PDA

View Full Version : How do i change out my mini stereo????

T6 KFR
24th July 2005, 12:41 AM
Hey all,

Well i have had my cooper for about 1 week now and i cant help but hate the standard cassette player. I need to install my own pioneer MP3 one and hook up me ipod.

So question is - how do i losen the screw on the driver side to remove the mini stereo? I have located the passenger side screw (located at side when pull down glove box), but i just cant see how you get the other out. Post pics too if you can please.

Help!!!

Gismo
24th July 2005, 01:10 AM
Pull the panel down from the left hand corner to unclip it, then pull the right hand corner to unclip and then you should be able to see the screw

aimee_s
26th July 2005, 03:57 AM
prob best to do a search on the mini2 forum website-piccies a plenty there!
Quite a scary job by the way, when you pull the panel down it makes nasty loud noises like you've broken something, but you wont have.!

bpirie1000
26th July 2005, 04:25 PM
If Your Stuck Give me a shout. I'll easy Manage to Pop it in for you..

Need to Get a Fair Few Adaptors though..

Power/Speakers/Ariel/Facia.

If you have all that I'll do the hard bit..

Cheers Brian

T6 KFR
26th July 2005, 09:31 PM
Hey Brian,

Cheers for the advise mate. Yeah i was looking up net last night and realised i need the stereo fitting kit thingy...ordered it this morning and an ipod holder (looked well cool, so couldnt resist), so fingers crossed recieve in next few days.

Ill let you know if i need a help, thank you.

Kev

Wul
26th July 2005, 11:26 PM
I would advise you go for the route loosening the cupholders rather than the airbag cover as it requires more forcing of panels and the torx screws behind the panels strip threads very easily!

It all sounds difficult but it really is pretty easy if you take your time - and the sound improvement from the WAVE unit is well worth the effort.

T6 KFR
27th July 2005, 02:51 AM
i cant see how that would work Wul. I take it thats what you did?? But surely loosing the cup holders still doesnt give you access to the torx screw on the driver side. I thought its that its holding the stereo in place??

If you could explain, id be gratful mate, im dieing to get my stereo fitted.;)

Thanks

Kev

Wul
27th July 2005, 05:17 AM
Hey Kev - sorry if I confused you.

AS the others said - you need to pull the panel off below the steering wheel to access the 2 torx screws on that side. However you still can't remove the downtubes. To do this you can either loosen the airbag panel on the passenger side and the equivalent on the other side or alternatively loosen the cupholders/gear surround - this route takes a bit longer but is easier in the long run. :)

The full bhoona from MINI2:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25187
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_interior#faq_faq_head_unit

Removing the old head unit and replacing with a new or aftermarket one looks difficult, but is quite simple - if a little time consuming.

Follow these instructions:

Remove dash downtubes
Refer to DIY on removing interior bits for instructions.
Remove screws holding in stereo
Remove the four screws that hold in the standard head unit. Pull the head unit out, and remove the wires from the back.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/DIY-head_unit/stereo01.jpg
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/DIY-head_unit/stereo02.jpg

Insert fascia adapter
Assuming you are replacing the unit with an aftermarket DIN sized one, you will need a fascia adapter available from Autoleads (pn FP-06-05). Insert this into the slot.
Attach wiring adapter
Attach the appropriate wiring adapter for the year of MINI you have and the head unit you are using. The store that sold you your new unit should be able to assist with what adapter you need.
Slide in the cage
Slide in the cage for your head unit. Push the metal pins out to secure it in.
Insert new head unit
Attach the wires to your new head unit and insert it into the cage. Bend the pins on the cage if the fit is not as secure as it could be.
Refit dash downtubes

All courtesy of our friends at MINI2.com :)

bpirie1000
27th July 2005, 04:33 PM
wow Thats Like Ace..

So is that How you do it...

Hee hee...

giz a shout if there are any problems...

T6 KFR
27th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Well i recieved the goods today....very good service . 1 day delivery!"!!

I will attempt to install stereo tonight after work, so i will let you know how i get on.

Thanks Wul, that post explained alot to me. Cheers!

Kev

p.s - brian , watch out for a call!!! ha ha ha haha:)joking, i hope!