PDA

View Full Version : Mini Car Care

Big Gordy
14th August 2003, 05:44 PM
Have any of you bought the mini car care rucksack with the polish and stuff in it :question: Is it any good :question: I was thinking about buying one. I have always used Auto Glym products on my cars and just wondered if anybody out there had any thoughts/experience on other products worth trying :cool:

KenL
14th August 2003, 06:34 PM
I've got it. It's pretty much worth it (£25) for the bag alone.

The products are good though. The wax is exceptionally easy to use and gives a nice finish and doesn't leave white marks on the acres of black plastic trim you get on a MINI.

The wheel cleaner works a treat as well.

Big Gordy
14th August 2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks KenL :cool: Menzies are putting one aside as we speak. I thought it looked pretty cool myself but just wondered if the stuff in it was any good :D I go through quite a lot of cleaning stuff as I'm still in two washes a week mode :p God knows how much car wash I go through :eek: It must be gallons :D:clown:

KenL
14th August 2003, 07:49 PM
You don't get car wash in the kit I'm afraid Big G.

Wax, alloy cleaner, stuff for cleaning the inside, a silicone spray type stuff for external plastics, a sponge/scourer for wheel cleaning and a few microscopic polishing cloths.

I'd expect the cleaning bits bought individually would cost more than the whole bag with bits.

Big Gordy
14th August 2003, 08:05 PM
That's all right Ken ;) I buy my carwash in bulk :clown:

Linda M
14th August 2003, 11:59 PM
You'll like it Gordy :) The rucksack is very good quality and pretty cool :cool: I just 'had' to have one :I

I don't think you can beat Auto Glym stuff though.

Big Gordy
15th August 2003, 12:09 AM
What about that Maguire and Zimbo stuff they all rant about on Mini2 :question: although it does sound like very hard work and time consuming to apply :( Is it so much better to warrant the extra time/money :question:

Duncan Stewart
15th August 2003, 02:41 AM
Polish that does not leave white marks on the black plastic trim! Where can I get this? I am sick of polish (auto glym), back to black, polish, etc
Cheers

KenL
15th August 2003, 07:16 AM
MINI wax from your MINI dealer of course. I think Minty on MINI2 said it was £8 for the wax. Worth it to buy the whole kit. There is a thread on MINI2 that gives the P/N for the kit with s****y bag (£25).

Wul should be able to tell you about Meguiars.

No got a clue what Zimbo is though. Did you mean Zaino, or perhaps Zymol?

Julz
15th August 2003, 04:05 PM
I'm going to keep promoting this one, but Simoniz Teflon is great, and doesn't leave any marks on trim either! Not a prob for me as of tomorrow cause I'll have no black trim to get the polish on!:D:D

GAJ
15th August 2003, 04:09 PM
The part number for the rucksack is 83 12 0 300 434

I knew this photographic memory would come in handy one day:approve:

Now - where did I put my keys:question::clown:

Big Gordy
15th August 2003, 04:17 PM
Yes I meant zaino :I Got a mate in Glasgow who used it on his 'S'. Had to put it on with his hands he said :eek: I bet he got a few strange looks from the neighbours walking round his car rubbing his hands all over it :p Weird or what :D

KenL
15th August 2003, 04:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'm going to keep promoting this one, but Simoniz Teflon is great, and doesn't leave any marks on trim either! Not a prob for me as of tomorrow cause I'll have no black trim to get the polish on!:D:D

Are you getting the strip along the edge of the roof painted then Julz? :p

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your finished car. :cool:

Wul
15th August 2003, 05:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Yes I meant zaino :I Got a mate in Glasgow who used it on his 'S'. Had to put it on with his hands he said :eek: I bet he got a few strange looks from the neighbours walking round his car rubbing his hands all over it :p Weird or what :D

sorry Big G - it's zymol you put on with your hands! Zaino is the stuff you can't get over here as the german website who ship to the uk charge double the us retail price:eek:

I use meguiars stuff and it is very good - their gold class wax is so easy to use - apply to whole car with applicator supplied - then buff off with two dusters - if you get any on the black trim a quick rub takes it off. I finish off with a coat of their trim detailer to make my black trim look nice and glossy - these two bottles will only set you back about £18-19. and you can buy it in Bathgate from a1 autostores or from www.meguiars.co.uk all their other products are good too - scratch X; clear coat body scub; gold class car wash; wheel cleaner; leather cleaner; interior vinyl treatment.

Ken - you still after a demo of the meguairs stuff?

KenL
15th August 2003, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

[quote]Originally posted by Big Gordy

Ken - you still after a demo of the meguairs stuff?

Thanks Wul, but I think I'll just go ahead and order some. My MINI wax will be finished soon.

I was also planning on buying the trim detailer stuff.

Cheers,
Ken.

ps where do you play 5s?

Wul
15th August 2003, 06:50 PM
Play 5's indoors at Broxburn Sprts centre on a thurs and occasionally saughton on a wed and blackburn on a monday if i get time!

Re the meguiars - get it from the shop if you are out bathgate way as they sell at the same price as the website but obvioulsy you'll save on the postage.

Was considering trying out the illusive zaino stuff - but not paying £130 for the kit you can get for £57 from the us site - may have to ask the next time someone goes to the US on holiday to bring me some back!

Ken - i can recommend the clear coat body scrub and applicator pads too - i did the whole car with the scrub at the start of the summer and it got rid of all the light scratches, tar spots and marks from the paitwork prior to waxing the car. i'm gonna do it all again before the winter sets in to make sure the car is midge free heading into the winter.

KenL
15th August 2003, 07:34 PM
I'm a bit hesitant to use one if these body scrub things. My paint seems in really good order apart from a few tiny chips on the bonnet and front bumper. Also being Silver you can't really see any scratches, so I might just go with the wax.

I will have a look on their website and get another care prescription to see what they recommend.

I play 5s at the Pitz in Portobello. Got 2 sore ankles and a dodgy knee this morning though :blackeye:

KenL
15th August 2003, 07:45 PM
Wul,

Just checked out your updated gallery. Your car look sooooooooperb with the chrome mirror covers. :cool:

I am really tempted to get a black MINI next, possibly next year. :)

Wul
15th August 2003, 08:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Wul,

Just checked out your updated gallery. Your car look sooooooooperb with the chrome mirror covers. :cool:

I am really tempted to get a black MINI next, possibly next year. :)

:IAwh Shucks thanks Ken!:I Yeh thought it was about time i updated my gallery - new bits were mirror covers, vents, aerial, mudlfaps (rear) exhaust trim, handbrake grip, stainless footplate and now a 12 disc mp3 changer and head unit!:p:cool:

Still think black looks the best when clean - takes a bit more work though - but now i've added a few more bits of chrime i think it looks the business!:)

As for the body scrub - i only use it to remove any attached crud and scratches - if you don't have theses then bash on with the wax!

Recently waxed my wheels and it's amazing when you see clean stripes appear on your wheels wher raindrops hit them!:D:I

KenL
18th August 2003, 05:03 PM
Wul,

Ordered the Gold Class Wax and trim detailer so I'll let you know how I like it.

How long does the stuff take to arrive, any idea?

Cheers,
Ken.

Wul
18th August 2003, 05:56 PM
Depends - the time i ordered it was here the next day - my brother ordered stuff and it took a few days - guess it's just your donld duck Ken.

Hope you like it!