how much they are charging you for oil.

next you will be telling me they top up your tank without you needing phone

Julz
31st August 2005, 11:48 PM
Can't remember what they charge, I just pay! I think our bill was upped after we built up a £300 back-log after our rayburn went a bit daft! And yes. they top up when they're in the area, every 3 months or so!:I:) (also handy cause they have a depot in forfar!;))

Scottie
31st August 2005, 11:57 PM

Can't remember what they charge, I just pay! I think our bill was upped after we built up a £300 back-log after our rayburn went a bit daft! And yes. they top up when they're in the area, every 3 months or so!:I:) (also handy cause they have a depot in forfar!;))

I knew it:)
Well if ever you feel like saving a bob or two.;) let me know.

Scottie
1st September 2005, 12:46 AM

Col, Petrol Prices are rising for many reasons, another Hurricane Katrina (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4199584.stm),

The nation's refining infrastructure has been deeply impacted, with estimates of about 1 million barrels a day of gasoline production lost due to closed refineries impacted by the storm. BP's US refinery system continues to produce fuel for customers. None of BP's refineries were directly impacted by the hurricane, but fuel production has been disrupted by factors such as crude oil supply and pipeline availability.

The Dogfather
1st September 2005, 08:39 AM

[quote]Originally posted by bad dog mini

Why has the level of the Chinese domestic market risen? No doubt through the levels of exports, which in turn raises the wealth of the nation, to enable them to spend more at home.

Same as how Britain became rich through the "workshop of the world" period in the 19th Century, and the US in the 20th. You export more, the domestic market develops, and gets better off, fueling greater demand from the home markets too.

The export market has increased in size, but they've always been big exporters, the real pick up is the local demand for energy both electricity production and automotive, suddenly everyone in China wants to have a TV and car hence why SAIC was trying to purchase Rover.

I Want A Works
4th September 2005, 12:27 AM
Just got home from work, and dorve past the local pertol
station.

This morning Diesel and Unleaded were both 99.9

Now unleaded is 105.9:mad:, Diesel 102.9!:dead:

Mind you theis is the first time since I get rid of my first diesel in 2000, that I can mind diesel being cheaper then unleaded.

colink
4th September 2005, 12:31 AM
Just hit 100.9 for a litre of Optimax down here in Liverpool. Seriously NOT looking forward to the next time I go to my Croft on the Isle of Lewis. It'll probably be a re-mortgage job just to drive around there for a week.

Scottie
4th September 2005, 04:47 AM
aye and us poor oil companies have had to swallow a increase off over 15.00ppl in the last week without passing it on to retailers:D

The Dogfather
4th September 2005, 05:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmm! Poor oil companies? Which one would that be???? I certainly don't know any poor ones ;)

AndyP & Lenore
4th September 2005, 07:27 AM
Paid 99.9p per litre for Optimax at Gorebridge yesterday, then Andrew would not let me overtake anyone on way back to Galashiels becuase of how much it had cost.:(:disapprove:;)

Monsta Mo Mini
6th September 2005, 06:43 PM
Having done some comparisons over the past few weeks I opted for standard unleaded this week. Officially, the FSI engine is meant to be run on 97+RON fuel but costs far out weigh the small improvement in performance and fuel consumption I get from Optimax. Averaging 34 mpg over 350 miles on Optimax, 31mpg with Shell unleaded over the same distance and route.

:(:mad:

euan
6th September 2005, 09:54 PM
Why is when fuel costs more your consumption goes up?

Was getting 400 miles out of the car, and now I'm down to 330 at best. Nightmare. Had to put in nearly 58 litres last night!

colink
7th September 2005, 03:53 AM
I've decided to try and adopt some serious economy driving techniques this week on my daily 20 mile stop/start commute. We're talking keeping it under 2000 rpm, 2nd to 4th, 4th to 6th, coasting, anticipating things so far ahead I'm leaving gaps big enough to park a cal mac ferry, no air con (despite it being boiling down here in Liverpool) and desperately resisting the urge to cane the oik in the Type R who always seems to undercut me. The result of my efforts. 29.1 on the fuel computer.

Next week I'm going to boot the ar5e off it, work out the difference, mulitply that by the increased number of grins then more than likely give up on economy driving.

Oh, that Civic's gonna get it...

euan
7th September 2005, 06:38 AM
I gave up driving with the air con off, it's just too hot. Did it last night and nearly melted. The trip computer said I only had 7 miles left, so it was a precaution!

Scottie
10th September 2005, 05:08 AM
i'm confused was listening to Moray Firth Radio News and a report came on saying that the chancellor anounced today that he will freeze the duty on petrol.:clown:

so considering the duty has remained at 47.10ppl since 1/10/03 the last two times it has not been put up so what is he "freezing"???

is he hoping by saying this there will be no fuel protest.

now I know he can't do much about the barrel price or the dollar exchange rate which makes up the oil price but he sure could reduce not freeze something that has not moved for 2 years.:mad:

Wul
10th September 2005, 05:15 AM
Filled up with optimax today - 100.9p per litre in Gorebridge!! :(

Going to adopt and alternate fill-up rota of optimax and normal unleaded!

Scottie
10th September 2005, 05:19 AM
Allan filled up on Wednesday motorway station down Liverpool way 103.00ppl ultimate diesel (Touareg) cost £103.00:eek::eek:

it's now a case that the price is more than the litres you put in the car:(

colink
10th September 2005, 05:22 AM
The guy in my local Shell told me Optimax is dropping from 100.9 down to 96.9 tomorrow. :D:D:D:D:D
Of course, he told me this after I'd just put forty five effing quids worth in my car
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

colink
10th September 2005, 05:25 AM

Allan filled up on Wednesday motorway station down Liverpool way 103.00ppl ultimate diesel (Touareg) cost £103.00:eek::eek:

BP station in Formby was it? Visiting Mikey? ;)

Scottie
10th September 2005, 05:28 AM
Had a reporter from the press and journal on the phone yesterday giving me hard time on fuel prices. Like what can I do.:(

So as of this morning my average speed is 55mph:approve: = 29.1 mpg on the S:(

Scottie
10th September 2005, 05:30 AM

BP station in Formby was it? Visiting Mikey? ;)

funny you should say that check this out scary looking

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/Scary.jpg

colink
10th September 2005, 05:33 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Bet it works now tho! ;)

N12 JLK
10th September 2005, 05:27 PM
are the fuel protests still on for wednesday morning:question:. wont do any good me thinks, and i bet once the yanks get there fuel production back up to full capacity the prices wont come down :disapprove::disapprove:.

Craig
10th September 2005, 05:35 PM

Had a reporter from the press and journal on the phone yesterday giving me hard time on fuel prices. Like what can I do.:(

So as of this morning my average speed is 55mph:approve: = 29.1 mpg on the S:(

driving like me again scottiecoop ;);) Jude is getting an average of 42mpg out of her Rav - she is well chuffed:D

minidriver#1
12th September 2005, 08:16 AM
i'm pleased petrol prices are going up because hopefully it'll kurb motorists making non-essential journeys in their cars and particularly useless 4x4s.

This is why tomorrow i am making a concerted effort to cycle to work... lol.

But i am of course saddened that it'll effect essential industry around the UK...

that is all.

Big Col
12th September 2005, 04:09 PM
My car's dash looks like that pic just now SC. :(

Fontal
12th September 2005, 04:39 PM
The cheapest Petrol up here has just risen to a collosal 104.9p per ltr thank god I have converted my car to gas 54.9p per ltr

The Dogfather
13th September 2005, 02:14 AM
I paid 33.9 for gas on the road from Sunderland to Newcastle!!! :eek:

colink
13th September 2005, 06:21 AM
Just drove past a petrol station here in Liverpool and the queue out of it was 300 yards long!!! :eek:

Wot's all that about? :question: Bloody newspapers scare mongering I'll bet...

(PS - if there's been an announcement about petrol strikes then I apolgoise, but I've been golfing all day, haven't seen the news and can't be bothered depressing myself by checking out bbc news online :))

Scottie
13th September 2005, 06:31 AM
Of course most of the large hauliers have storage tanks at their depot so they are buying and getting product delivered direct into that tank so I can assure you they pay
less than the pump price and they can claim the vat back.

obviously for long hauls they have to use filling stations where they will defo have a fuel card now the fuel card prices again are less than the pump price. again claim vat back.

also there is a few bunker/keyfuel sites along the major routes of the UK where they can go and fill up with fuel and then be charged by their fuel distributor again at a price much less than the pump price.

It's only us the mugs joe public that pay the very high pump price.

Julz
13th September 2005, 04:08 PM
On my way to Tescos last night, couldn't get in for the queue for the petrol, guaranteed it was all the Dundonians who live and work in Dundee filling up so they have enough petrol to last them 3 months!!:evil: Went to get petrol myself this morning, not out of panic buying, just that I'm driving the porsche just now and it's quite gutsy!! (£80 to fill up!!) What a wait, think I annoyed everyone behind me by taking 5mins to fill up!:evil::p Local Shell charging £1.03 for Optimax!!:eek: Wish I could cycle to work, but there's those things known as the Sidlaws in the way!!:p;)

Scottie
13th September 2005, 05:01 PM
Had a drive round the petrol stations this morning.:I sad I know but hey getting paid to do it.

Glad to report not a Q in sight that is all petrol retailers. Long may it last.:)

KINGHORN
13th September 2005, 05:29 PM
P&J this morning has a pic of the Qs at birg O Dee ASDA last night, and also a small artical about pump rage lol

Gismo
13th September 2005, 08:19 PM
Montrose seems to be coping quite well, there is an excessive demand on the 3 garages, but, if people didn't just buy for the sake of it there would be plenty for all :p

Craig
14th September 2005, 01:08 AM
the shell station at the borestone roundabout in Stirling has a member of staff at the entrance asking people how much petrol they have and if they are just "topping up" for the sake of it, they are being sent away.... That is because earlier today they were closed 'cos they had run out of petrol!!:eek:

it's madness, if you don't have petrol, then you can't get to work...don't see the problem there...;):D and if it lasts for 2 days, then I'd be surprised..

colink
14th September 2005, 02:06 AM
My mate was telling me at work today that he had to fill up coz he was completely dry. He queued for 20 minutes before getting to a pump. :eek: As he was filling up, a Golf TDi pulled up next to him. The guy got out and told my mate he was dead relieved to get to a pump, then proceeded to put in £7.37 worth of diesel :mad: Yep, £7.37. My mate was shocked and asked him if he had seriously queued for 20 minutes to top up with about 1.5 gallons of diesel. In a car that gets about 3 million miles to the tank. He said he was worried that there wouldn't be any petrol left anywhere. My mate asked him of he did lots of miles but the guy said he only does about 10 a day. :mad::mad::mad: Totally over the top. He probably filled his boot with toilet paper at the same time.

weefozzy Jr
14th September 2005, 02:34 AM
lol our petrol station is completely empty. i think everyone in our town got scared and filled up, and i have a quater tank. i think the bike may be dusted off lol. its gonna kill me.

The Dogfather
14th September 2005, 03:25 AM
MINI is sat on the driveway with half a tankful, but we should be OK as LPG cars are pretty rare.

Scottie
14th September 2005, 05:00 AM
well I filled my cars at the weekend and will not fill again until they are a quarter full.

Don't these guys realise the oil companies are raking it in even more with this panic buying:(

and if I handle things ok I'll get a big fat bonus:D:D

Julz
14th September 2005, 04:57 PM

So what's next on the shopping list??;):p

Fontal
14th September 2005, 06:06 PM
On local news this morning fuel price survey, fuel has risen by 12.5% since April cheapest being 103.9p per ltr dearest 111.7p per ltr :eek::disapprove: and thats for ordinary unleaded

Scottie
14th September 2005, 06:09 PM

So what's next on the shopping list??;):p

funny you should say that:D

Scottie
14th September 2005, 09:43 PM
well it looks like this is turning into a load of fuss about nothing,

Thanks to the media for the coverage loads of folk panic buying has just made the oil companies loads of extra dosh

" today have made more deliveries in one day than on any day in our history."

Gismo
14th September 2005, 09:48 PM
To be fair the media didn't over dramatise any potential problems, rather it was the public panic buying en masse and then the media simply covering it nationwide exacerbating the problem :approve:
But, as you say, all it's done is line the pockets of the fuel companies and made them realise that if everyone can buy petrol in these circumstances then there is very little chance of the fuel price or tax being reduced
So, all in all the public have only got themselves to blame :evil:

Julz
14th September 2005, 10:26 PM
In theory though, does that not mean that sales will drop over the next few days as everyone now has a full tank of petrol??;):p

Scottie
14th September 2005, 10:40 PM

In theory though, does that not mean that sales will drop over the next few days as everyone now has a full tank of petrol??;):p

you mave have a point

but for every panic buyer there was those of us that stayed away and carried on as normal so you will see us in the stations next week filling up as usual:p:D

MartinSullivan
14th September 2005, 11:40 PM
Here you go, get your fuel from Petrol Direct (http://www.petroldirect.com) ;)

GAJ
14th September 2005, 11:56 PM
I've bought fuel in old beer bottles in India in the past. Not sure that it was optimax though although the engine did run!

Burple
15th September 2005, 12:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

"NOx Enhanced Petrol

Very rarely available in most of Europe, NOx Enhanced Petrol contains a specially dissolved nitrous oxide based compound that can really boost engine performance over short distances."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hmmmm..... ;) Is this how John's Cooper was keeping up with the modded S's??? ;);):p:p:p

"Unleaded Petrol (95 RON) - @60p/litre
Super Unleaded Petrol (100 RON) - @65p/litre"

Holy shiat are we getting screwed!!

:mad::mad::mad::dead::dead::dead:

Scottie
15th September 2005, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

was keeping up with the modded S's??? ;);):p:p:p

"Unleaded Petrol (95 RON) - @60p/litre
Super Unleaded Petrol (100 RON) - @65p/litre"

Holy shiat are we getting screwed!!

:mad::mad::mad::dead::dead::dead:

calm down it's spoof site:) you new that right:p 60.00ppl as if;)

The Dogfather
15th September 2005, 01:07 AM
Good spoof though!:D

Burple
15th September 2005, 01:43 AM
quote:
calm down it's spoof site:) you new that right:p 60.00ppl as if;)

Yip...

Just a bit of mid-week Drama to liven things up! :D:D

60p a litre indeedy. heh heh heh :D

3GGG
15th September 2005, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I've bought fuel in old beer bottles in India in the past. Not sure that it was optimax though although the engine did run!

What did it taste like GAJ? :question::eek::dead:

colink
15th September 2005, 02:48 AM
I was being smug over the last couple of days, driving past the queues and mouthing "pah, yer all idiots." I was relying on having very little mileage to do over the next few days so half a tank should do. Now discovered I have to go to Manchester tomorrow. No problems, thinks I driving into an empty Shell station. But, alas, the aforementioned idiots have used all the petrol. Next Shell, alas again. Uh-oh...

Need Optimax NOW...

Scottie
15th September 2005, 04:34 AM

I was being smug over the last couple of days, driving past the queues and mouthing "pah, yer all idiots." I was relying on having very little mileage to do over the next few days so half a tank should do. Now discovered I have to go to Manchester tomorrow. No problems, thinks I driving into an empty Shell station. But, alas, the aforementioned idiots have used all the petrol. Next Shell, alas again. Uh-oh...

Need Optimax NOW...

try BP we never run out:p;)

colink
15th September 2005, 06:56 AM
What? And drop down an octane? :eek:

Just had a wee blast on some twisties following mikeymini back from our club meet so now really really need some petrol :D

Scottie
15th September 2005, 07:04 AM

What? And drop down an octane? :eek:

Just had a wee blast on some twisties following mikeymini back from our club meet so now really really need some petrol :D

did you ask mike how my touareg was doing ?????:)

colink
15th September 2005, 07:09 AM
He was telling me the tale and showed me some piccies. Lovin' the iPod and Parrot placement. He reckons it sounds real good too now.

When are you coming back down for it? I thought you got the award for furthest travelled but he was saying he's got a guy bringing a MCS over from Switzerland!

Scottie
15th September 2005, 07:14 AM

He was telling me the tale and showed me some piccies. Lovin' the iPod and Parrot placement. He reckons it sounds real good too now.

When are you coming back down for it? I thought you got the award for furthest travelled but he was saying he's got a guy bringing a MCS over from Switzerland!

Mr ScottieCoop is flying down Monday to collect.

colink
15th September 2005, 07:17 AM
Whats the V10 diesel like? I imagine its slightly, er, torquey :p

Scottie
15th September 2005, 07:26 AM

Whats the V10 diesel like? I imagine its slightly, er, torquey :p

not to bad got her chipped aswell which helps with the torgue:cool:

colink
15th September 2005, 07:31 AM
Excellent. I like the sound of your garage! New MINIs due too, I believe?

N12 JLK
18th September 2005, 12:40 AM
oh well whays it all about, panic buying due to pretend blockades,now petrols coming down again (thank you tesco /asda) pitty all the garages who had to change there signs to accept 3 digits

GAJ
18th September 2005, 12:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

What did it taste like GAJ? :question::eek::dead:

Miller Ice!:dead:

I Want A Works
21st September 2005, 05:03 PM
Just seen a thing in the P&J, that BP are scrapping the fuel card in ALL the stations in the Highlands, apart from a few in and around Inverness, and Aviemore!

So all those card holders that used to get discounted fuel, now pay fool full price!

Thought I was just being cynical the other day thinking something was gonna happen when the local garages dropped the price by 3p a litre the other day!

Scottie
21st September 2005, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by I Want A Works

Just seen a thing in the P&J, that BP are scrapping the fuel card in ALL the stations in the Highlands, apart from a few in and around Inverness, and Aviemore!

So all those card holders that used to get discounted fuel, now pay fool full price!

Thought I was just being cynical the other day thinking something was gonna happen when the local garages dropped the price by 3p a litre the other day!

Dam Press never print a word of truth always half truths:mad:

I did type a big long explanation but then thought better of it cause you never know who reads these sites.:(

The Dogfather
22nd September 2005, 05:18 AM
Petrol prices are likely to climb again, Hurricane Rita looks like it'll hit Houston the centre of the US oil industry causing massive problems.

The hurricane has already equalled CAT 5 and is only just weaker than Katrina at her most powerful stage. Chances are that the storm will continue to strenghen and could be the most powerful hurricane to ever hit the region. :(

Nenah
22nd September 2005, 08:48 AM
Catch 22 for me - Winnie guzzels the BP Ultimate like its running out - but then again, BP is my main client and whilst barrel prices are so high theres extra budget available to spend on events...so in the end, BP pay for my fuel anyway! mmmmmmm....:)

The Dogfather
25th September 2005, 06:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nenah

Catch 22 for me - Winnie guzzels the BP Ultimate like its running out - but then again, BP is my main client and whilst barrel prices are so high theres extra budget available to spend on events...so in the end, BP pay for my fuel anyway! mmmmmmm....:)

I hope you've put your prices up as well then to cover the extra costs.:D

Nenah
28th September 2005, 01:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

I hope you've put your prices up as well then to cover the extra costs.:D

Opps!Was logged on as John - D'oH!

zoot
3rd October 2005, 07:24 PM
what's the price of petrol 98ron at the moment?
can someone convert it to euros per liter please....:cool:

sleepyrascal
3rd October 2005, 08:19 PM
99.9p ... BP premium, Aberdeen ... BLoody hell!

zoot
3rd October 2005, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

99.9p ... BP premium, Aberdeen ... BLoody hell!

about the same here.... bloody hell indeed....:mad:

The Dogfather
4th October 2005, 04:58 AM
I paid 35.9 today :D 90 miles cost me £4.82!

Scottie
4th October 2005, 05:07 AM

I paid 35.9 today :D 90 miles cost me £4.82!

An autogas vehicle typically does 20-25% less mpg than a petrol vehicle and 35-50% less mpg than diesel. This is because the energy content per unit volume of autogas is around 25% lower than petrol and much lower than diesel.

The Dogfather
4th October 2005, 05:19 PM
SC, the Omega does 20% less but the MINI has been nearer to 10% less so far, it varies car to car. The MINI is pretty uneconomical for a 1.6 so thats probably why the difference is less pronounced.

The MINI returned 30mpg during over the last 90 miles, but as its 2.5 times less to buy that equats to 75 mpg! 30mpg would give us a 270 mile range leaving a gallon in the tank.

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2005, 01:50 AM
Bad Dog, do you have the Mini computer thingy on your indicator stalk and in your display? And if so does it show you your actual MPG for the gas as well as the petrol? Does I be makin sense?

The Dogfather
5th October 2005, 10:18 PM
Er, I do have the stalk thingy but it doesn't match up with LPG. The gas system uses the signal from the petrol injectors and adds a bit of extra time to the open signal as the gas has a lower specific energy and therefore more fuel is needed with gas. The system also monitors the exhaust lamda sensor and alters the amount of fuel entering the engine if its running too rich or lean.

The fuel computer monitors the time that the petrol injectors are open to work out how much fuel is being used, however with gas it usually over reads by 15% so if it says 35mpg the actual figure on gas is nearer 30mpg.

Latest part tank of fuel took me 210 miles and cost £13.81 to refill. So this trip down south is working out to be the cheapest yet :)

euan
5th October 2005, 10:50 PM
Can I ask, how much was the conversion?

The Dogfather
8th October 2005, 06:30 AM
Euan - Conversion was £1600, and it'll take 18 months to repay itself. Its not really an option if you plan to change your car on a regular basis.

BTW cheapest LPG so far was Morrisons in Falkirk 34.9p/litre 2.8 times cheaper than unleaded. 260 miles cost £13.03!

Scottie
8th October 2005, 06:42 AM

Euan - Conversion was £1600, and it'll take 18 months to repay itself. Its not really an option if you plan to change your car on a regular basis.

BTW cheapest LPG so far was Morrisons in Falkirk 34.9p/litre 2.8 times cheaper than unleaded. 260 miles cost £13.03!

h'mm might rise sharply once the news breaks about Grangemouth :eek::eek:can't say no more than that i'm afraid

Scottie
9th October 2005, 04:38 AM
No More BP or as we knew them recently Inovenne in Grangemouth:eek::eek: Sold to Ineos:(

euan
9th October 2005, 04:57 AM
I'm beginning to think about doing this to my 3 series, but I'm about to change jobs and will be doing a LOT of miles, so i worry about resale. Will need to do some sums.

The Dogfather
9th October 2005, 07:01 AM
Euan - I intend to run my MINI into the ground so resale won't be an issue, you can usually get most of the cost back if you sell privately.

OH BTW! LPG cars are exempt from congestion charges.