PDA

View Full Version : S Spoke Tyre Profile . . .

CooperTrooper
5th August 2005, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I've bought a set of S-Spoke 17" wheels, and goin to buy some standard (non runflat) tyres at the weekend.

What do people here reccomend profile wise? im thinkin 215/45? or am i better sticking to a 205 width?

Any advice appreciated! :)

GAJ
5th August 2005, 07:20 PM
I have 215 with no problems.

RichardV
5th August 2005, 07:38 PM
Same! 215 Potenzas....very good tyres I have to say!

CooperTrooper
5th August 2005, 07:46 PM
interesting,

so 215 seems to be the size?

i take it you mean 215/45's?

i'll mibbe go for that then, anyone know how my ride will change, goin 16" runflats to these?

cheers!

GAJ
5th August 2005, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

interesting,
so 215 seems to be the size?
i take it you mean 215/45's?
i'll mibbe go for that then, anyone know how my ride will change, goin 16" runflats to these?
cheers!

Yeah 215/45. I have Goodyear F1s that size and my thoughts when changing from 16" runflats was that the ride was slightly better but you do lose some sharpness when turning in to corners.

Wul
5th August 2005, 11:07 PM
i've got 205/40's on mine - the slightly smaller diameter sharpens the steering - and the acceleration :p:cool:

T6 KFR
5th August 2005, 11:40 PM
I have the run flat tyres 16" chilli white alloys. And from what ive read so far the tyres make a big difference to the ride?????

Could someone explain why and what disadvantges they bring that most of you guys/gals change to normal tyres.

Kev

MartinSullivan
5th August 2005, 11:46 PM
The runflats are heavy, give a harsh ride and are expensive to replace

The Dogfather
6th August 2005, 02:06 AM
I've got 215/40 17s on mine had 205/45 17s until recently. 215/40 actually seem softer both with ride and steering when compares to the 205/45s.

I'm running on federals they cost £65 each (both sizes) and they're the best tyre I've had, loads of grip and they last as well.

sleepyrascal
6th August 2005, 03:22 AM
So does this mean the S spoke (standard 17" MINI alloy) can be fitted with standard non runflat tyres? John Clark assured me that this was not possible as the wheel was build differently and would not keep a tubeless tyre inflated. I must admit, I've never seen S spokes with anything but run flats.

GAJ
6th August 2005, 05:08 AM
You can fit any tyre to an S spoke. Wheels specifically for runflats have a slightly bigger flange (one of my fav words, FLANGE) but this does not mean that standard tyres won't fit though they can be a wee bit tougher to get on and off.

redpoint rallying
6th August 2005, 07:36 AM
What did John Clark's say????

I am running non run flats on the 'S' on 17" S spokes which greatly improves accelleration as the run flats are soooo heavy. I also run cut slicks (obviously non run flat) on 17" S spoke rims on the rally car and in 5 tarmac rallys have never had a deflation. JC MUST know that its also non run flats which are used on ALL Cooper Challenge cars???? A rather rash statement from them it seems....

Cheers!

sleepyrascal
6th August 2005, 11:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

What did John Clark's say????

I am running non run flats on the 'S' on 17" S spokes which greatly improves accelleration as the run flats are soooo heavy. I also run cut slicks (obviously non run flat) on 17" S spoke rims on the rally car and in 5 tarmac rallys have never had a deflation. JC MUST know that its also non run flats which are used on ALL Cooper Challenge cars???? A rather rash statement from them it seems....

Cheers!

I needed new tyres on my 17s according to JC. I said I was going to get aftermarket tyres fitted as I didn't like the run-flats but Raymond (service manager) told me that the wheels were of a special design which would not allow aftermarket tyres to be fitted. I forked out £600 big ones for new run flats. I've been conned!

The Dogfather
6th August 2005, 02:02 PM
Bloody right you have! I thought you now had 18s though?

Mini Me
6th August 2005, 05:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

a certain dealer told me this was not possible as the wheel was build differently and would not keep a tubeless tyre inflated. I must admit, I've never seen S spokes with anything but run flats.

coughtismellsh*tecoughs:eek::blackeye:
just not recommended !

This post will be deleated....:dead:

MartinSullivan
6th August 2005, 05:10 PM
Lots of dealers have told people that they cant run standard tyres on S spokes, but lots of people have done it and I havent heard of a problem

Mini Me
6th August 2005, 05:11 PM
am i just up to early MS, or did you edit that the second i posted ???
very impressed:p

MartinSullivan
6th August 2005, 05:16 PM
Up too early Minime I think, because I didnt edit anything

Mini Me
6th August 2005, 05:19 PM
bugger, am away tae sleep under ma desk:p

redpoint rallying
7th August 2005, 12:22 AM
The run flats are an option anyway on all wheel sizes.....see this from MINI's own website...

http://www.mini.co.uk/UK/en/3dview/game/content_1.htm

RR.