PDA

View Full Version : Air con....

indigomatt
11th July 2005, 09:48 PM
Afternoon :approve:

As I'm slowly cooking :p I was wondering if you can retro-fit air conditioning :question:

I do remember seeing it as an option a while ago in an old catalogue for £1800 (!) If so is it the manual or the climate control...

A burnt, M.

GAJ
11th July 2005, 10:30 PM
You'd probably be cheaper selling up and looking for a similarly specced car, but with A/C.

indigomatt
11th July 2005, 10:48 PM
Noooooooo :eek: I's could never sell am wee babe :p

rather pay 2 or 3 grand, btw yes I'm mad :clown:

Wul
11th July 2005, 11:00 PM
Put one of these in the passenger seat and leave the door open!! :p
http://www.dot2shop.com/productpics/B-DOT000122.jpg

Gismo
11th July 2005, 11:04 PM
Having had auto in the S and manual in both my Cooper's, i'd recommend you keep your money in your pocket
Although the auto works ok, it's just as good as opening a window or opening the dash vents, in my opinion of course ;)

Wul
12th July 2005, 12:51 AM
Agree with Bonnie - the manual air-con is not worth £k's to retro-fit - takes ages to cool the car down and by the time it does you've arrived at your destination!! :p

The Dogfather
12th July 2005, 01:25 AM
Plus you only need it for a couple of days a year in Scotland :D

Big Col
12th July 2005, 03:49 PM
I disagree with both BS and WUL. Crank the manual up with the car on recirc and AC is a godsend. Saying that you're just as well opening the window on a really hot day is pure drivel wee man, in my opinion of course. ;)

KenL
12th July 2005, 04:09 PM
Open the window. The only time you REALLY need AC is if you are stuck in traffic. The weather should turn cooler again by the end of the week so by the time you get it fitted you won't need it.

Gismo
12th July 2005, 04:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Crank the manual up with the car on recirc
Why would you want to do that :I

Wul
12th July 2005, 04:52 PM
Especially after a curry!! :I

Julz
12th July 2005, 04:59 PM
My climate control has been left on for a good few weeks now, couldn't do without it!:I There's nothing better than pressing a wee button, and by the time you've locked the garage door and shut the drive gates, the car is bloomin' freezin'!:cool: Although don't think I could justify spending a fortune retro fitting!:evil::D

GAJ
12th July 2005, 06:17 PM
I've got the auto and I have it on all the time. Apart from the fact that if you open the window you can't hear your music properly (why bother getting decent ICE and listening to it with the window open?)the air con dehumidifies the air making the inside of the car a much more pleasant place to be. I would never get another car without it. IMHO.:approve:

Julz
12th July 2005, 06:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

the air con dehumidifies the air making the inside of the car a much more pleasant place to be. I would never get another car without it. IMHO.:approve:

And also reduces the amount of nasty pollen getting in, thus reducing problems of visibility following a sneezing fit!!:dead::evil::p

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 06:38 PM
But does anyone know the cost :question: ma bonus form work is in next month :cool:

GAJ
12th July 2005, 06:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by indigomatt

But does anyone know the cost . . .
Try the Dealer Qustion Forum! (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=19)

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 07:16 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by indigomatt

But does anyone know the cost . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try the Dealer Qustion Forum!

Have now asked there, thanks :)

KenL
12th July 2005, 07:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

the air con dehumidifies the air making the inside of the car a much more pleasant place to be.

Not if you are wearing contact lenses;)

lightbody
16th August 2005, 09:24 AM
hang on... the auto aircon is mechanically identical to the manual one... you just have to know what to do with your knobs and buttons with the manual one! (oo-err missus)

As someone says above set the manual to recycle and prepare to freeze! I can testify to this working a treat in 35C heat in Spain this year - the car was like a fridge and I was able to serve chilled drinks from the glovebox.

euan
16th August 2005, 07:35 PM
I found that in REALLY hot weather the car's performance was quite badly stunted by the auto air con. Mind you, that was the other year when it was 37 down here! Although the car was nice and cool :)

I couldn't do without it down here.