PDA

View Full Version : Parking In Edinburgh During Fringe

Gismo
11th August 2005, 09:29 PM
Looks like i may be going to the Faithless concert in the Princes Street Gardens on the 29th August, a wee question to the local Edinburgers ;)
What's my best mode of transport into the city :question:
I can get a train from Montrose, but, the last one home is 9.25pm, i don't know what time the concert finishes, gates open at 4pm, they are on at 6 ish 8) so may be ok....

Failing that i could drive, but, would expect the lack of spaces would make it hard to park close

Anyone got any ideas :)

Monsta Mo Mini
11th August 2005, 09:38 PM
The big multi-storey on Castle Terrace, under Scottish Widows on Morisson Street will be your best bet. There's Greenside Place at the other end. All will be fine for spaces. The majority of festival goers tend to either be locals or have arrived by public transport.

Gismo
11th August 2005, 09:54 PM
Cheers MMM, so it's bacon butties at yours then :p
Lol, i started off thinking a nice day in Edinburgh, concert, night in hotel etc, but, the tickets are massive on eBay :eek: minime look out if you get sucked in like me :blackeye:
It's me julie's fav band of all time and this will be some surprise for her

So, for my sat nav what street is best for the car park ie, castle street or morrison street 8) i assume the Castle Terrace one is at the train station end of Princes Street :question:

Monsta Mo Mini
11th August 2005, 09:57 PM
Castle Terrace is at the West end of Princes Street between Lothian Road and the Castle. You cross the road and you're in the gardens.

Scottie
11th August 2005, 10:09 PM
don't they do park @ ride from constorphine during the festival:question: maybe it was only during the tall ships.:I

Wul
11th August 2005, 10:18 PM
Alan - As M3 says castle terrace is the nearest - although when concerts are on they sometimes lock the back gate next to that car park and make you walk all the way round to Princes Street.

Depending on what time you are heading there for you only need a ticket till 18.30 when the wardens stop so you could get a space on gerorge street/queen street or around the west end too!

Julz
11th August 2005, 10:31 PM
You could always leave your car at Dundee/Perth/Inverkeithing and train it in! We never drive to Edinburgh or Glasgow, too much hassle for me!:sleepy:

You're very good at surprising your Julie, I'm sure she'll be chuffed!;):D

Gismo
11th August 2005, 10:31 PM
I'll probably go window shopping first while me julie actually does the shopping ;) so will be there around mid day ish, the concert starts at 6pm (gates open 4pm) for around 4 hours, will the car park be open until late :question:
Don't wanna be locked out :eek:

Gismo
11th August 2005, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz
You could always leave your car at Dundee/Perth/Inverkeithing and train it in!
Was wanting to use the train, they even run from Montrose ;) but, the last train back from edinburger is 9.25pm, we'd have to miss some of the concert :(

Monsta Mo Mini
11th August 2005, 10:45 PM
Yes but you could park the car in Inverkeithing - last train back to there is 11.10pm.

Wul
11th August 2005, 11:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Yes but you could park the car in Inverkeithing - last train back to there is 11.10pm.

Sounds like a winner to me Alan - you'll pay nearly the same price in Parking & tolls as you will for the train tickets!

Gismo
11th August 2005, 11:42 PM
I might just do that, how do you pay the tolls, plus, there will probably be parcels and bags etc, i don't wanna humph that around into the concert :disapprove: so, will be taking car then 8)
Nice name under your user name by the way :D

Wul
12th August 2005, 04:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I might just do that, how do you pay the tolls, plus, there will probably be parcels and bags etc, i don't wanna humph that around into the concert :disapprove: so, will be taking car then 8)
Nice name under your user name by the way :D

Had you been drinking when you typed that post - sheesh - can someone please translate "I might just do that, how do you pay the tolls, plus," me no understand!!8):clown:;):D

Gismo
12th August 2005, 04:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Had you been drinking when you typed that post - sheesh - can someone please translate "I might just do that, how do you pay the tolls, plus," me no understand!!8):clown:;):D
The, I might just do that, referred to the parking at inverkeithing ;) how do you pay the tolls referred to the city charges???? (I think) or didn't it get passed, or did YOU refer to the bridge toll, i dunno :I and finally 8) the plus means me julie will have parcels and baggage from the shopping and if we take the train we'll i'll have to humph the bags about :approve:

Wul
12th August 2005, 05:59 PM
Ah - I see!:clown:

Yes - tolls referred to the Forth Road Bridge - the Edinburger ones got binned at the referendum!

Parking in Castle Terrace for 6 hours will cost you at least a fiver, add to that the fuel used and £1 bridge tolls and your not far off a tenner which will prob be the cost of the train fares - but as you say, harvey nics bags are a nightmare to humf around!! :p:D

Gismo
12th August 2005, 06:40 PM
Glad we got that sorted, now, all i need to know is do i put in Castle Terrace or Morrisson Street for the car park on ma sat nav :I

Wul
12th August 2005, 11:09 PM
Alan:

Postcode for the Morrison Street car park: EH3 8YJ
Postcode for the Castle Terrace car park: EH1 2DP

:)

Gismo
13th August 2005, 12:16 AM
Now i'm really confused :I i thought the car park (s) were the same but just a local slang word for the same one, so, these are two different car parks :question:
Which will be easiest to get to :p
And, i prefer to use the street name as the post code sometimes takes you to the back door up a one way street, lol

Wul
13th August 2005, 12:58 AM
Castle Terrace is the nearest - it looks over the gardens and has a back door so no probs there! :clown:

Morrison street is 2 minutes from Castle Terrace - just past the pubic triangle ;):p

N12 JLK
13th August 2005, 03:58 AM
i wouldnt bother with a fringe ,i would just keep your hair long, although it must be long if people are to park on or near it;)