PDA

View Full Version : Auto Glym

AerokitScot69
30th July 2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Wul, i've been using the Auto Glym products on my car but have noticed your a fan of Megs. Am i doing my paint work damage??

I spray down the car with the hose to remove loose dirt, then use a basic wheel cleaner to clean the wheels with a wet towel. The Auto Glym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner is what i use to clean top to bottom with your two bucket technique. Then spray again with the hose to wash away the shampoo. I then clean the windows with regular window cleaner and was down again with water. To dry i use a shami and apply the Auto Glym super resin polish and buff to a nice sparkle.

Am i doing anything wrong or is there something i should be dong that i dont. Any tips would be cool thanks.

How can i get the white polish marks of my black arches, it leaves little lines where the cloth touches when putting the polish on.

Craig
31st July 2005, 04:16 AM
Chris,

I have used Autoglym all my days and I would swear by it. I have had no problems with your technique (near identical to mine and it's normal shiny!) I don't see any reason for your doing "damage" as you say..

I think engine cleaner will take the marks out of the black plastic...

Wul will be around soon to clear up any mistakes of mine.

Craig:D

Wul
1st August 2005, 08:34 PM
Hey there Chris - all sounds good to me - if you wan't to improve your shine though I would recommend topping the SRP off with some extra gloss protection - or their new product - ultra deep shine. These will make your shine last longer and give your paint some better protection.

As for the polish on the trim - craig is right with the engine degreaser - or you can try a spot of fairy neat on a cloth or believe it or not smooth peanut butter!! :p

chunkies
2nd August 2005, 06:51 AM
Chris, I'll back Wul up on the Peanut Butter theory........works every time but remember smooth NOT crunchy. Leaves your black trim looking very tasty.....:cool:

The Dogfather
2nd August 2005, 06:58 AM
peanut butter?? Not sure that would work on my car the dog would end up licking the trim or worse chew it!

Wul
2nd August 2005, 04:50 PM
:D:clown:

The Bull
3rd August 2005, 09:45 AM
Some say that AG SRP has more of a "cut" in it than Megs so it is fine (really fine actually!) to apply every so often but not if you are a regular waxer! :D I can't speak for Wul but I'm sure he recommends Megs as it gets you a deeper, longer lasting shine. I just converted my old man this weekend! He was complaining to me after he had done his motor with Megs Cleaner Wax that it was hard work compared to AG. After a few days of rain he can't believe how good the car still looks.

AG does seems to get you a good shine in less time but it doesn't seem to last as long IMO. I still have a bottle in my box of tricks though.

I'm not in Wuls league when it comes to car care but these are just observations I have made.:p

euan
3rd August 2005, 09:25 PM
I used to use AG stuff for washing and polishing until I saw the light :) To be perfectly honest, the shampoo is quite similar, but NXT has a nicer smell and seems to last a bit longer. The real diference i noticed was in the wax - I found that Megs went on much easier and ended up with a really nice finish.

Now, just need to work out how to get into the bit's on my alloys that I can't get at easily.

minidave
4th August 2005, 08:53 PM
Now, just need to work out how to get into the bit's on my alloys that I can't get at easily.

Easy!! take the wheels off! get some wonder wheels or i'm sure theres some meg product (if your into that sort of thing) a toothbrush and bottle brush and you'll be able to get your alloys like new.