PDA

View Full Version : Freeview

euan
25th July 2005, 06:30 PM
Well folks I need some advice.

Moving into the new place next week and I don't want to fit Telewest again. The long term plan is to get Sky+, but in the meantime I was thinking of getting Freeview to tide me over with some music channels (oh, how much will I miss VH2 - Just playing 4play now and it's 4 tracks by the Stone Roses - superb!) and E4.

Anyone recommend a Freeview box? Are they all the same or some better than others?

duncan
25th July 2005, 06:45 PM
Be careful where you are. Many places are not able to pick up free view, or require a new outside ariel.

Try here (http://www.freeview.co.uk/canireceivefreeview) to find out

euan
25th July 2005, 06:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Be careful where you are. Many places are not able to pick up free view, or require a new outside ariel.

Try here (http://www.freeview.co.uk/canireceivefreeview) to find out

Thanks for the tip Duncan - I checked it and apparently I should be able to get it without an aerial upgrade.

Craig
25th July 2005, 07:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Well folks I need some advice.

Moving into the new place next week and I don't want to fit Telewest again. The long term plan is to get Sky+, but in the meantime I was thinking of getting Freeview to tide me over with some music channels (oh, how much will I miss VH2 - Just playing 4play now and it's 4 tracks by the Stone Roses - superb!) and E4.

Anyone recommend a Freeview box? Are they all the same or some better than others?

with freeview boxes, it's a bit like everything else, you get what you pay for. I bought my mother in law a sagem one and it is OK, but not brilliant. I bought about 6 for work and they were Sony VTX800 ones and they are fantastic, get over 70 tv channels and 40 radio channels. It would be my choice. Not cheap (at around £80) but well worth the money. You can get freeview boxes from around £30 upwards, but I would advise not to go for the cheapest option as you will have problems getting some channels and have quality issues.

Best of Luck

Craig

Burple
25th July 2005, 07:11 PM
All the boxes appear to be about the same, they just look different when accessing the menus etc.
Try to avoid the ones with 'Top-Up TV' unless you specifically want it. They just cost more!! :D

The 'Music' channels are a bit iffy ;) There's only a couple and it's crappy plastic pop ALL day every day. At least you get Kerrang and Q Radio channels with it!

I've just recently got a cheap telewest package, and it's alright. MTV UK was free for a month! It just ended last night tho :(
Pimp My Ride and Pimp My Ride UK were the best things on... even tho that total chimp Westwood was the presenter. What IS he like??? ;)
Flippin' 40 year old public schoolboy hardcore gangsta rappa... yeah.. sure.. whatever Timothy.. ;);):D:D

euan
25th July 2005, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

The 'Music' channels are a bit iffy ;) There's only a couple and it's crappy plastic pop ALL day every day. At least you get Kerrang and Q Radio channels with it!

I've just recently got a cheap telewest package, and it's alright. MTV UK was free for a month! It just ended last night tho :(
Pimp My Ride and Pimp My Ride UK were the best things on... even tho that total chimp Westwood was the presenter. What IS he like??? ;)
Flippin' 40 year old public schoolboy hardcore gangsta rappa... yeah.. sure.. whatever Timothy.. ;);):D:D

Telewest is fine, but as we plan on getting Sky+ it's a bit of a stopgap solution until then and with Telewest we would need to sign up for a year.

Westwood is funny - trying to be the same as the guy who does the US version and failing miserably! It's hilarious. I heard that the one last night was a Capri - so UK :D

I'll have a look at those Sony ones, I'd heard good things about them. but like you say, but pricey. I'd heard some good things about Goodmans as well, but it's not a brand I know well.

Scottie
25th July 2005, 07:31 PM
we have a Nokia box at home in Larbert not sure if that is a good kind or not but it is rubbish keeps sticking.:evil::evil:

duncan
25th July 2005, 07:32 PM
I would have only taken Telewest for thier Broadband package. I hate the TV system that they use. Its SOOO slow for the menus.

And, I cant get freeview where I stay, in that remote part of the UK, Dundee West End :mad:

euan
25th July 2005, 08:22 PM
The menus on Telewest are much better now, they used to be horrific and unusable, but now they are actually pretty good.

I was going to make a smart remark about Dundee but have thought better of it :) Actually had a good laugh when I was there for work, we found a good tapas place we used to go to a lot. And a LOT of bars were tested :)

eddie 44
25th July 2005, 09:04 PM
go for the sky+ now, it pure brill..think sky are doing some good deals , you just have to ask.

GAJ
25th July 2005, 10:08 PM
I'd go for the Sony. I bought one recently and it is much better than the Pioneer that I used to have.

Wul
25th July 2005, 11:25 PM
Telewest have just been bought over by NTL so perhaps things might improve over time!

euan
26th July 2005, 12:20 AM
Well, at least NTL in London supply you with BBC Scotland so you can watch the Scotland games - as it stands I need to go to the pub. Hard life I know.

Think I'll get the Sony, and get Sky+ in a few months - gives me time to get the bank balance sorted after the flat purchase!

aimee_s
26th July 2005, 04:00 AM
not sure how the packages vary, or if they do...but you do get e4 on freeview-you just have to rescan your box if you dont get it at the mo-channel 41 i think me mate said!!

The Dogfather
26th July 2005, 05:05 AM
Just to throw a spanner in the works you can get sky freeview you pay about £150 and get the full sky functionality without a monthly fee or contract. You get all the channels that you'd get through freeview.

You can also pay £10 a month for the Sky + recording system.

duncan
26th July 2005, 05:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Just to throw a spanner in the works you can get sky freeview you pay about £150 and get the full sky functionality without a monthly fee or contract. You get all the channels that you'd get through freeview.

You can also pay £10 a month for the Sky + recording system.

Sky are saying its £199 for the Sky+ box, plus the £10 a month and £60 for the standard installation.

I've got a HDD/DVD recorder, so i'm happy to wait till it comes without the monthly subscription.

I'd go with the freeview box in the meantime, you can always relegate it to a portable TV when you get the full system or get a new TV with Freeview.

eddie 44
26th July 2005, 08:37 AM
i got my sky+ in january when we moved house , put it in wifes name ( new customer ) £99 free installation...... if you take out bottom package then add sport or movies you dont pay the £10
recording fee, also had another sky box fitted in bedroom only an extra £10 amonth...

ny152
26th July 2005, 10:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan
Sky are saying its £199 for the Sky+ box, plus the £10 a month and £60 for the standard installation.

I've got a HDD/DVD recorder, so i'm happy to wait till it comes without the monthly subscription.

That is the price for a replacement box i.e. getting sky+ instead of a normal sky digibox.

The cheapest way if you already have Sky installed is to go for Multiroom, a mirror of your main subscription at £10 a month.

With Multiroom you can get sky+ for £99 or a refurbished sky+ for £49, both with free installation.

As long as you have at least two of the premium channels (sky sports 1, sky sports 2, sky movies 1, sky movies 2), you don't need to pay the extra £10 a month Sky+ subscription.

The Dogfather
26th July 2005, 04:08 PM
Stuff taken from the www.freesatfromsky.com website, if you wish to upgrade to sky+ you do need to buy the Sky+ HDD recorded which costs £199 and then it costs £10 per month to subscribe to the recording facility. As far as I know Sky doesn't work with another HDD recorder and never will

<What is Freesat from Sky?

A new way to get free digital satellite TV for a simple one off payment of £150

Freesat from Sky gives access to a choice of some fantastic TV and radio programmes on offer in the UK in crystal clear digital quality. Whether it's keeping your kids entertained or simply entertaining yourself, you'll know where to find great entertainment whenever you need it. Catch all your favourites from BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel4 and five, plus great extra channels such as BBC3, BBC4, CNN, Travel Channel and loads more. And with interactive services including email, SMS text service, betting and online shopping, you can do more than just watch.
How much does it cost?

For £150, you can join a world of non stop entertainment. Your Sky box, minidish, initial viewing card and standard installation are all included. Once you’ve bought your Sky box and dish, one of our fully trained installers will visit your home and fit your equipment so there are no fiddly bits to set up.

We can even normally connect your equipment to your phone line at no extra cost so you can enjoy more of the interactive services on offer. >

euan
26th July 2005, 06:47 PM
Sky are doing an offer at the moment, Sky+ for £89, free installation so long as you take the family package + one of the premiums (so Sky Sports).

Tempting....