PDA

View Full Version : Changing alloys

S7JGW
7th July 2005, 06:32 PM
When changing alloys what happens to the tyre sensor? Is the tyre sensor to be removed then put onto new wheels?
Jim

Cooper_si
7th July 2005, 06:41 PM
Hiya Jim

The sensor is part of the abs system, this checks the speed of each wheel, so if one wheel is going faster/slower than the others it knows theres a fault...so changing the wheels wont affect the low pressure system

MartinSullivan
7th July 2005, 06:41 PM
There is no "tyre sensor" as such, it works through the ABS, detecting a wheel rotating at a different speed to the others.

Once you change over the wheels you may need to reset the tyre pressure system but thats it.

Cooper_si
7th July 2005, 06:42 PM
you reading my mind again martin ! :D

MartinSullivan
7th July 2005, 06:42 PM
Just beat me Si ;)

Wul
7th July 2005, 07:03 PM
Jim - as the guys said - all you need do is reset the sensor.

Get in the car - put keys in ignition - prior to turning on press and hold the button below the handbrake, turn keys to position 2 and wait a few seconds - the tyre light will flash then you start the car. The light will stay on for about 20 seconds while it resets itself. :)

S7JGW
7th July 2005, 07:11 PM
Ok thanks lads should be getting my new wheels tomorrow.
Jim

minimadtez
12th July 2005, 01:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Get in the car - put keys in ignition - prior to turning on press and hold the button below the handbrake, turn keys to position 2 and wait a few seconds - the tyre light will flash then you start the car. The light will stay on for about 20 seconds while it resets itself. :)

Ermmmm just to point out....you turn the keys to position 2 THEN you hold the button under the handbrake till the 'run flat tyre indicator light' comes on, then start up the car and drive as normal.....the light will go out shortly.

Wul
12th July 2005, 03:49 AM
Tez - you are probably right - but i'm sure the way I posted works too 8)

minimadtez
13th July 2005, 01:12 AM
i dont think so...the button does nothing until the key is turned.
ive had to do it many times....due to a slow puncture and various wheel trouble! :(