PDA

View Full Version : FAULT? : Fuel Gauge Misread...

mgemie
7th July 2005, 04:07 AM
In the past few weeks i've switched on my ignition and started my engine (nothing strange there you think;)) and the fuel gauge has read absolute zero petrol!! Me confussed!! This has happened twice and both the analogue (needle) and digital fuel readout say zero, however, i knew i had a fuel tank both times since i'd been to petrol station that day/previous day.

any ideas peeps??!! Mr Brooon, your almighty knowledge please help!!

GAJ
7th July 2005, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a faulty sender.

MartinSullivan
7th July 2005, 05:53 AM
Just done a quick search on Mini2, seems to be quite a common problem, some people have had new senders and some just a software reset (like the MTH method Mgemie ;) )

Cooper_si
7th July 2005, 05:43 PM
If you didnt know...this is how to reset the software ;)

With the key in the off position press and hold the speedo reset button, turn the key to position one and the screen will say test and a number.
Go through the list by pressing the reset button upto test 19 and then wait.
The display should then say"log i-off" then "log i-on" over and over again....when "log i-off" appears again press the reset button ....and now ure in the system software.
Scroll upto 21.0 Software reset. When reset appears press the button again and u will get a beep and ure speedo needle may vibrate a little (this is normal).

Turn ignition off then back on to position 2 for 10 secs then start your car and hey presto its done.

My friends MINI had this problem and we did the above...all was fine straight after ;)

mgemie
7th July 2005, 09:52 PM
i've done this before (when applying 2nd mth map) so will give ecu another reset and see if its cures fuel gauge misread. Would i have to re-apply my mth map after this reset? Am i correct in thinking that this reset will wipe my stored driving style from the ecu as well?

MartinSullivan
7th July 2005, 10:03 PM
No need to reload the MTH, and yes it will clear your driving style - so drive like stink for 500 miles

mgemie
7th July 2005, 10:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
so drive like stink for 500 miles

not a problem chief!;);) ack... if i must:p:p;):approve:

mgemie
16th July 2005, 08:51 PM
The gauge has started doing its 'you-have-absolutely-ZERO-petrol' misread routinge almost everytime i start the engine now...i've reset the ECU on a couple of occasion (praying it was a software issue) but alas me thinks its a faulty sensor thingy. Popped into dealer this morning to pick up wiper blades and had a wee talk with them about this - am talking it in on wed so they can investigate.

MartinSullivan
16th July 2005, 09:04 PM
Thats cool then Mgemie - I did say it could be one or the other, was worth trying though

mgemie
16th July 2005, 09:20 PM
yup - was worth a try. I only wish my MINI could last a month without a visit to dealer! ack well...

mgemie
20th July 2005, 09:51 PM
its weird the gauge thing seems to have fixed itself..maybe it was scared by a visit to the dealer! Its been fine since weekend. It only seemed to do this when my tank was full and now that i've used some petrol it doesn't misread anymore - weird!! any ideas?