PDA

View Full Version : Wax

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 12:04 AM
When should I start waxing my car :question:

Peeps have said after 6 months others a year...well it's ma babe's 6 months birthday in 10 days, so what should I do, how and with what :p

M.

Wul
12th July 2005, 12:48 AM
Matt - the 6 months really applies to re-sprays - new car paint is cured in the factory ovens and the dealers wax them as part of the PDI - so get waxing boy!!

As for how and what - depends on how much or little you wan't to do - need more info! :)

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 04:41 PM
Would have all weekend free, so full treatment would be in order... Currently just wash with Meg's, a four hour job on it's own :eek: Should I invest in a machine or is hard work the best as I don't want to ruin ma car, or is that not possible :question:

Wul
12th July 2005, 04:56 PM
Matt - the porter cable is a great bit of kit (points him towards the for sale section ;)) but if your paint work is is good order then the following would be a good place to start.

Wash
Quick Clay
Cleanse - ie Sonus paint cleanser; megs clear coat body scrub or megs deep crystal #1
Get any residual scratches with Scratch X
NXT Tech Wax or Gold Class
Megs #16 or P21S
:D

Or if you went the Autoglym route then after claying use scratch x where required then super resin polish followed by extra gloss protection.

Wul
12th July 2005, 04:59 PM
Or...as Ken L did you could use Klasse All-in-One instead of NXT/Gold class....and on...and on :I

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 08:18 PM
porter cable :p Porter Cable PTS1 6" Dual Action Sander :question:

Sounds a lot but why not :D

What does the following do :question:

Quick Clay
Cleanse - ie Sonus paint cleanser; megs clear coat body scrub or megs deep crystal #1

and whats Megs #16 or P21S

is Scratch X like T-cut ?

Ta, M.

Wul
12th July 2005, 10:32 PM
Ok matt - from the top :)

Quick Clay - like a blob of plasticene - it grabs the bonded contaminents (tar spots, sap etc) off the paint work leaving it feeling smooth as glass.

Cleanse - after claying - you need to "feed" the gloss on your paint - cleansers remove light swirls and below surface contaminents like etching etc and improve the gloss of your paint.

Scratch X is a much less abrasive(read safer) version of T-cut which also aids gloss.

NXT Tech Wax/Gold Class/ Klasse AIO are "Three-in-one" products - ie they reduce swirls, fill and wax at the same time - but not as well as each individual product used separately.

Megs #16 and P21S are "pure" waxes (or glazes) they are final stage products and are excellent for increasing depth of shine on a well prepared surface and longer lasting than the likes of NXT etc. They can also be layered to increase their longevity.

Phew! :p:D

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 10:36 PM
Many many thanks :D

You sound as if you know what your talking about...so I'll drop ma car off to you for a wash n' wax this weekend then ;)

PS - what's this about wax'ing off in circles :p

Gismo
12th July 2005, 10:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Ok matt - from the top :)
Phew! :p:D
Just as well you keep this somewhere safe so you can copy and paste it in each time :p:I

euan
13th July 2005, 12:00 AM
Wul,

Why not create a FAQ in the top of this thread, perhaps with a few different options?

i.e., full works treatment,
standard wash

You don't have to name products, just the tasks we should all think about.

Might be an idea...

indigomatt
13th July 2005, 12:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Wul,

Why not create a FAQ in the top of this thread, perhaps with a few different options?

Might be an idea...

Not before wax'ing ma car :D